Differences Between DVD/CD Boot and USB Boot

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary, USB Boot and CD/DVD Boot have different processes for booting and installing software. With USB Boot, the computer can detect the presence of the USB and boot from it, while with CD/DVD Boot, a notification appears at the start to prompt the user to push a key. Additionally, in the case of USB Boot, the installation process can be accessed after logging in, similar to a hard drive, while with CD/DVD Boot, the installation can be done without logging in. This is normal behavior for both methods.
mech-eng
What are the differences between USB Boot and CD/DVD Boot. I am confused when booting from USB. My BİOS setting is set up for Legacy Mode and USB Boot but now something is different from CD/DVD boot. In DVD boot we restart PC it gives a notification at the start as push a key. Without logging in we can do the installation. But in USB case, I don't take any notification. After loggin in, under my computer I access to the setup file in the USB. The I start installation. Is this normal? Should it have been like in the case of DVD boot i.e not logging in?

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is the main difference between DVD/CD boot and USB boot?

The main difference between DVD/CD boot and USB boot is the medium used to boot the computer. DVD/CD boot uses a physical disc, while USB boot uses a USB flash drive.

2. Can any computer be booted from a DVD/CD or USB?

No, not all computers are capable of booting from a DVD/CD or USB. Older computers may not have the necessary hardware or BIOS settings to support booting from these mediums.

3. Which method is faster, DVD/CD boot or USB boot?

Generally, USB boot is faster than DVD/CD boot. This is because USB flash drives have faster data transfer rates than physical discs. However, the actual speed may vary depending on the computer's hardware and the size of the bootable files.

4. Are there any limitations to using DVD/CD boot or USB boot?

There are some limitations to using DVD/CD boot and USB boot. DVD/CD boot may not be able to support large files or multiple operating systems on one disc. USB boot may have compatibility issues with certain computer hardware.

5. Can I switch between DVD/CD boot and USB boot on the same computer?

Yes, you can switch between DVD/CD boot and USB boot on the same computer as long as the necessary hardware and BIOS settings are in place. However, keep in mind that this may require changing the boot order in the BIOS each time you want to switch between the two methods.