Does String Theory incorporate Kaluza Klein? How?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Kaluza-Klein theory and its application in string theory. It is mentioned that the theory was fixed by Witten in 1981 and includes the idea of compactifying dimensions and the emergence of gauge fields. However, the conversation also raises questions about the use of the KK ansatz in modern string theory notation and whether there are any enhancements or differences in the creation of 4d gauge bosons in different vacua. The fact that Calabi-Yau three-folds have no continuous isometry groups is also mentioned as a potential topic for further exploration.
arivero
Gold Member
From time to time, I point to string theoretists that they should have considered more seriously to use Kaluza-Klein theory and they invariably answer me "we do", and move forward. So I am starting to thing that perhaps I am wrong and I have missed some developing of the theory the the XXIth century so that now they actually are well beyond the torus compactification of last century textbooks. So the question for this thread: do they use the KK ansatz in some way hidden in the modern notation, with D-Branes, fluxes and all that stuff?

To be sure, the Kaluza Klein Ansatz was fixed by Witten 1981 (you can find the article in page 30 of "https://opasquet.fr/dl/texts/The_World_in_Eleven_Dimensions_1999.pdf" or other recopilations, but some of them seem not to be online). Basically it says the part of the metric between the compacted [itex]\phi^k[/itex] and the macroscopic [itex]x^\alpha[/itex] dimensions has the form:
[tex]
g_{\mu i}=\sum_a A^a_\mu(x^\alpha) K^a_i(\phi^k)
[/tex]with [itex]K^a_i[/itex] the Killing vectors associated to the symmetries of the compact manifold.

Then [itex]A^a_\mu[/itex] emerge as gauge fields, and this is the thing one expects to see down in the low energy theory. Of course in string theory a lot more fields can happen, from the gauge fields already present in 10 or 11 dimensions. But these ones from the metric, or an explanation of how do they dissappear, are the ones I miss in string theory lectures... are they just hidden in the notation, somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
A thing that I could be missing is that somehow the symmetry associated to Killing vectors in the Torus T6 is enhanced when stringers do the orbifold/orientifold/whateverfold operation, in ways similar for instance to quotienting a T2 by a discrete symmetry to map it into a sphere S2. If such sort of enhancements happen, I have never read of them, at least not explicitly.

Becker, Becker & Schwarz write: "In Calabi-Yau compactifications no massless vector fields are generated from the metric since [first Betti number] b1 = 0. A closely related fact is that Calabi-Yau three-folds have no continuous isometry groups."

I would like to dig deeper into this topic (though maybe not today...) for a variety of reasons. Some of the manifolds from the high point of Kaluza-Klein unification are still studied in string theory (though not in string phenomenology because of the chiral fermion problem); what has been learned? Also, it would be interesting to compare how the 4d gauge bosons are created in those vacua (from the stringy graviton), with how they are created in ordinary string phenomenology. They seem to be quite different; but is there some higher perspective (like generalized geometry) in which they are variations on the same theme?

Likes arivero
mitchell porter said:
"In Calabi-Yau compactifications
Yep, now I check it, also the textbook of Ibañez et al mentions this fact. Not sure how/if it extends to other kind of compactifications, nor if there is some twist to it.

1. Does String Theory incorporate Kaluza Klein?

Yes, String Theory does incorporate Kaluza Klein by incorporating the concept of extra dimensions proposed by Kaluza and Klein. In String Theory, these extra dimensions are in the form of tiny, curled-up dimensions that are not visible to us in our everyday macroscopic world.

2. How does String Theory incorporate Kaluza Klein?

String Theory incorporates Kaluza Klein by using it as a framework for understanding the extra dimensions in the theory. It takes the idea of extra dimensions and expands on it by proposing that these dimensions are not just extra spatial dimensions, but rather they are in the form of tiny vibrating strings. These strings are the fundamental building blocks of the universe in String Theory.

3. What role do the extra dimensions play in String Theory?

The extra dimensions in String Theory play a crucial role in explaining the fundamental forces of nature and the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. They allow for the unification of gravity with the other three fundamental forces, as well as providing a way to reconcile the theories of Einstein's general relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. Does the incorporation of Kaluza Klein in String Theory have any experimental evidence?

At this time, there is no direct experimental evidence for the extra dimensions predicted by String Theory. However, some indirect evidence has been found through experiments in particle physics and cosmology. These include observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators.

5. Are there any criticisms of incorporating Kaluza Klein in String Theory?

Yes, there are some criticisms of incorporating Kaluza Klein in String Theory. Some physicists argue that the theory is too complex and has too many arbitrary parameters, making it difficult to test and falsify. Others argue that the theory is too speculative and lacks empirical evidence. However, despite these criticisms, String Theory continues to be a popular and active area of research in theoretical physics.