NASA: We'll find signs of alien life by 2025

In summary, NASA chief scientist Ellen Stofan predicts that strong indications of life beyond Earth will be found within a decade, and definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years. Others at the panel agree and believe that finding microbial life on other planets will only be the beginning of scientific discoveries. However, the emergence of life is still a complex and unknown process, making it difficult to determine the probability of life beyond Earth. While there is evidence of meteorites from Mars on Earth, it is also possible that material from Earth could have seeded life throughout the solar system. The possibility of independent emergence of life is still uncertain and heavily studied, with some lab evidence providing plausible partial pathways but no cohesive and demonstrable route from non-life to
Sci if book I read (I have looked for it twice now) that has stuck with me, though I can't recall the title, portrayed Earth as invaded from within its own biosphere by a blight of alternative physical chemistry, akin to prions, but affecting everything. The only weapon was cold. We lost and had to watch from Mars as eventually, from the now hostile raw material, an entirely new flora and fauna emerged. Kindof "ice nine"-ish. The unanswered question was whether it was something we created...

Biology news on Phys.org
mfb said:
There are civilizations that went extinct without inventing something more intelligent. The whole human species could have gone extinct in the past if things had been a bit different.
Also, where are those more intelligent things?

Yes, some civilizations might go extint along the evolution ladder but the majority make it to the end stage. Yes you are right, the human species could have gone extint if 'things were a bit different'. But it did not EXACTLY because things are not 'a bit different' ! If the basic laws and ratios among sub atomic particles in the universe were just a bit different, the entire universe as we know it, would have not existed. As for your last question ~ if you ask that than you did not grasp the idea. You do not understand the concept. But I don't blame you. Took me years to get around it. I do not expect anybody to 'digest it' in mere minutes. I will try to help you with 'down to earth' analogies. And the best one is to imagine the next stage as "God like" . Intelligence will be sort of like God is (for the believers). Infinitely powerfull, everything, everywhere at every time. That happens because the rules of the world as we know it, brake down! "Those more intelligent things" are not part of 'this world' anymore! It is the end for 'our world'. It is a new beginning for theirs. A totally new world with new laws (where intelligence rules) . The ascension to this new world is happening to all civilizations, all over the Galaxy/Universum. We (any civilization for that matter), advance technologicaly in an exponential way (more or less). Exponential functions/graphs, are notoriously difficult to recognise as such until the very end. Until the curve 'shoots up'. And humanity is nearing the flexion point of the graph. Another 100 years perhaps? If not our children, our grandchildren might live to see the day.

Last edited:
GoMario said:
Yes, some civilizations might go extint along the evolution ladder but the majority make it to the end stage.
There is no evidence for that.
GoMario said:
But it did not EXACTLY because things are not 'a bit different' !
We just see selection bias. If we would be extinct we could not discuss here. That does not mean the evolution of similar species elsewhere would be necessary.
GoMario said:
You do not understand the concept.
I don't think you are able to judge that based on my posts.
I do not understand the concept of making claims without references, observations or logic backing them up in any way.

Likes Monsterboy, mheslep and GoMario
mfb said:
There is no evidence for that.
We just see selection bias. If we would be extinct we could not discuss here. That does not mean the evolution of similar species elsewhere would be necessary.
I don't think you are able to judge that based on my posts.
I do not understand the concept of making claims without references, observations or logic backing them up in any way.

The absence of evidence is the evidence. Well, the logic is there but one needs Intelligence to see it. Never mind. You still think 'in the box'.

GoMario said:
Yes, some civilizations might go extint along the evolution ladder but the majority make it to the end stage.
You don't know that. That is pure conjecture on your part.

Even extrapolating from a sample size of one (humanity), you can't say that. Look back at humanity's past. Most civilizations have lasted but a few hundred years and then they collapsed. Some were reborn, some multiple times, only to collapse, again and again. A couple of examples: Two thousand years before the Portuguese rounded Africa, the Phoenicians did the same. Where is Phoenicia today?

Fifty years before the Portuguese rounded Africa, the huge Chinese treasure fleet, led by junks that dwarfed any and all European ships of the time, were sailing all over the western Pacific and Indian Oceans. Then court intrigue and philosophy struck. In less than one hundred years, China had turned inward, so very inward that it became a capital offense to own or work on a junk with more than two masts.

There are lots and lots of examples of human civilizations that rose and fell.

Using a different sample size of one (the Earth), you still can't say that. A number of species has developed near-intelligence. Only one has developed the capability to escape the Earth, to communicate with nearby beings from other planets (if they exist). Our species is the only one that hasn't gotten caught in a Filter of some sort or the other, and we don't know if there are more Filters to come.What we do know is that we appear to be alone (so far). Is this lack of evidence evidence of lack? Not yet, but if lack of evidence is all we see for decades to come, it will be evidence of lack. Right now, we don't know, one way or the other.

Given that this thread has degenerated into base speculation, I am closing it for now.