Solving a trigonometric equation

In summary, to find the value of x between 0 degrees and 360 degrees satisfying the equation 10sin^2x+ 10sin x cos x - cos^2x = 2, one can use the identities sin2x = 2sinx cosx and cos2x = 1 - 2sin^2x to transform the equation into the form A sin y + B cos y = C, where y = 2x. Then, using the identity Rcosα = A, one can solve for the value of x. In order to post using mathematical language/symbols, you can use a tool such as LaTeX or MathJax to format your equations and symbols.
chwala
Gold Member
Find the value of x between 0 degrees and 360 degree satisfying the equation
10sin^2x+ 10sin x cos x - cos^2x = 2 this is how i have attempted.....
10 sin^x+ 10sin2x/2 - cos^x = 2
I used the property sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x and substituted sin x cos x with sin 2x/2 giving me....
11sin^2x + 5sin 2x -3 =0 on reaching here i got stuck...kindly advise

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the identity [itex]\sin^2 x = \frac12(1 - \cos 2x)[/itex].

is this the way to go bro...

11(0.5(1-cos 2x)+5 sin 2x - 3 =0

Honestly, this doesn't look easy in any way, if I'm completely honest. I did some checking on Wolfram-Alpha to see what needs to be done, and it looks like it needs to be somehow written in terms of the tangent function... which I suppose you could do by dividing the whole thing by cos(2x) and then rewriting the sec(2x) that comes up in terms of the tangent function.

Not that that's going to be easy, but it definitely looks like the way to go.

i need more insight on this any help or clue, Char.Limit i still don't understand.....

Char. Limit said:
Honestly, this doesn't look easy in any way, if I'm completely honest. I did some checking on Wolfram-Alpha to see what needs to be done, and it looks like it needs to be somehow written in terms of the tangent function... which I suppose you could do by dividing the whole thing by cos(2x) and then rewriting the sec(2x) that comes up in terms of the tangent function.

Not that that's going to be easy, but it definitely looks like the way to go.

Have you not had to solve problems of the form [tex]
A \cos t + B \sin t = C[/tex] before? This is basic trig: one uses the identity [tex]
R\cos(t - \alpha) = R\cos\alpha \cos t + R\sin \alpha \sin t.[/tex] Setting this equal to [itex]A \cos t + B \sin t[/itex]
yields [tex]R \cos \alpha = A \\ R \sin \alpha = B[/tex] which are easily solved for [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]\tan \alpha[/itex], and then [tex]R \cos(t - \alpha) = C[/tex] is easily solved for [itex]t[/itex].

Likes Apleo
Huh. That's actually not any trig I ever learned... very good to know, though. My bad, pas, that's definitely the way to go.

chwala said:
Find the value of x between 0 degrees and 360 degree satisfying the equation
10sin^2x+ 10sin x cos x - cos^2x = 2 this is how i have attempted.....
10 sin^x+ 10sin2x/2 - cos^x = 2
I used the property sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x and substituted sin x cos x with sin 2x/2 giving me....
11sin^2x + 5sin 2x -3 =0 on reaching here i got stuck...kindly advise

Express everything in terms of trig ratios of twice the angle using the double angle formulae:

[tex]\sin 2x = 2\sin x \cos x[/tex]

and

[tex]\cos 2x = 2\cos^2 x - 1 = 1 - 2\sin^2 x[/tex]

(you'll need both forms of the latter identity).

Then, letting [itex]y = 2x[/itex] (just for clarity), you can transform the equation into the form

[tex]A \sin y + B \cos y = C[/tex]

after which you can proceed as pasmith advised.

thanks i attempted this as follows
-11/2 cos 2x + 5 sin 2x = -5/2
-11 cos 2x + 10sin 2x=-5 and letting y=2x
-11 cos y+10sin y= -5
now this is in the form Acos t + Bsin t = c...from here and using the identity given by pasmith
Rcos α= -11 am i on the correct path thanks again curious3141,char.limit and pasmith.
i also need advise on how i can post using mathematical language/symbols like the ones used by pasmith....

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations can be solved by manipulating the trigonometric functions and using algebraic techniques.

Why is it important to solve trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. Solving these equations allows us to find unknown values and make predictions about real-world phenomena.

What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

There are several strategies for solving trigonometric equations, including using trigonometric identities, factoring, and substituting values. It is also important to use algebraic techniques, such as combining like terms and isolating variables.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identity, making algebraic errors, and not checking the solutions for extraneous values. It is important to double check all steps and solutions to ensure accuracy.

Are there any tips for solving trigonometric equations more efficiently?

One tip for solving trigonometric equations more efficiently is to memorize common trigonometric identities and their derivatives. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a calculator to visualize the problem and check solutions. Practice and familiarity with these types of equations can also lead to more efficient problem solving.