Search results

  1. F

    Determine the state of a particle

    I thought it was realated via: |+x> =1/\sqrt{2} (|+z> + 1/\sqrt{2} (|-z> but I'm not sure how this changes for |-x>.
  2. F

    Determine the state of a particle

    Thanks for the reply. You're right, I missed the square roots on z-basis expression. Thanks! I haven't checked whether \Psi is really the same. I know that the inner product of \Psi with itself should give me 1 (if indeed it's the same). But wouldn't I need to somehow go between x and z to do...
  3. F

    Determine the state of a particle

    Homework Statement It is known that there is a 36% probability of obtaining S_z = \hbar/2 and therefore a 64% chance of obtaining S_z = -\hbar/2 if a measurement of S_z is carried out on a spin 1/2 particle. In addition, it is known that the probability of finding the particle with S_x =...
  4. F

    Two-dimensional oscillators

    Whoops, that was a bad mistake. Thanks for catching that. Though I'm still not really sure what to do. My potential can then be written in terms of x and y components, right? For instance, U_x = 1/2 * k * rx^2, but I don't really see what r ought to be. I understand that there should be some...
  5. F

    Two-dimensional oscillators

    Homework Statement A puck with mass m sits on a horizontal, frictionless table attached to four identical springs (constant k and unstreched length l_0). The initial lengths of the spring a are not equal to the unstretched lengths. Find the potential for small displacements x,y and show that...
Top