Relativity, Gravitation, and Cosmology

In summary, a student is looking for a good textbook on both special and general relativity to study over the summer before their senior year in college. They are considering "A First Course in General Relativity" by Shutz and "Relativity, Gravitation, and Cosmology : A Basic Introduction" by Cheng. However, another user recommends "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by Hartle, citing it as a pedagogical masterpiece. They also mention "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler and suggest studying both Hartle and Shutz for a deeper understanding. They also mention the Special & General Relativity forum for asking questions and recommend checking out a review of Hartle and Carroll in
eep
Hi all,
I'm going to spend my summer doing some self-study in the subjects which I'll be covering in the future and I think it'd be a great time to dive into relativity. I've had some education in special relativity but I've never dealt with general relativity. I'd like a good, thorough textbook on both and was leaning towards "A First Course in General Relativity" by Shutz but I've also seen "Relativity, Gravitation, and Cosmology : A Basic Introduction" by Cheng recommended. Which do you think would be better for someone entering their senior year in college? I'm pretty sure the course taught at my university uses Schutz, but that could vary depending on who is teaching.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you make a decision you might want to read these 2 articles on teaching general relativity - http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0511073" .

I recommend Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity by Hartle, which I think is a pedagogical masterpiece. I give more detailed reasons http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/msg/1e172b13f9d8ef53?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8". In this post, I refer to Exploring Black Holes by Taylor and Wheeler.

The January 2005 issue of Physics Today contains a review of Hartle, and of Carroll, a nice, more advanced book.

If Schutz, which I also like, is going to be used for your course, maybe you should go with it, but if you do study Hartle, you might find that sudying both will give you a deeper understanding of GR than you would achieve by studying either one separately.

If you do decide to study GR this summer, the Special & General Relativity forum here is a good place to ask questions, as relativity gurus like pervect and robphy hang out there.

Finally, I am not familiar with Cheng, but I may take it out from the library in order to have a look.

Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:

I am excited to hear about your interest in self-studying relativity, gravitation, and cosmology. These are fascinating and complex subjects that have revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

In terms of choosing a textbook, both "A First Course in General Relativity" by Shutz and "Relativity, Gravitation, and Cosmology: A Basic Introduction" by Cheng are excellent choices. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and what you hope to gain from your self-study.

If you are looking for a more in-depth and mathematical approach, "A First Course in General Relativity" may be the better option. It is a well-respected textbook in the field and is commonly used in university courses. However, if you prefer a more conceptual and intuitive approach, "Relativity, Gravitation, and Cosmology" may be a better fit for you.

Regardless of which textbook you choose, I would also recommend supplementing your self-study with online resources, such as lectures and demonstrations, to enhance your understanding of the concepts.

Overall, I believe either textbook would be suitable for a senior in college, and it may be beneficial to consult with your university's physics department or professors for their recommendations as well. Good luck with your studies and enjoy diving into the fascinating world of relativity, gravitation, and cosmology!

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how objects behave in the presence of gravity and how space and time are connected. There are two main theories of relativity: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which deals with objects in accelerating frames or in the presence of gravity.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In other words, mass is constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity in a particular location.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has significantly changed our understanding of the universe. It has provided a more accurate and consistent explanation of gravity and how it affects the behavior of objects in space. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the expansion of the universe and the formation of black holes.

5. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by evidence such as the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation and the redshift of galaxies.