Showing a given set of vectors forms a Parseval frame

In summary: Parseval frame in ##\mathbb{R}^2##?I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification. In summary, we are asked to show that the given set of vectors forms a Parseval frame in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, and we can do this by using the definition of a Parseval frame and expanding the squared norm of a vector in terms of inner products with the frame vectors.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Show that the vectors
##\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(1,0), \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right), \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)##
form a Parseval frame of ##\mathbb{R}^2##, but are neither linearly independent nor orthonormal

Homework Equations

The definition of Parseval frame, according to class notes, is
"A sequence of vectors ##\displaystyle\left\{x_i \right\}_{i=1}^{k}## of an inner product space ##V## of dimension ##n (n\leq k)## is called a Parseval frame for ##V## if ##\forall x\in V##,
##||x||^2=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{k}|\langle x,x_i \rangle|^2##.​

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to interpret the definition. Or maybe I do, I just don't know how to implement it.

What I've got so far:
##||x||^2 = \langle x,x\rangle = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{3}|\langle x,x_i \rangle|^2##
##||x||^2 = \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(1,0)\right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2##

##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3} \left[\left|\left\langle x,(1,0)\right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2\right]##

Then, I suppose I take the dot product since ##\mathbb{R}^2## is my inner product space, so I let ##x = (x_1,x_2)##, where ##x_1,x_2\in\mathbb{R}##. Then I write
##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3} \left[|x_1|^2 + \left| -\frac{1}{2}x_1 + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x_2 \right|^2 + \left| -\frac{1}{2}x_1 - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x_2 \right|^2\right]##

Factoring out some constants gives me
##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3} \left[|x_1|^2 + \frac{1}{4}\left|x_1 - \sqrt{3}x_2 \right|^2 + \frac{1}{4}\left|x_1 + \sqrt{3}x_2 \right|^2\right]##

And that's all I've done. I'm not sure if I'm even doing this right. I've already shown that the vectors aren't linearly independent and orthonormal. Any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

First, let's start by understanding the definition of a Parseval frame. A Parseval frame is a set of vectors in an inner product space that satisfies a certain property. This property states that for any vector in the space, the squared norm of that vector is equal to the sum of the squared inner products of that vector with each of the vectors in the frame. In other words, the squared norm of a vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the squared inner products of the vector with the frame vectors.

Now, let's apply this definition to the given problem. We are asked to show that the given set of vectors forms a Parseval frame in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. This means that we need to show that for any vector ##x = (x_1, x_2)## in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, we have:

##||x||^2 = \sum_{i=1}^{3} |\langle x, x_i \rangle|^2##

As you have correctly done, we can expand the squared norm of ##x## in terms of the inner products with the frame vectors. This gives us:

##||x||^2 = \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(1,0)\right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2 + \left|\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\left(-\frac{1}{2},-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \right\rangle\right|^2##

Now, we can use the definition of inner product to expand each of these inner products:

##\left\langle x,\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(1,0)\right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}(x_1, x_2) \cdot (1,0) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}x_1##

Similarly, we can find the inner products with the other two frame vectors. Can you use this

1. What is a Parseval frame?

A Parseval frame is a set of vectors in a Hilbert space that satisfies the Parseval identity. This means that the sum of the squared magnitudes of the vectors in the set is equal to the norm of any vector in the Hilbert space squared.

2. How do I know if a given set of vectors forms a Parseval frame?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a Parseval frame, you can check if the Parseval identity holds true for the set. This can be done by calculating the squared norm of each vector in the set and then summing these values. If the resulting sum is equal to the squared norm of any vector in the Hilbert space, then the set forms a Parseval frame.

3. What are the benefits of using a Parseval frame?

A Parseval frame has several benefits, including being a complete and orthonormal basis for the Hilbert space, allowing for efficient and accurate signal reconstruction, and providing a measure of the energy of a signal in the Hilbert space.

4. Can a given set of vectors form a Parseval frame in different Hilbert spaces?

Yes, it is possible for a set of vectors to form a Parseval frame in different Hilbert spaces. However, the Parseval identity may be different in each Hilbert space, depending on the inner product used to define the norms.

5. How can I construct a Parseval frame?

There are several methods for constructing a Parseval frame, including the Gram-Schmidt process, the discrete Fourier transform, and wavelet transforms. These methods involve manipulating the given set of vectors to satisfy the Parseval identity and form a complete and orthonormal basis for the Hilbert space.