Summation - needs to get the constant out

In summary: So the series can be written as the sum of two series, one of which contains the constant C, and one of which does not.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the constant C in a series, where the series also includes constants alpha and beta. The participants suggest factoring out the denominator and manipulating the series to separate the constant C from the rest of the terms, but it is mentioned that this may not be possible in all cases. The conversation ends without a clear solution to the problem.
liiamra
Hello All,

I have what I think an easy summation, but I haven't worked with math for very long - I don't know the term which I should search the internet for in order to solve the problem and so I would be very thankful if you help me get the constant C out of the summation:

[itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\beta^{t}[/itex][itex]\frac{C(1-g)^{t}-1}{1-\alpha}[/itex]

Where α,β, and C are all constant and I am interested in getting C out.
If it was straight multiplication, I could directly take C out multiplied by Ʃ.
If it was pure addition, I could also take C*N out + Ʃ.

Thanks in Advance,
liiamra

Physics news on Phys.org
Just as a quick add:

I think that if I simplify to:

[itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\beta^{t}C(1-g)^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{\beta^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]

I could get the C constant out, but the only problem is that I will end up with:

[itex]C\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\beta^{t}(1-g)^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]- [itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\beta^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]

and if the above is correct, the problem is the second term which I want to avoid in order to eliminate C at a later stage by dividing the whole thing by another sum which has the same constant C.

Any ideas

Last edited:
If you multiply each term in a sum by a constant factor C, then you wind up with C * sum. This is basic arithmetic.

I don't know if I got you right! because:

- I don't want to end up with c*(cƩ-Ʃ) which is nothing really
- Further, 3*2-3*1 are not the same as 2-1

Thanks anyways for the post

3*2 - 3*1 = 3*(2 - 1)

This is called the distributive property.

Factoring out a constant from a sum does not mean that the constant disappears.

In the series given in the OP, the denominator, 1 - alpha, is common to all terms of the series and can be factored out.

Thanks again, but suppose I have the following which can serve as a perfect simplification of the problem:

Ʃa^t*C - a^T

your answer suggests that it becomes ƩC(a^t*C - a^T) and this is not a solution- beside, indeed the denominator can be factored out but I am interested in factoring the C out.

Thanks again and Regards

Hi again,

The last equation is not equivalent- but the problem, after factoring the (1/1-α) out, can be expressed as:

[itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\beta^{t}{C(1-g)^{t}-\beta^{t}}[/itex]

where I need to get the constant C out.

Regards

welcome to pf!

hello liiamra! welcome to pf! :smile:
liiamra said:
I think that if I simplify to:

[itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\beta^{t}C(1-g)^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{\beta^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]

I could get the C constant out, but the only problem is that I will end up with:

[itex]C\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\beta^{t}(1-g)^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]- [itex]\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{\beta^{t}}{1-\alpha}[/itex]

that's correct
… the problem is the second term which I want to avoid in order to eliminate C at a later stage by dividing the whole thing by another sum which has the same constant C.

you mean, you have two equations P = C∑A + B, Q = C∑D + E ?

then write C∑A = B - P, C∑D = E - Q, and divide :wink:

Thanks Tin-tim,

No, suppose I have the following two equations:

[itex]x=\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\beta^{t}{C(1-g)^{t}-\beta^{t}}[/itex]
[itex]y=\sum^{N}_{t=1}[/itex][itex]\beta^{t}{C(1+k)^{t}-\beta^{t}}[/itex]

I want to calculate [itex]\frac{x}{y}[/itex], and in the process I need to eleminate C as I don't have its value.

Any ideas?

Thanks again and regards//

liiamra said:
I want to calculate [itex]\frac{x}{y}[/itex], and in the process I need to eleminate C as I don't have its value.

Any ideas?

no, i think the best you can do is find [itex]\frac{x + \beta^t}{y + \beta^t}[/itex] :redface:

Thanks Tiny-tim,

The actual equations I am trying to equate are pretty large, and apparently there must be a trick to calculate the variable (found in one of the two equations) - most probably it should be a closed form solution.

So far, I don't think there will be a solution and so I thank you and thank SteamKing for your contributions.

Have a good day//

All Best

liiamra said:
Thanks again, but suppose I have the following which can serve as a perfect simplification of the problem:

Ʃa^t*C - a^T

your answer suggests that it becomes ƩC(a^t*C - a^T) and this is not a solution- beside, indeed the denominator can be factored out but I am interested in factoring the C out.

Thanks again and Regards

I have suggested no such thing. The factor must be included in all terms of the series before it can be taken outside the summation. However, you should note the the series in the OP can be re-written as two series, since you have beta^t * C * (1 - g^t) - 1, after factoring out the denominator (1 - alpha).

What is summation?

Summation is a mathematical operation that adds together a sequence of numbers or terms. It is represented by the symbol ∑ and is commonly used in statistics, calculus, and other fields of mathematics.

How do you solve a summation problem?

To solve a summation problem, you need to find the sum of all the numbers or terms in the sequence. This can be done by using a formula or by manually adding each term. It is important to pay attention to the pattern of the sequence and use the correct formula or method for solving the problem.

What does it mean to "get the constant out" in summation?

Getting the constant out in summation means to factor out a constant that is being multiplied by each term in the sequence. This can make the problem easier to solve and can also help to find a general formula for the summation.

Why is it important to get the constant out in summation?

Getting the constant out in summation can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. It can also help to find a general formula for the summation, which can be used to easily solve similar problems in the future.

What are some common mistakes when trying to get the constant out in summation?

Some common mistakes when trying to get the constant out in summation include forgetting to factor out the constant, using the wrong formula or method, and not paying attention to the pattern of the sequence. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct steps to get the constant out.