Understanding the Dot Product in Fermi Normal Coordinates

In summary, the equation 13.60 in MTW states that the covariant derivative of the tetrad vector with respect to the vector u is equal to the antisymmetric connection dotted with the tetrad vector. The contraction of the antisymmetric connection with the tetrad vector is performed over the index chosen, which can result in a change of sign. The rest of the equation is equivalent to the definition of the derivative operator \nabla_u in a coordinate basis, where the plus sign is used instead of the minus sign and the chain rule is applied. The sign issue with the contraction of the antisymmetric connection is noted but not resolved.
mikeu
I'm following the derivation of Fermi coordinates in MTW, section 13.6. Equation 13.60 states
[tex]\mathbf{\nabla_ue}_{\hat{\alpha}} = -\mathbf{\Omega\cdot e}_{\hat{\alpha}}[/tex]
where [itex]\Omega^{\mu\nu}[/itex] is antisymmetric (and [itex]\hat{\alpha}[/itex] is the tetrad label). My question is, over which index is the contraction of Omega with e performed? We have
[tex]\Omega^{\mu\nu}e_\mu = - \Omega^{\nu\mu}e_\mu[/tex]
so the result changes sign depending on the index chosen, but I can't find the authors' definition of the dot product between anything besides two vectors. Also, just want to check that my interpretation of the rest of the equation is correct... It's equivalent to
[tex]u^\beta\left(\partial_\beta e^\mu_{\hat{\alpha}} - \Gamma^\mu_{\beta\gamma}e^\gamma_\hat{\alpha}\right) = -g_{\beta\gamma}\Omega^{\mu\beta}e^\gamma_\hat{\alpha}[/tex]
maybe with the mu and beta swapped on the Omega, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have MTW handy, so I'm just going to do some calculations and see what happens, and I'll attempt answers to your 2 questions in 2 separate posts.

First question. You're right about the ambiguity in the definition of contraction, so I'll start by defining

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathbf{\Omega\cdot v} &= \Omega^{\gamma\beta} v_{\gamma} \mathbf{e}_{\beta}\\
&= \Omega_{\gamma}{}^{\beta} v^{\gamma} \mathbf{e}_{\beta},
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

giving

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathbf{\Omega\cdot e}_{\hat{\alpha}} &= \Omega_{\hat{\gamma}}{}^{\hat{\beta}} \delta^{\hat{\gamma}}_{\hat{\alpha}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}}\\
&= \Omega_{\hat{\alpha}}{}^{\hat{\beta}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}}.
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

MTW's antisymmetric [itex]\mathbf{\Omega}[/itex] is just the connection, which has a pair of components that are antisymmetric with respect to a tetrad. To see this, take the covariant derivative of (the constants) [itex]\eta_{\hat{\mu}\hat{\nu}} = \mathbf{g}\left( \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\mu}}, \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\nu}} \right)[/itex], remembering that the connection is metric compatible, i.e., that [itex]\mathbf{\nabla g} = 0[/itex]. This gives

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
0 &= \mathbf{g}\left( \mathbf{\nabla}_{\hat{\alpha}}\mathbf{e}_{\hat{\mu}}, \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\nu}} \right) + \mathbf{g}\left( \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\mu}}, \mathbf{\nabla}_{\hat{\alpha}}\mathbf{e}_{\hat{\nu}} \right)\\
&= \mathbf{g}\left( \Gamma^{\hat{\beta}}{}_{\hat{\mu}\hat{\alpha}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}}, \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\nu}} \right) + \mathbf{g}\left( \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\mu}}, \Gamma^{\hat{\beta}}{}_{\hat{\nu}\hat{\alpha}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}} \right)\\
&= \Gamma^{\hat{\beta}}{}_{\hat{\mu}\hat{\alpha}} \eta_{\hat{\beta}\hat{\nu}} + \Gamma^{\hat{\beta}}{}_{\hat{\nu}\hat{\alpha}} \eta_{\hat{\mu}\hat{\beta}}\\
&= \Gamma_{\hat{\nu}\hat{\mu}\hat{\alpha}} +\Gamma_{\hat{\mu}\hat{\nu}\hat{\alpha}}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

I hope that I have used MTW's convention for the connection.

Now, with [itex]\mathbf{u} = \mathbf{e}_{\hat{0}}[/itex],

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathbf{\nabla}_{\hat{0}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\alpha}} &= \Gamma^{\hat{\beta}}{}_{\hat{\alpha}\hat{0}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}}\\
&= -\Gamma_{\hat{\alpha}}{}^{\hat{\beta}}{}_{\hat{0}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}}\\
&= - \Omega_{\hat{\alpha}}{}^{\hat{\beta}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\beta}}\\
&= -\mathbf{\Omega\cdot e}_{\hat{\alpha}},
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

where [itex]\Omega_{\hat{\alpha}\hat{\beta}} := \Gamma_{\hat{\alpha}\hat{\beta}\hat{0}}[/itex].

Second question. Let [itex]\left\{ \mathbf{e}_{\mu} \right\}[/itex] be a coordinate basis and let [itex]\left\{ \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\alpha}} \right\}[/itex] be an orthonormal tetrad along the observer's worldline. Since both are bases, along the wordline there is a transformation that relates them:

[tex]
\mathbf{e}_{\hat{\alpha}} = e^{\mu}_{\hat{\alpha}} \mathbf{e}_{\mu}.
[/tex]

Then,

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathbf{\nabla_{u} e}_{\hat{\alpha}} &= u^{\beta} \mathbf{\nabla}_{\beta} \left( e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} \mathbf{e}_{\gamma} \right)\\
&= u^{\beta} \left[ \left( \partial_{\beta} e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} \right) \mathbf{e}_{\gamma} + e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} \mathbf{\nabla}_{\beta} \mathbf{e}_{\gamma} \right]\\
&= u^{\beta} \left[ \left( \partial_{\beta} e^{\mu}_{\hat{\alpha}} \right) \mathbf{e}_{\mu} + e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} \Gamma^{\mu}{}_{\gamma\beta} \mathbf{e}_{\mu} \right]\\
&= u^{\beta} \left[ \left( \partial_{\beta} e^{\mu}_{\hat{\alpha}} \right) + e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} \Gamma^{\mu}{}_{\gamma\beta} \right] \mathbf{e}_{\mu}.
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

From my previous post,

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathbf{\nabla_{u} e}_{\hat{\alpha}} &= -\Omega_{\hat{\alpha}}{}^{\hat{\nu}} \mathbf{e}_{\hat{\nu}}\\
&= -\Omega_{\hat{\alpha}}{}^{\hat{\nu}} e^{\mu}_{\hat{\nu}} \mathbf{e}_{\mu}\\
&= -\eta_{\hat{\alpha}\hat{\delta}} \Omega^{\hat{\delta}\hat{\nu}} e^{\mu}_{\hat{\nu}} \mathbf{e}_{\mu}\\
&= -e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} e^{\beta}_{\hat{\delta}} g_{\gamma \beta} \Omega^{\hat{\delta}\hat{\nu}} e^{\mu}_{\hat{\nu}} \mathbf{e}_{\mu}\\
&= -e^{\gamma}_{\hat{\alpha}} g_{\gamma\beta} \Omega^{\beta\mu} \mathbf{e}_{\mu}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

I'm often quite careless when I do calculations, so there could well be mistakes in these posts.

Regards,
George

mikeu said:
Also, just want to check that my interpretation of the rest of the equation is correct... It's equivalent to
[tex]u^\beta\left(\partial_\beta e^\mu_{\hat{\alpha}} - \Gamma^\mu_{\beta\gamma}e^\gamma_\hat{\alpha}\right) = -g_{\beta\gamma}\Omega^{\mu\beta}e^\gamma_\hat{\alpha}[/tex]
maybe with the mu and beta swapped on the Omega, right?

I think that there should be a plus sign inside of the parenthisis on the left hand side, similar to George's remarks.

I find that Wald is a lot clearer on the definition of the derivative operator [itex]\nabla_u[/itex]. In any coordinate basis we have

[tex]
\nabla_u t^a = \partial_u t^a + \Gamma^a{}_{ub} t^b
[/tex]

Note that this does require that we be in a coordinate basis.

This is the same as your LHS with the minus sign replaced by a plus sign, except that you have additionally expanded [itex]\partial_u[/itex] by the chain rule.

I don't see any problems with your right hand side, except for the possible sign issue that you've already noted (which index you contract with).

It's not needed for this problem, but it's probably good to know that

[tex]
\nabla_u t_a = \partial_u t_a - \Gamma^b{}_{ua} t^b
[/tex]

You might also find it handy to note that you can make the spacing in the Christoffel symbols look right by the following latex

\Gamma^a{}_{bc}

the empty pair of braces after the 'a' makes the vertical position of {bc} line up correctly.

Hey prevect, thanks for that LaTeX tip!

What are Fermi normal coordinates?

Fermi normal coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in the theory of general relativity. They are locally inertial coordinates that are defined at a specific point in spacetime and allow for the description of the curvature of spacetime around that point.

How are Fermi normal coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Fermi normal coordinates are unique in that they are defined at a specific point and are only valid in a small region around that point. They are also designed to take into account the curvature of spacetime, unlike other coordinate systems which may not accurately describe the local geometry.

What is the significance of using Fermi normal coordinates?

Using Fermi normal coordinates allows for a simplified representation of the local geometry, making it easier to study and analyze the effects of gravity. They also allow for the comparison of different points in spacetime, making it possible to describe the curvature of spacetime in a meaningful way.

Can Fermi normal coordinates be used in any situation?

No, Fermi normal coordinates are only valid in regions with a weak gravitational field. In regions where the gravitational field is strong, such as near a black hole, they may not accurately describe the curvature of spacetime and other coordinate systems may be more appropriate.

How are Fermi normal coordinates calculated?

Fermi normal coordinates are calculated using a mathematical transformation from standard coordinates, taking into account the local gravitational field and the curvature of spacetime. This transformation can be quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.