Can anyone show me how to work this problem out?

• Thread starter phywhat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the speed of light and sound and how it can be used to calculate the distance of an event. The suggested formula is \Delta t=s[\frac{1}{v_{sound}}-\frac{1}{v_{light}}] and the value of the integer n is found to be 749999, which occurs at 255 km. However, this is not the exact answer as the given speeds are not exact.
phywhat
Can anyone show me how to work this problem out?

The speed of light is 3.0*10^8 m/s and the speed of sound is 340 m/s. Find the vaule of the interger n in the following statement:"If you start counting seconds when you see something happen and stop when you hear it happen, for every n seconds counted the event was about 1 km away."

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Here's a hint: for all practical purposes you can treat the light as arriving instantly compared to the sound. So... how long does it take the sound to travel 1 km?

I think doc al gave it away. :approve:

[tex]\Delta t=t_{stop}-t_{start}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta t=s[\frac{1}{v_{sound}}-\frac{1}{v_{light}}][/tex]
For s = 1 km,
[tex]\Delta t=2.9s=3s[/tex]
n=3 s

Attachments

• Explain.gif
    Explain.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 439
but 3 is not the exact answer is it?

I'll show my calculation.

time take light to travel 1000 m is 1000/(3 *10^8) = a

Sound traveled a distance during that time 340 * a = 1/750 m

So sound should reach there when:

(1000-(1/750)/340 = 749 999/255000 s

so each n = 749 999/255000s for each km

shouldn't the integer be 749999 which happen at 255 km , unless 749999 is not prime...

Last edited:
needhelpperson said:
but 3 is not the exact answer is it?
But neither is 3 x 10^8 m/s the exact speed of light, nor 340 m/s the exact speed of sound.
shouldn't the integer be 749999 which happen at 255 km , unless 749999 is not prime...
I think you've missed the point of this simple exercise. :wink:

1. How do I approach solving this problem?

First, read through the problem carefully to understand what is being asked. Then, identify any given information and what you need to find. Finally, choose a problem-solving strategy or formula that applies to the problem and begin working through the steps.

2. What if I don't understand the problem or the steps to solve it?

If you are having trouble understanding the problem or the steps, try breaking it down into smaller parts or using a different approach. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or peer who may be able to explain it in a different way.

3. How do I check if my answer is correct?

After solving the problem, double-check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem or using a calculator. If your answer matches the given solution or is close to it, then it is likely correct. Additionally, you can ask someone else to check your work or use online resources for practice problems and solutions.

4. What if I get stuck or make a mistake while working on the problem?

It is normal to get stuck or make mistakes while solving a problem. If you get stuck, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. If you make a mistake, try to find where you went wrong and correct it. Remember to double-check your work before moving on.

5. Are there any tips for solving problems more efficiently?

Yes, there are several tips for solving problems more efficiently. Some helpful strategies include drawing a diagram or creating a table to organize information, using mental math shortcuts, and practicing regularly to improve problem-solving skills. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek additional resources when needed.