How to Solve the Chocolate Eating Math Brain Teaser?

• Thread starter amathea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, this trick will help you find your age by following these steps: 1. Pick a number between 1 and 10 for how many times you want to eat chocolate each week. 2. Multiply this number by 2, add 5, then multiply it by 50. 3. If you have already had your birthday this year, add 1753. If not, add 1752. 4. Finally, subtract the four digit year when you were born. The first digit will be your original number and the last two digits will be your age.
amathea
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum.Please be gentle since it is my first post

Found it in a magazine...and as much as I've tried - I cannot solve how it is done. I am sure someone can be of help.

1.First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to eat chocolate (try for more than once but less than 10).

2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold).

3. Add 5 (for Sunday).

4. Multiply it by 50 (I'll wait while you get the calculator).

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1753, if not, add 1752.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.

You should have a three digit number. The first digit of this was your original number (how many times you want to eat chocolate each week). The next two numbers are.. YOUR AGE!

Thank you and enjoy :)

Ama

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1.First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like to eat chocolate (try for more than once but less than 10).
Let n be the number you pick, where 10> n >= 1

2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold).

3. Add 5 (for Sunday).

4. Multiply it by 50 (I'll wait while you get the calculator).
100n + 250

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1753, if not, add 1752.
If you haven't had your birthday this year, you'll get 100n + 2002
If you have had your birthday this year, you'll get 100n + 2003

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
After sutracting the year when you were born, your age, which is a 2 digit number, will appear in the last 2 digits.
100n explains why the first digit was the original number you picked.

This is a fun math brain teaser! Here's how to solve it:

1. Let's say I want to eat chocolate 3 times a week.

2. Multiply 3 by 2 to get 6.

3. Add 5 to get 11.

4. Multiply 11 by 50 to get 550.

5. Since my birthday has already passed this year, I'll add 1753 to get 2303.

6. Now, subtract my birth year (1995) from 2303 to get 308.

The first digit (3) is my original number of times I want to eat chocolate each week, and the next two digits (08) represent my age (23)!

Thanks for sharing this brain teaser, Ama. It was a fun challenge to solve.

1. What are math brain teasers?

Math brain teasers are puzzles or problems that require mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. They often involve numbers, patterns, and logical reasoning.

2. What makes a good math brain teaser?

A good math brain teaser should be challenging but not impossible, require critical thinking and creativity, and have a clear and logical solution. It should also be fun and engaging.

3. How can math brain teasers improve my math skills?

Math brain teasers can improve your math skills by strengthening your problem-solving abilities, logical thinking, and number sense. They can also help you learn new math concepts and improve your speed and accuracy in calculations.

4. Are math brain teasers only for advanced math students?

No, math brain teasers can be enjoyed by students of all levels. There are different levels of difficulty for math brain teasers, so you can choose ones that suit your skill level. They can also be a fun and engaging way for beginners to learn and practice basic math concepts.

5. How can I find math brain teasers to solve?

Math brain teasers can be found in books, online, and in various educational resources. You can also create your own using math concepts and puzzles. Joining a math club or participating in math competitions can also provide access to a variety of brain teasers.