Daft question but it's getting late.

• Thread starter rdt2
  • Start date
In summary, the universe is the same size it always was, but the measuring sticks have been stretched by the expansion of space.
rdt2
Daft question... but it's getting late.

Excuse me for being stupid but...

If space itself is expanding, aren't all our measuring sticks also expanding? So if space was smaller in the past, weren't all the measuring sticks correspondingly smaller? Which would make the Universe the same measured size now as it always was? Albeit less lumpy.

Forgive, me it's not my subject - answers in words of one syllable would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sorry - just seen another thread further down with essentially the same question. I'll go there.

Originally posted by rdt2
...If space itself is expanding, aren't all our measuring sticks also expanding? ...- answers in words of one syllable would be appreciated.

this is the most frequently asked question, or failure to ask it is the most frequent source of misunderstanding, in all of PF
At least AFAIK (as far as I know, such a useful abbr.!)

The answer SHOULD be available in words of one syllable. That is a very good idea. The answer is quite easy, but, since it is never given in words of one syllable, the people who ought to get it never do quite get it and so keep on asking and asking.

Suppose you have a steel measuring tape made mostly of iron atoms.
there is a preferred distance apart which is most comfortable for them, at room temp, to sit.
So iron atoms have a preferred spacing, and some number of spacings N will constitute a meter, or a kilometer.

Suppose you then stretch the tape. It will still want to go back to the earlier spacing. A meter will stay a meters----N iron atom spacings.

So you have two "galaxies" or other objects, say a kilometer apart. And distances between galaxies increase over time (this is what space expanding means). So you run the kilometer-long metal tape between them and wait for a billion years and come back and find they are say 1 percent farther apart. This has stretched the tape, and it does not like this. It has been stretched to where it is 1.01 kilometers long.

So you release one end and it contracts back to where it is 1.00 kilometers long. The "galaxies" are 1.01 km apart and the tape no longer reaches. After all the tape has only so and so many iron atoms in it (nobody came along and put more iron in the tape) and they have a preferred spacing that depends on their electric charge and their electrons.

So the tape does not quite reach any more.

This is what it means for galaxies to get farther apart. They get more METERS apart. And meters stay the same thing.

Last edited:
Marcus,

Your input would be appreciated. I've moved to Vera's 'expanding people' thread.

Regards,

ron.

I'll close up this one then.

1. What is a "Daft question"?

A "Daft question" is a term used to describe a question that may seem silly or foolish to some people. It is often used to dismiss a question or to express frustration with a question that is deemed irrelevant or obvious.

2. Why is the phrase "Daft question but it's getting late" commonly used?

The phrase "Daft question but it's getting late" is commonly used as a way to acknowledge that the question being asked may not be the most important or relevant at the moment, but it is still worth asking before the conversation ends due to time constraints.

3. Is it rude to use the phrase "Daft question but it's getting late"?

It depends on the context and tone in which the phrase is used. In some cases, it may come across as dismissive or condescending. It is important to consider the feelings of the person you are speaking to and to use the phrase with caution.

4. What are some alternative phrases to use instead of "Daft question but it's getting late"?

Some alternative phrases that convey a similar meaning could be "Forgive me for asking, but time is running out," or "I know this may not be the most pressing question, but I'm curious." It is always best to be polite and respectful when acknowledging a question may not be the most important at the moment.

5. How can I respond to someone who uses the phrase "Daft question but it's getting late"?

You can respond by acknowledging the time constraint and asking if it would be better to continue the conversation at a later time. You can also politely explain why the question is important to you and ask for their input before time runs out. It is important to communicate effectively and respectfully in any conversation.