Billiard balls in headon collision with one at rest

In summary, we have two billiard balls, one traveling at 4.0m/s and the other initially at rest, that collide with an elastic head-on collision. After the collision, the first ball comes to a complete stop and we are asked to find the speed of the second ball. Since the collision is elastic, kinetic energy is conserved. Therefore, the second ball takes the first's kinetic energy. To conserve momentum, we use the equation m_1 v_{1i}+m_{2}v_{2i}=m_1 v_{1f}+ m_2 v_{2f}, where m_1 and m_2 are equal masses and v_{1i} is given as 4
careysnum1fan
a billiard ball traveling 4.0m/s has an elastic head on collision witha billiard ball of equal mass that is initially at rest. the first ball is at rest after the collision. What is the the speed of the second ball after the collision?

[b(] Kim

Physics news on Phys.org
4 m/s

Because the collision is elastic, kinetic energy is conserved. Since the first ball has completely stopped, its kinetic energy is 0, so the second ball takes the first's kinetic energy.

We must conserve momentum:

[tex]m_1 v_{1i}+m_{2}v_{2i}=m_1 v_{1f}+ m_2 v_{2f}[/tex]
you are given
[tex] v_{1i}=4\frac m s [/tex]
and
[tex]m_1=m_2[/tex]

You should be able to complete the problem.

Last edited:

1. What happens when two billiard balls collide head-on with one at rest?

When two billiard balls collide head-on with one at rest, the moving ball will transfer its momentum to the stationary ball causing it to move in the same direction with the same speed.

2. What determines the speed and direction of the moving ball after the collision?

The speed and direction of the moving ball after the collision is determined by the mass and velocity of both balls before the collision, as well as the angle at which they collide.

3. Is the collision between two billiard balls perfectly elastic?

No, the collision between two billiard balls is not perfectly elastic. Some energy is lost due to friction and deformation of the balls, resulting in a decrease in the speed of the moving ball after the collision.

4. How does the speed of the moving ball change if the stationary ball has a greater mass?

If the stationary ball has a greater mass, the speed of the moving ball after the collision will be lower compared to if the stationary ball had a smaller mass. This is because the heavier ball will absorb more of the momentum from the collision.

5. Can the direction of the moving ball change after the collision?

Yes, the direction of the moving ball can change after the collision depending on the angle at which the balls collide. If the angle is not directly head-on, the moving ball may bounce off at a different angle.