Eigenfunction & Uncertainty

In summary: SilentSilver.In summary, the uncertainty principle states that the position x of a particle cannot be known with absolute certainty. However, the energy eigenvalue for the particle in a 1-D box with infinitely high walls is sin(n*pi*x/a), which implies that the linear momentum, p, is known with zero uncertainty.
SilentSilver
According to my book, uncertainty Q = 0 (where Q is an observable) is true when the state function is an eigenfunction.

The energy eigenfunction for a particle in a 1-D box with infinitely high walls is sin(n*pi*x/a). This implies that the linear momentum, p, is known with zero uncertainty. By the uncertainty principle, the position, x, should have infinite uncertainty. This should mean an eigenfunction whose absolute value squared is a constant.

But the eigenfunction above (sin[]) doesn't meet that requirement.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here :smile: Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the expectation value of momentum is zero in this case, and the uncertainty in momentum would be:

&Delta;p = &radic;{<p2> - <p>2}
= &radic;{2m<E> - 0}
= &radic;{2mEn}
/= 0.

Last edited:
Originally posted by SilentSilver
The energy eigenfunction for a particle in a 1-D box with infinitely high walls is sin(n*pi*x/a). This implies that the linear momentum, p, is known with zero uncertainty.

We can see that in fact the opposite is true - that p is completely unknown - by writing any wavefunction &psi;(x) as a Fourier transform &psi;(x) &prop; &int; dp &psi;(p)eip&sdot;x showing that all values of momentum p are needed to reconstruct the wavefunction at a given position x.

Jeff, the values are used with different weight for each p, so it is not completely undetermined.

My vote goes to Turin; explicitly we have
[tex]<p>= -i n {\pi \over a} \int_0^a sin(n \pi x/a) cos (n \pi x/a) dx =0[/tex]

The particle is in a box, so x can not be spread across all the line. It is always between 0 and a, for every state. In consequence it is not strange that p can not be completely determined.

The usual expresions are only valid taking as configuration space the infinite real line.

In fact even self-adjointness becomes tricky; instead of a unique way, in the box there is a four-paramitrized way to extend the hermitian hamiltonian operator to get a self-adjoint one.

Last edited:
Hmm, this is interesting. For some reason I didn't notice that I'd left out the first sentence of my intended post, which was:

The momentum is given by the energy eigenvalue, but consider an unbound particle. We can see that in fact the opposite is true - that p is completely unknown - by writing any wavefunction &psi;(x) as a Fourier transform &psi;(x) &prop; &int; dp &psi;(p)eip&sdot;x showing that all values of momentum p are needed to reconstruct the wavefunction at a given position x.

So you're right, we disagree.

Jeff,
What are you talking about? I think I'm missing something in your arguement. The wavefunction is in an energy eigenstate, not a position eigenstate. So why is the value of &psi; at some particular point x significant?

Originally posted by turin
Jeff,
What are you talking about? I think I'm missing something in your arguement. The wavefunction is in an energy eigenstate, not a position eigenstate. So why is the value of &psi; at some particular point x significant?

Only my initial remark, that the momentum is given by the energy eigenvalue, was in reference to the particle bound by the potential well. Expanding on this a bit, that the particle is in an energy eigenstate means that's it has a specific energy, the eigenvalue of the state under the action of the hamiltonian. On the other hand, we don't know where the in the box the particle is, i.e., the eigenfunction gives the probability of measuring it to be at position x. The wavefunction &psi;(x) in my latter remark was for a different type of system, an unbound one.

Originally posted by jeff
The momentum is given by the energy eigenvalue,

It is not: E=p2/2m. For a given E, p can be anywhere in the range

[-(2mE)1/2,+(2mE)1/2].

edit: typo

Originally posted by Tom
For a given E, p can be anywhere in the range [-(2mE)1/2,+(2mE)1/2].

Thanks tom. Momentum does have direction. I should have said "up to sign". Bad jeff. Bad, bad jeff. (I've assumed that by "anywhere in the range [-(2mE)1/2,+(2mE)1/2]" you mean just those two values).

Lets go for the energy in the box, then. E=p^2/2m; let me put h=1 and m=1 too, ok? Also, the eigenfuntion is not normalized, just that sine. Well, usual stuff
[tex]p \to -i {d \over dx} ; E \to - \frac12 {d^2\over dx^2}[/tex]
then
[tex]<E>=({n\pi\over a})^2 \int_0^a sin^2(n\pi x /a) dx[/tex]
So for a particle bound between absorbing walls, <E> is positive but <p> is zero.

Note that it is different for a particle bound between mirror walls, ie if we ask [tex]\psi'(a)=0[/tex] instead of [tex]\psi(a)=0[/tex]. Further insights in papers by Seba and also by Carreau.

Thanks tom. Momentum does have direction. I should have said "up to sign". Bad jeff. Bad, bad jeff. (I've assumed that by "anywhere in the range [-(2mE)1/2,+(2mE)1/2]" you mean just those two values).

Actually, I meant the continuous range. Bad Tom. Bad, bad Tom.

Originally posted by arivero
[tex]<p>= -i n {\pi \over a} \int_0^a sin(n \pi x/a) cos (n \pi x/a) dx =0[/tex]

The solutions of schrodinger's equation for the 1D infinite potential well are given, as is well known to students having taken introductory courses in quantum mechanics, by the eigenstates

&psi;n(x) = (2/a)&frac12;sin(knx)

of the hamiltonian with energy eigenvalues &epsilon;n = kn&sup2;/2m in which the allowed momenta are kn = &pi;n/a for n = 1,2... In other words, the particle in one of these states &psi;n(x) has definite momentum kn and energy &epsilon;n. In particular, note that &psi;0(x) = 0, so vanishing momentum and energy are not even allowed. Please consult any quantum mechanics textbook.

Last edited:
The solutions of schrodinger's equation for the 1D infinite potential well are given, ... by the eigenstates

&psi;n(x) = (2/a)&frac12;sin(knx)
Not quite. The nth energy eigenstate in the position basis is

&psi;n(x) = (2/a)&frac12;sin(knx), 0 < x < a
&psi;n(x) = 0, otherwise.

This is actually an important distinction as it shows that the state is a bound state and not a free particle plane wave.

... the particle in one of these states &psi;n(x) has definite momentum kn ...
It would seem that way, but check again. Go back to that post where you have the Fourier transform. This is actually the idea that you must apply. From it, you will realize that the energy eigenstate in k-space is

|&phi;n(k)| ~ 1/(a2k2 - n2pi2)

In particular, note that &psi;0(x) = 0, so vanishing momentum and energy are not even allowed.
Are you saying that even if the wavefunction vanishes everywhere in the position basis, it can still have non-trivial momentum?

1. What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, produces a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the output of the function is proportional to the input function.

2. How is an eigenfunction related to an eigenvector?

An eigenfunction is essentially the continuous version of an eigenvector. While an eigenvector is a vector that, when operated on by a matrix, produces a scalar multiple of itself, an eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, produces a scalar multiple of itself.

3. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, eigenfunctions play a crucial role in describing the state of a system. The solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describe the wave function of a particle, are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator. This allows for the calculation of the energy levels and probabilities of different outcomes in a quantum system.

4. What is the uncertainty principle and how is it related to eigenfunctions?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This is related to eigenfunctions because the eigenfunctions of the position and momentum operators are not the same. This means that a particle cannot have a well-defined position and momentum simultaneously, leading to the uncertainty principle.

5. How does the uncertainty principle impact our understanding of physical systems?

The uncertainty principle has a profound impact on our understanding of physical systems, particularly at the quantum level. It means that there will always be a degree of uncertainty in our measurements and predictions of a system's behavior. This challenges the deterministic view of the universe and highlights the inherent randomness and uncertainty in quantum mechanics.