What is an Orgasm? How do They Work?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, orgasms are a touch-stimulus response of muscular contractions, accompanied by a whole cocktail of neurochemical releases. This complex event is facilitated by the nervous system, and can be experienced by both men and women.
Entropia
How do orgasms work?

I know how humans can get them, but:

1) How would one describe what what is?

2) Physiologically, what is an orgasm?

Biology news on Phys.org
Entropia asked:
1) How would one describe what what is?

2) Physiologically, what is an orgasm?

1) I would describe orgasms as a touch-stimulus response of muscular contractions eliciting feelings of pleasure.
2) Similar to 1, but I'm not a biologist.

As you probably know, an orgasm is not a single event, but a complex set of bodily functions. In the male, contractions of specialized muscles in the penis (very similar to circumesophageal comencers) eject semen. Similar contractions in female cause the end of the fallopian tube to "dip" repeatedly in a small reservoir located in the uterus (this reservoir is the place where semen is most likely to be deposited).

In addition to this, nerve fibers in the pelvis transmitted a signal causing muscle spasms in the lower back. This, of course, is accompanied by a whole cocktail of neurochemical releases. The Owl could probably tell you more about the neurochemistry then I, as this appears to be somewhat of a specialty of hers. However, I think it can be safely assumed that the usual list (dopamine, endorphins, etc.) would be included.

The neurochemistry!- THAT is what i am mostly interested in. Anybody have any comments on the neurochemistry of it? Any good websites?

An orgasm is something should be experienced rather than studied. I'll just be leaving my email address below, in case any of you ladies are interested in learning more...

entropy137@hotmail.com

eNtRopY

You are dealing with the twice-high holy secret of constant generation here...
Some things should not be questioned

Actually I haven't a clue.

In addition to the neurochemistry, there has also been a recorded alteration in brainwave patterns. You could check with Masters & Johnson, plug their name into a search engine. Also, you really should PM The Owl and notify her of this thread, this stuff is what she excells at.

Re; A slight correction

Originally posted by LURCH
(snip) Similar contractions in female cause the end of the fallopian tube to "dip" repeatedly in a small reservoir located in the uterus (this reservoir is the place where semen is most likely to be deposited).(snip)

Actually it is the cervix that performs that feat, while experiancing orgasm, that is located at the top of the Vagina, while the fallopian tubes are connected near the top of the utereus (sp?) which is above the cervix, and vagina.

Recently it was discovered that by placing a small electrical stimulating device, in a womans spine, she could trigger orgasms with simply a switch, to turn that stimulator on, repetitively. if desired.

Most of what goes on in the brain is neurochemical, and generative of pleasurable brainwave patterns.

It is all, in the end, in your head!

Aaaand...

Originally posted by Lurch

In the male, contractions of specialized muscles in the penis (very similar to circumesophageal comencers) eject semen.

Actually, there are NO muscles in the penis, it is an 'empty sac', "Corpus Cavernosum" actually, three sort of 'bladders', two large, one small, fill with blood for (insert your own thoughts here)

If you feel below a male's scrotum, following the "Raphes Scrote" (sp?) (Feels like a 'welded line' of skin, 'Raphes' means 'line{s}') while it is erect, you will notice that the root of the penis extends deep into the male body. (massaging such is rumored to be a male 'ero' zone, but I've no experiancal knowledge of that)

In a female it is the smooth wall muscles of the Vagina that pulsate rythmically, during orgasm.

(It's clinical, relax, this won't hurt a bit...)

Entropia, I highly highly highly recommend Jaak Panskepp's book Affective Neuroscience. Expensive, but worth every penny. Not a ton on orgasms, but a lot on sexuality in general. All I remember right now is that the primary neurostransmitters are vasopressin and oxytocin.

You might try the search "orgasm AND review[pt]" on PubMed and see what you find ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/ )... PubMed rules.

Why are you trying to make love potion number 9? Guranteed orgasm in a bottle I am sure would sell

1. What exactly is an orgasm?

An orgasm is a pleasurable physical and emotional response that occurs during sexual activity. It is often described as a feeling of intense pleasure and release, accompanied by muscle contractions and a release of tension.

2. How does an orgasm happen?

An orgasm is a complex process that involves both physical and psychological factors. During sexual activity, the body experiences increased blood flow and muscle tension, which builds up to a point of intense pleasure. This is followed by a release of tension and a series of rhythmic muscle contractions in the pelvic area.

3. What happens to the body during an orgasm?

During an orgasm, the body experiences a number of physiological changes, including increased heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing rate. There is also a release of hormones, such as oxytocin and endorphins, which contribute to the feelings of pleasure and relaxation.

4. Can everyone experience an orgasm?

While most people are capable of experiencing an orgasm, the ability to achieve one can vary from person to person. Factors such as physical and psychological health, medication use, and level of arousal can all affect a person's ability to reach orgasm.

5. Are there different types of orgasms?

Yes, there are multiple types of orgasms that can be experienced by both men and women. These can include clitoral, vaginal, and anal orgasms, among others. Each type of orgasm may feel slightly different and can be achieved through different types of sexual stimulation.