Moment of inertia / torque question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of torque and moment of inertia for a wheel and disk. The formula for torque is given as \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} where \vec{r} is the position vector and \vec{F} is the force. The right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the cross product. The moment of inertia for the wheel and disk is calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia for the hoop and the disk. There is some confusion about the correct formula for moment of inertia, but it is mentioned that it should be the same as the formula for torque. The original question was deleted, making it difficult for others to help.
ptlffrty
Deleted Deleted

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ummm. i think you mean to say it is attached to a solid 'brick'
[tex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex]
where [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is the position vector from the axis of rotation to where the force is acting, and [itex] \vec{F} [/itex] is the force.
the direction of the vector produced by the cross product is given by the right hand rule.

oops. i meant disk.

Last edited:
bump bump bump

anyone? anyone?

ptlffrty said:
a. what is the total moment of inertia of the wheel and disk?
I1 + I2 = [ (1/2) M1 * R1^2 ] + [ M2 * R2^2 ]
= (1/2)(6)(.1^2) + (2)(.5^2) = .53

One qn.. How did u actually arrive at this?

Last edited:
added the moment of inertia of the hoop (mr^2) witht he moment of inertia of the disk (.5mr^2).. good chance its wrong, but itdoesnt really matter at this point, i just turned the assignment in a few minutes ago

Moment of inertia shld be the same as the formula for torque=F*d=mgd.
I'm not sure bout it either. But are u sure mr^2 is the right formula for moment of a force?

You deleted the original question. How are we going to help if we don't know what you are asking? However, if it is a homework problem, it belongs in the homework section.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass of an object and its distribution in relation to its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia measures an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass measures its resistance to linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of an object's mass, while mass does not.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The factors that affect moment of inertia include the mass of the object, the distribution of the mass in relation to its axis of rotation, and the shape of the object. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

4. How is moment of inertia used in physics?

Moment of inertia is used in physics to explain how objects rotate around an axis. It is an important concept in understanding rotational motion and is often used in equations to calculate torque and angular acceleration.

5. How does torque relate to moment of inertia?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the moment of inertia, meaning that the larger the moment of inertia, the more torque is needed to produce a given amount of angular acceleration.