Theory of a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)

In summary, the speaker is building a scanning tunnelling microscope for their integration class and has chosen a design that uses a unimorph disk, as it is the cheapest option for a student. They will need to write a paper on the theory of how the microscope works and conduct experiments, although they may not be able to fully analyze a sample. They are looking for more information on STM's, the tunnel effect, and environmental effects, and welcome any suggestions or technical information. They also plan to post in other forums for additional help.
Logik
Hi, for my integration class I am building a scanning tunnelling microscope (STM). I found some interesting designs and I choose the cheapest one (students are poor) witch uses a unimorph disk. Here is the STM design I plan to build: http://www.geocities.com/spm_stm/".

For my class I need to hand in a paper on the theory of how it works (tunnel effect) and actually do some experiments and analyse them. I doubt I will actually be able to analyse a sample but I will be able to do some data sampling and analyse other stuff has effect of temperature. So in this stage I am trying to find the more information I can on STM's, on anything related the tunnel effect and on environmental effects on the STM. If you know any good source information, know papers about it or have written about it please feel free to post links or information on how to obtain it. Also if you have idea of what I could measure (ex: tunnel voltage/temperature), please feel free to post your ideas.

If you have any other suggestions don't be shy, I am opened to anything. Also don't be scared of being too technical, I will figure it out or read around to understand it.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I will also post in the design engineering section and in electrical engineering one for other questions. So if you are interested about other part or have a lot of knowledge on STM's you can go to the two other threads.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=109369"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=109375"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably search some journals for review articles on STM. Nucl. inst. meth. a. and rev. sci. inst. are focused on exprerimental methods. rev. mod. phys. is also useful as there has been a bunch of reviews of experimental techniques in it.

Introduction to Scanning Tunneling Microscopy, C Julan Chen has all the basic theory.

What is a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)?

A Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) is a scientific instrument used to obtain high-resolution images of a surface at the atomic level. It works by scanning a sharp probe over the surface and measuring the tunneling current between the probe and the surface. This allows researchers to visualize and manipulate individual atoms and molecules on the surface.

How does a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) work?

The STM works by using a sharp metal probe, typically made of tungsten or platinum, that is brought within a few nanometers of the surface being studied. A small bias voltage is then applied between the probe and the surface, allowing a tunneling current to flow. The strength of this current is measured and used to create an image of the surface.

What are the advantages of using a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)?

One of the main advantages of the STM is its ability to obtain high-resolution images of surfaces at the atomic level. This allows for the visualization and manipulation of individual atoms and molecules, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and surface chemistry. Additionally, the STM can operate in various environments, including vacuum, air, and liquids, making it a versatile tool for studying different types of materials.

What are the limitations of a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)?

One limitation of the STM is that it can only be used on conductive surfaces, as it relies on the flow of a tunneling current. This means that non-conductive materials, such as most biological samples, cannot be studied with an STM. Additionally, the STM is limited in its depth of field and can only image surfaces that are relatively flat and smooth.

What are some applications of the Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM)?

The STM has many applications in various scientific fields. It has been used to study the structure of materials, such as metals and semiconductors, and to investigate surface reactions and processes. It has also been used to manipulate individual atoms and molecules, allowing for the development of novel materials and devices. In biology and medicine, the STM has been used to study biological surfaces, such as proteins and DNA, and to understand their functions and interactions.