Mental Multiplication for 2 digit numbers.

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of using mental multiplication for 2-digit numbers and beyond. The method involves breaking down the problem into smaller parts and multiplying from left to right, rather than the traditional right to left approach. This method is considered more efficient and faster, and has been used by ancient civilizations. Some suggest using the subtract and add method for larger numbers. The conversation also mentions the Vedic Mathematics approach which incorporates various operations and multi-digit numbers.
dgoodpasture2005
Mental Multiplication for 2 digit numbers and beyond

1 7

| <---- this is step one... multiply the tens place times each other. =10X10

1 7 X

now we have 100. The next step will be 10X 7 either way you look at it.

/ <---- 10 times 7 is 70... we now have a sum of 170.

next step will be the same... except we will multiply with the1 in the tens place from the top of the problem diagonally and down to the right with the 7 in the ones place.

\ <---- 10 X 7 is 70, we now have 240, all that is left is the ones place

1 7

--| <----- 7X7 is 49... 240 plus 49 is 289... you have your answer.

1 7

We're doing it backwards... hope you all enjoy and understand why doing multiplication from left to right is much easier and faster than right to left. Even while adding up your sum there is no carrying over. Practice this... it's fast and effective... show it to teachers, friends, kids, anyone and everyone. Get this out, please. Mental math, bring it into our world once again. :) Do as you must with this... but please review it before you dismiss it! I didn't know where to post it... so I'll leave it here, enjoy everyone!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure, it is indeed effective, but hardly new. I have thought about if kids should learn at first a multiplication algorithm something akin to your approach, rather than the standard one.
say you are to multiply 23 with 45:
Then we can make a table like this:
... . 40.... 5
20... 800...100

It remains to sum together the 4 numbers in the centre of the table.

I see. Yours is exactly the same as mine, except a bit more in depth, and a few more steps. Mine takes the standard miltiplication steps and flips them backwards. All one would have to do is recognize the tens place as tens, and realize the ones only need to be multiplied one time. When going right to left, we multiply the one's too much. This is utterly unnecessary. They only need to be multiplied times each other. This is way cool, and I think we should all push in getting it out to the public in any way possible. Even if it has to be done privately. Why should we do math right to left, so much more complicated and time consuming... not to mention, it puts a hazard on the mental aspects. The ancients also did math somewhat backwards, I understand why now... we have been so blind recently.

Last edited:
I think the substract and add method is more effective. Say

17x17

17x(20-3) = 17x20 - 17x3 = 340 - 51 = 289

1. How does mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers work?

Mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers is a method of calculating the product of two numbers in your head without using a calculator or any written methods. This can be achieved by breaking down the numbers into smaller, more manageable parts, and using mental math strategies such as regrouping and estimation.

2. Is mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers faster than using traditional multiplication methods?

It depends on the individual's proficiency in mental math and their familiarity with the traditional multiplication method. For some people, mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers may be faster, while others may find traditional methods quicker. With practice, mental multiplication can become a quicker and more efficient method.

3. Can mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers be used for larger numbers?

Yes, mental multiplication techniques can be applied to larger numbers as well. However, as the numbers get larger, the calculations become more complex and may require more practice and skill to perform mentally.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for mastering mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers?

Yes, there are several tips and tricks that can help improve your mental multiplication skills. Some of these include breaking down numbers into smaller parts, using estimation and rounding, and using known multiplication facts to make calculations easier.

5. Is mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers only useful for basic math calculations?

No, mental multiplication for 2 digit numbers can be applied to more complex math problems as well. It can be particularly useful in situations where a calculator or written method is not available, such as during a test or in everyday situations where quick mental calculations are needed.