Mechanics - Elastic springs and strings

In summary: The question asks you to solve for the distance the mass moves after it has been projected down at point A.Looking back at your energy equation:\frac{3mg(\frac{2}{3}l)^2}{4l} + \frac{3mgl}{4} = \frac{3mg(y - l)^2}{4l} - (Y - l)mgYou know that the mass does not move before it is projected. Therefore you can conclude that Y = l in your equation. Now all you need to do is solve for Y.In summary, when a particle of mass m is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length L and is projected vertically downwards from point
mr bob
A particle P of mass m is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length L whose other end is attached to a point A on a ceiling. When P hangs in equilibrium AP has length [itex]\frac{5l}{3}[/itex]. Show that if P is projected vertically downwards from A with speed [itex]\sqrt(\frac{3gl}{2})[/itex], P will come to instantaneous rest after moving a distance [itex]\frac{10l}{3}[/itex].

I thought about working all this out by finding the energies before and after the projection.

Before:-
[itex]KE =\frac{3gl}{4}[/itex]
[itex]GPE = 0[/itex]
[itex]EPE = 0[/itex]

After:-
[itex]KE = 0[/itex]
[itex]GPE = -(y - 5/3L)g[/itex] where y is the full length of stretched string

However i can't figure out how to work out the EPE after the projection as i don't have the modulus of elasticity of the string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, if the mass is hanging off the spring, you know the force it exerts. and also how far the spring stretches.

Sorry, i don't understand.

If the mass pulls down with the force of mg, then the spring must pull up with a force equal to that. (it hangs without moving at 5L/3)

Therefore, you can apply Hooke's Law to get the spring constant, which is what you were asking for.

Of course! Thank you.

Argh, I've tried the question again and again and can't get the answer. Are the above values for energy correct?

Thank you.

Don't worry about getting the answer until you've figured out the spring constant of the elastic string; you need it to find the final EPE. Use Hooke's law as andrewchang suggested.

Your energies are not quite correct. For one thing, you left out the mass when calculating KE and GPE. And when computing the final GPE, be sure to measure from the same reference point as you did for the initial GPE: point A.

I get the Modulus of elasicity to be
[itex]mg = \frac{\lambda\frac{2}{3}L}{L}[/itex]

Therefore:-

[itex]\lambda = \frac{3mg}{2}[/itex]

Am i correct?

Thanks.

Not exactly. (But you are close.) You need to calculate the spring constant (k), not Young's elastic modulus.

From Hooke's law:

[tex]F = k \Delta x[/tex]

[tex]mg = k (2L/3)[/tex]

Ok, We've only been taught the elastic modulus, so i assume the question should be able to be done using that. Do i use K and i would use lambda in the EPE equation?

Thanks once again,
Bob

Interesting that you've been taught Young's modulus but not Hooke's law in its simplest form. You can express the EPE in terms of k or [itex]\lambda[/itex], whichever you have learned. If you use [itex]\lambda[/itex], be sure to define it correctly:

[tex]F/A = \lambda \Delta L / L [/tex]

In my book, Lambda is defined as [itex]\lambda = \frac{mgl}{x}[/itex] where x is the compression/extension. As the equilibrium length is [itex]\frac{5l}{3}[/itex] the extension is [itex]\frac{2l}{3}[/itex].
Subbing that into the above gives:

[itex]\lambda = \frac{3mg}{2}[/itex]

Why is this wrong?

There's nothing wrong with using such a definition, as long as you stick to it. (It's just not the standard definition of Young's elastic modulus, which is what I thought you were using.)

I'm calling the entire length of the string (at maximum stretch after projection) Y. The energies are measured from the equilibrium point.

Before projection:-
[itex]KE = \frax{3mgl}{4}[/itex]

[itex]EPE = \frac{3mg(\frac{2}{3}l)^2}{4l}[/itex]

[itex]PE = 0[/itex]

After projection:-

[itex]KE = 0[/itex]

[itex]EPE = \frac{3mg(y - l)^2}{4l}[/itex]

[itex]PE = -(Y - l)mg[/itex]

Are these values correct, as from this:-

[itex]\frac{3mg(\frac{2}{3}l)^2}{4l} + \frac{3mgl}{4} = \frac{3mg(y - l)^2}{4l} - (Y - l)mg[/itex]

Last edited:
Hmm. Still cannot get the correct answer. Please help, this is turning me mad.

Thank you for all the help i have received so far.

mr bob said:
Before projection:-
[itex]KE = \frac{3mgl}{4}[/itex]
You had a typo in your Latex.

I don't understand this. Initially, the string is unstretched.

[itex]PE = 0[/itex]
OK, you're measuring GPE from point A.

[itex]KE = 0[/itex]
OK.

OK.

OK.

You're getting close!

The string is initially stretched by 2/3L as natural length is L and stretched length is 5/3L.

I really appreciate your help Doc Al, this question has been giving me trouble for the last couple of days.

Thank's once again.

The string is initially unstretched--no tension at all, just hanging loose. The mass only begins to stretch the string when the string has reached its natural length L--that means that until the mass has fallen a distance L from point A, the string hasn't begun to stretch at all. No tension = no stored energy.

(Note: An elastic string is not the same as a rigid spring, which can be compressed as well as stretched.)

Hmm, I've canceled it all down to get

[itex]\frac{3mgl}{4} - \frac{2mgl}{3} + \frac{mgl}{3} = \frac{3mg(y - l)^2}{4l} - (Y - l)mg[/itex]

Which goes to:-

[itex]3(y - l)^2 - 4l(y- l) - \frac{20l^2}{12}[/itex]

Which after applying the quaratic formula, equates [itex]y - l = \frac{10l}{6}[/itex]. (y - l) is the distance i want (distance past 5/3l stretch).

Im not sure why I am getting this, when the answer is apparently [itex] \frac{10l}{3}[/itex]

mr bob said:

[itex]KE = 0[/itex]

Oops... I just realized that your final gravitational PE is incorrect. Remember that you are measuring the postion with respect to point A. So:
[itex]PE = -Ymg[/itex]

Also, I believe what you should be solving for is Y. Y is the distance that the mass moves after being thrown down at point A.

1. What is the difference between elastic springs and strings?

Elastic springs and strings are both types of elastic materials, but they differ in their shape and the way they store and release energy. Elastic springs are typically coiled or compressed, while strings are typically linear and can be stretched. Elastic springs store energy by deforming and then returning to their original shape, while strings store energy by stretching and then returning to their original length.

2. How does the stiffness of a spring or string affect its behavior?

The stiffness, or spring constant, of a spring or string determines how much force is required to deform or stretch it. A stiffer spring or string will require more force to produce the same amount of deformation or stretch, and will also produce a greater restoring force when released. In general, stiffer materials have a higher modulus of elasticity, which is a measure of their resistance to deformation.

3. Can elastic springs and strings be permanently stretched or deformed?

Yes, elastic springs and strings can be permanently stretched or deformed if they are stretched or compressed beyond their elastic limit. This is the point at which the material can no longer return to its original shape and will remain permanently deformed. It is important to stay within the elastic limit when using these materials to avoid permanent damage.

4. How are the properties of elastic springs and strings affected by temperature?

The properties of elastic springs and strings can be affected by changes in temperature. In general, as the temperature increases, the modulus of elasticity decreases, making the material more flexible and reducing its ability to store and release energy. In extreme cases, high temperatures can cause the material to lose its elasticity completely and become permanently deformed.

5. What are some common applications of elastic springs and strings?

Elastic springs and strings have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and medicine. Some common examples include: shock absorbers in automobiles, springs in pogo sticks and trampolines, guitar strings, surgical sutures, and elastic bands in clothing. They are also used in machines and devices that require precise and controlled motion, such as clocks, watches, and measuring devices.