Should the White Moose be Protected or Hunted?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: Albin, the White Moose, has been sighted yet again in Norway. Some years ago, Albin the White Moose wandered the woods of Norway, avoiding to be shot. No HE's probably been eaten by maggots or something, but a NEW white moose, a calf, has been spotted.Albin is, it seems, still alive and well.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Presently, a white moose is trundling about in the deep, Norwegian woods..whenever he doesn't go into Mrs. Kirsten Hansen's garden to eat some fruit, that is.

However, the moose hunting season is upon us, and a fierce debate has been sparked here in Norway whether or not the moose should be felled.

Some hunters have said they won't shoot him if they meet him, but others say that there is nothing stated in the conditions of their permit about the colour of legitimate prey.
Here's a photo of the moose by Mrs. Hansen:
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=133150

What is the opinion of PF'ers? :smile:
(I don't know how to make one of those fancy polls, I'm afraid..)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ghostly... :bugeye:

White mooses (meese??) are not too rare, but certainly not common. This picture is from the previous winter, it is a young ox:
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=133118

Are these albinos or a separate species?

Last edited:
They are albinos, but very few are full albinos, most have some pigmentation left.

Do not kill the white moose! Now I'm really upset, it's pretty. :cry:

According to the article, there are about half a million moose in Scandinavia, and the interviewed professor estimates the number of white moose to be around 5 at any given time.

Evo said:
Indeed it is. I agree with you, there are lots of other moose to shoot out in the woods. :smile:

arildno said:
According to the article, there are about half a million moose in Scandinavia, and the interviewed professor estimates the number of white moose to be around 5 at any given time.
I think that's reason enough to not hunt it.

Moose update:

Of 30000 poll participants, 80 percent think the moose should live.

At the moment, there is a naming contest going on, the name "Albin" is leading, with "Albin Laden" on second place..

Evo said:
I know :cry: :cry:

HEHEHEHE the problems you have to deal with over there...

arildno said:
Presently, a white moose is trundling about in the deep, Norwegian woods..

The second time I read this I realized that, though I've heard this word many times, I've never bothered to check its meaning:

Main Entry: 1trun·dle
Pronunciation: 'tr&n-d&l
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): trun·dled; trun·dling /'tr&n(d)-li[ng], 'tr&n-d&l-i[ng]/
Etymology: 2trundle
transitive verb
1 a : to propel by causing to rotate : ROLL <a...child who was trundling a hoop -- Charles Dickens> b archaic : to cause to revolve : SPIN
2 : to transport in or as if in a wheeled vehicle : HAUL, WHEEL <trundled him off to school>
intransitive verb
1 : to progress by revolving
2 : to move on or as if on wheels : ROLL <buses trundling through the city>
- trun·dler /'tr&n(d)-l&r, 'tr&n-d&l-&r/ noun

So, I wonder if this moose is really trundling through the woods of Norway. If so, what we have here may be more remarkable than a mere white moose.

All trundling aside, SAVE THE WHITE MOOSE !

racists! all moose shall die equaly

zoobyshoe said:
The second time I read this I realized that, though I've heard this word many times, I've never bothered to check its meaning:

So, I wonder if this moose is really trundling through the woods of Norway. If so, what we have here may be more remarkable than a mere white moose.
:cry: :cry:
Sorry about that..it is ambling about then.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Albin update:

The hunters have decided to spare the life of Albin, the White Moose.

Moreover, one of them, Mr. Onsaker, has captured Albin live on this video:
http://atvs.vg.no/player/player.php?id=5639&bandwidth=4377198&bandwidth_detected=1

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Albin update:

The hunters have decided to spare the life of Albin, the White Moose.

Moreover, one of them, Mr. Onsaker, has captured Albin live on this video:
http://atvs.vg.no/player/player.php?id=5639&bandwidth=4377198&bandwidth_detected=1
YAY! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay son of albin!

my grandfather always shot albino deer on purpose because he was afraid they would breed that way.

Video clip of undead Albin!

Albin is, it seems, still alive and well.
Scroll down the following page, for a video clip of Albin.in-action (Note, Albin is the FIRST person in the clip, the other is an old man):
http://nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/ostfold/1.7231203

1. Should the white moose be protected or hunted?

This is a highly debated topic and there is no clear answer. Some argue that the white moose should be protected due to their rarity and unique genetic makeup, while others argue that hunting can help control the population and provide economic benefits.

2. What is the current population of white moose?

The exact population of white moose is unknown, but it is estimated to be less than 100 individuals. They are considered a rare and endangered species.

3. What threats do white moose face?

White moose face threats from habitat loss, climate change, and hunting. They are also at risk of inbreeding due to their small population size.

4. Are there any laws or regulations in place for hunting white moose?

Yes, hunting white moose is regulated by state and national wildlife agencies. In some areas, a special permit is required and there may be restrictions on the number of white moose that can be hunted each year.

5. What are the arguments for protecting white moose?

Some argue that white moose should be protected because they are a rare and unique species that hold cultural and ecological significance. They also provide opportunities for ecotourism and contribute to the biodiversity of their ecosystems.

Back