PF PHOTO CONTEST - It's All There, In Black And White (2/24-3/2)

In summary, the theme for this week's photo contest is black and white/grayscale. Members are allowed to modify a color picture into black and white or grayscale, but no other modification of the picture is allowed. The contest rules are: 1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first. 2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It's All There, In Black And White

The pictures for this week's theme must be in black and white/grayscale. It can be on any subject matter.

For this contest only, you are allowed to modify a color picture into black and white or grayscale. No other modification of the picture is allowed.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one of the series of images I took for a previous contest. I ended up using one that showed the locomotive belching smoke, but this one is from a little better perspective, and it lends itself to gray-scale pretty well. I figured that something nostalgic would look good in grays, and there's something about steam locomotives...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4878/traingrayoy8.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome pic Turbo!

Turbosteam engine - very nice.

Cannon Beach, OR.
Looking towards Haystack rock.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/beach.jpg [Broken]

http://bikeflat.com/albums/Bike-Stuff/black_and_white.sized.jpg [Broken]

scorpa said:
Awesome pic Turbo!
Thanks, Scorpa! There is something that stirs in me when this train takes off...it's not as powerful as a diesel/electric locomotive, etc, but it's impressive to be track-side and feel the low-frequency chuff, chuff, chuff, and feel the rumble in the ground as this train takes off. I love steam!

neutrino said:
Turbosteam engine - very nice.
I wish you could visit and see it. I don't care to ride that train, I just want to watch it work. My wife and some of her nieces, nephews and their children have ridden this train several times, but my biggest thrill is to stay at the station and watch the train depart and return. I love steam.

Back Lit Gull

401352396_08fcc40217_o.jpg

Ooooh, another great shot Larkspur !

Evo said:
Ooooh, another great shot Larkspur !
Thanks Evo!

larkspur said:
Thanks Evo!
Another great entry!

turbo-1 said:
Another great entry!

Thanks Turbo! Your entry is quite cool!

Back Lit Gull.

Wow - another very cool composition Larkspur!

turbo-1 said:
Here is one of the series of images I took for a previous contest. I ended up using one that showed the locomotive belching smoke, but this one is from a little better perspective, and it lends itself to gray-scale pretty well. I figured that something nostalgic would look good in grays, and there's something about steam locomotives...
That appears to be Belfast & Moosehead Lake's Swedish 4-6-0, Spirit of Unity.

My lil bro; I picked it 'cause it looked 50's-like.

IMG_1939.jpg

Astronuc said:
Back Lit Gull.

Wow - another very cool composition Larkspur!
Thanks Astro!

I think larkspur should be disqualified from all future contests on account of her pictures should rank with professionals. OR, we could make a Larkspur contest where we just pic the best out of all her perfect pictures. I have not seen one picture that I did not like of hers yet. Pure Gold.

Last edited:
Mute swan at the lake:

http://www.astroskwurl.net/PF/Black%20and%20White.jpg [Broken]

Janus said:
Cannon Beach, OR.
Looking towards Haystack rock.

I like the way you compose your photos. Nice work!

gosh! These are ALL so beautiful. Keep 'em coming!

Nice swan ST.

Yes, they're all great. It's really hard tp pick a favorite in these contests.

larkspur said:
401352396_08fcc40217_o.jpg

Beautiful! Very serene.

Very cool pictures from everyone.

Astronuc said:
That appears to be Belfast & Moosehead Lake's Swedish 4-6-0, Spirit of Unity.
That's the one! The colors have been toned down since acquisition (pretty much all black, now) - a very nice-looking locomotive. It's pretty humbling to get up close to something this big while it's in operation and think of the casting, machining, etc, required to build the darned thing.

Edit: By the way, Unity is the name of the town in which the B&ML station and museum are located. Names of other towns in the area include Liberty, Freedom, Hope, and Union.

Last edited:
first time participant. I'm just going to take the plunge and post a picture of my lamp.

[Er.. I tried to correct the syntax of your img tags, but it appears that you are not using the right link. In photobucket, they already have the correct ones you need. Look for something that already have the [ img ] tags. That is the whole link that you want to copy - Zz]

you're fast!
my image appeared to be too big, so I went back and uploaded it smaller.
I hope it works now.

hmm, still not working..
gimme a minute, I'll figure this out..

ok, finally. Here it is..
PICT2356swkl-1.jpg

Last edited:
To all the photographers - is your particular picture taken with a digital camera or actual B&W film and then scanned?

They are all great!

There's something about B&W which highlights the shadow and contrast.

Even though I already know I don't have a chance against the photos already entered, this is the only one in my collection that seemed suitable for converting to B&W.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7810/armorbwuh4.jpg [Broken]

To vote in this contest is already going to be horrendously difficult, and it is only the 2nd day!

Zz.

Astronuc said:
To all the photographers - is your particular picture taken with a digital camera or actual B&W film and then scanned?

They are all great!

There's something about B&W which highlights the shadow and contrast.
Mine is a color digital image converted to grayscale and reduced in size in PS. There is a heck of a lot of dynamic range in that image, from jet black to almost pure white, so I don't know how well it will display on people's monitors, but it was my best-perspective image, so I threw it in the ring. This is one that I really hated to have to down-size - the original image has a lot more detail.

Wow I was going to try to take a picture to submit but I don't know if there is much point! There are a lot of very awesome pictures in this contest!

scorpa said:
Wow I was going to try to take a picture to submit but I don't know if there is much point! There are a lot of very awesome pictures in this contest!
Give it a go! Your picture of the walking path through the trees would have been a great B&W image for this contest.

scorpa said:
Scorpa, please contribute. Based on your photos in other contests, I'm sure you can make a worthy contribution here!

I had a tough time choosing between this picture or the picture that would have been my entry for bridge over troubled water. As I posted the bridge picture in the disqualified thread I figured I would go with this one as at least it is new.

SheilaBW.jpg

Ancient Ruins

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8238/iranyp1.png [Broken]

<h2>1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?</h2><p>The theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST is "It's All There, In Black And White."</p><h2>2. When does the PF PHOTO CONTEST start and end?</h2><p>The PF PHOTO CONTEST will run from February 24th to March 2nd.</p><h2>3. How many entries can I submit to the PF PHOTO CONTEST?</h2><p>You can submit up to three entries to the PF PHOTO CONTEST.</p><h2>4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?</h2><p>The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who is interested in photography, regardless of age or location.</p><h2>5. How will the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be chosen?</h2><p>The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and how well the photo fits the theme of "It's All There, In Black And White."</p>

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST is "It's All There, In Black And White."

2. When does the PF PHOTO CONTEST start and end?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST will run from February 24th to March 2nd.

3. How many entries can I submit to the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

You can submit up to three entries to the PF PHOTO CONTEST.

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who is interested in photography, regardless of age or location.

5. How will the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be chosen?

The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and how well the photo fits the theme of "It's All There, In Black And White."