Understanding Interactions Between Male and Female Students in Academic Settings

• Thread starter theoritician
  • Start date
In summary, the old professors were talking and the female student wanted to leave but couldn't because the male student was talking. The female student has a big crush on the male professor and when she couldn't interrupt, she just left. The male professor is attracted to her and thinks she is smart.
theoritician
After I finish my upper maths and physics lectures, I sometimes ask the prof some questions. On a few occassions a female student was behind listening to my discussion with the prof with no one else around. When I finished asking questions, I left and she left as well without asking any of her own questions. I am male and nowhere near a top student, infact near the bottom or average at best so I don't think she is that interested in listening to my discussion with the prof. She hasn't tried to speak to me. What is giong on?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
She's a hit man for the Russian Mafia, only logical conclusion. I suggest you flee the country immediately, perhaps try to find a safe house in Kuala lumpur. Quick, book the first available flight, and don't tell anyone where you are going!

Perhaps she was just waking up :biggrin:

She has a big crush on the prof.

You were probably standing on her way :)

On her way, was she a troll? :smile: you know like it was her bridge.

nooooooo... on the way - the only way she could use to get out (is it better now)

I'm only teasing I know what you meant. You meant he was in the way :tongue:

Course the most depressing but kinda obvious answer is that you asked the professor what she was going to ask, and he cleared it up, so she wandered off. Next time she makes to leave ask her if she was having the same problem (something in common) If yes then get her involved in the conversation and then chat to her afterwards. If she likes you pow shazaam go for a date, then it's marriage, a honeymoon in the Bahamas, the skys the limit :smile: I'm serious about the asking her bit though. :smile:

Last edited:
:) in the way OK :)

oedipa maas said:
She has a big crush on the prof.

Two different old profs?

theoritician said:
Two different old profs?

one thing you haven't stated, implied, or inferred---are YOU attracted:!) to HER?

-------------------------
I couldn't tell if you thought she was just a pest or a parasite(or a passion)

Last edited:
I think he is, otherwise why bother posting it, unless he's worried she's his stalker?

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions?

To the roof Watson!

Sorry I always say that when there's a mystery even if it doesn't make sense :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I think he is, otherwise why bother posting it, unless he's worried she's his stalker?

To the roof Watson!

Sorry I always say that when there's a mystery even if it doesn't make sense :smile:
From "The giant rat of Sumatra": (dog with bomb inside follows Hemlock Stones and Dr. Flotsam out of a bar) Listen! The dog! It has ticks!
Then we must flee!

I laughed and groaned at the same time :smile:

theoritician said:
What is giong on?

Maybe she had the same question?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I laughed and groaned at the same time :smile:
Firesign Theater had the most compelling humor (and used some of the worst puns), and their comedy albums are classics. Hemlock Stones and The Giant Rat of Sumatra is actually one of their weaker efforts, IMO.

http://www.firesigntheatre.com/index2.html

It's probable that she had the same question, or maybe just wanted to hear further clarification.

J77 said:
Perhaps she was just waking up :biggrin:

Nice try but no.

NewClear said:
You were probably standing on her way :)

NewClear said:
nooooooo... on the way - the only way she could use to get out (is it better now)

NewClear said:
:) in the way OK :)

The exit was always in a different place from where the prof and I were standing.

rewebster said:
one thing you haven't stated, implied, or inferred---are YOU attracted:!) to HER?

-------------------------
I couldn't tell if you thought she was just a pest or a parasite(or a passion)

Schrodinger's Dog said:

To the roof Watson!

No she isn't stalking me. I'm not that good:rolleyes:. And she isn't crazy, infact fairly intelligent by the look of things.

Yeah I am attracted to her. Why dosen't she talk to me. It would be less time consuming and less puzzling for both of us. Why haven't I talked to her? Because I am too shy and freightened.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Maybe she had the same question?

moose said:
It's probable that she had the same question, or maybe just wanted to hear further clarification.

What do you mean?

You were standing on her shoelace, but she was so painfully shy, she couldn't bring herself to interrupt you. So she waited for you to move away.

Math Is Hard said:
You were standing on her shoelace, but she was so painfully shy, she couldn't bring herself to interrupt you. So she waited for you to move away.

No. I think the whole thing is pretty 'innocent'. You people make it so 'violent'.

Why don't you start a conversation with her about homework or something? Or about the lecture? Just give it a try.

C'mon man, ask her out!:biggrin:

give me a break since when is this place a dating advice site, i get enough of that on the casual forum i frequent.

http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

all curious people be aware; you've been warned :yuck:

ice109 said:
give me a break since when is this place a dating advice site, i get enough of that on the casual forum i frequent.

http://www.genmay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

all curious people be aware; you've been warned :yuck:

Don't get too excited. I am only wanting to know 'what is going on'. And how to find out but striking the first words are extremely difficult. The most natural way is to strike it after and if she waits for me again when everyone is gone.

theoritician said:
Yeah I am attracted to her. Why dosen't she talk to me. It would be less time consuming and less puzzling for both of us. Why haven't I talked to her? Because I am too shy and freightened.

:rofl: And perhaps she too is too shy and frightened to say anything. Maybe she only gets as far as walking up to you in the pretense of asking a question, and then can't quite bring herself to say anything. When you're ready to leave and she follows you out next time, just say, "Hey, want to get together to study this stuff?" It really is that easy. :biggrin: What's the worst that could happen; she actually wants to study?

Seriously, until you actually spend some time talking to this girl you have to assume she is NOT interested in you. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to talk to her though...!) And even if she has a banal mathematical conversation with you, that doesn't mean that she wants to date you!

I was once in an upper level math class of about 50 people - I knew only a few other people in the course and I was surprised when a guy from the class approached me for some help on the homework. After I finished talking to him another girl in the class came over and told me not to work with the guy anymore - he wasn't registered in the class and had been asked to withdraw from his program by the department! Turns out his scheme was to go to random senior math courses and try to get the girls to "help" him with the homeworks! He'd been harassing and stalking a couple other girls and the university eventually issued a restraining order against him!

I think Ivan Seeking and moose have the right idea.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: And perhaps she too is too shy and frightened to say anything. Maybe she only gets as far as walking up to you in the pretense of asking a question, and then can't quite bring herself to say anything. When you're ready to leave and she follows you out next time, just say, "Hey, want to get together to study this stuff?" It really is that easy. :biggrin: What's the worst that could happen; she actually wants to study?

No she is not pretending to ask any questions nor have walked up to me but rather just sit (from a distance) and listened to my discussion with the prof.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
She's a hit man for the Russian Mafia, only logical conclusion. I suggest you flee the country immediately, perhaps try to find a safe house in Kuala lumpur. Quick, book the first available flight, and don't tell anyone where you are going!
Now now SD, Just cause he's paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get him!

Sometimes I stay back and listen to my classmates questions. Just cause I don't have anything in particular to ask (or just haven't found the right question yet) doesn't mean I don't want to hear what other people are wondering.

oedipa maas said:
Seriously, until you actually spend some time talking to this girl you have to assume she is NOT interested in you. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to talk to her though...!) And even if she has a banal mathematical conversation with you, that doesn't mean that she wants to date you!

I was once in an upper level math class of about 50 people - I knew only a few other people in the course and I was surprised when a guy from the class approached me for some help on the homework. After I finished talking to him another girl in the class came over and told me not to work with the guy anymore - he wasn't registered in the class and had been asked to withdraw from his program by the department! Turns out his scheme was to go to random senior math courses and try to get the girls to "help" him with the homeworks! He'd been harassing and stalking a couple other girls and the university eventually issued a restraining order against him!
Brilliant! That man's a genius. You should try that with your study-girl, stalk her to her classes!

theoritician said:
No she isn't stalking me. I'm not that good:rolleyes:. And she isn't crazy, infact fairly intelligent by the look of things.

There's the problem----if you're not that secure that you can't initiate the conversation with her (because of her looks(?))---BUT you can go up to the prof and ask HIM questions--THEN, how can you transfer THAT confidence of asking the prof a question to asking the girl a question?

rewebster said:
There's the problem----if you're not that secure that you can't initiate the conversation with her (because of her looks(?))---BUT you can go up to the prof and ask HIM questions--THEN, how can you transfer THAT confidence of asking the prof a question to asking the girl a question?

I'd say because of 'her' as in a female and the fact that I am attracted to her makes me very panicky and insecure which results in me not able to strike a conversation. This happens with other females I am attracted to as well. Quite a bad problem to have. However if they speak first then things become much easier for me.

theoritician said:
I'd say because of 'her' as in a female and the fact that I am attracted to her makes me very panicky and insecure which results in me not able to strike a conversation. This happens with other females I am attracted to as well. Quite a bad problem to have. However if they speak first then things become much easier for me.

do you ask a waiter a question first?---or do you wait for him to talk?

when you buy something from a store, do you speak first at the check out (or wait)?

if your clothes were on fire (while you were wearing them), would you wait until someone else came along to put them out?