Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition

In summary, the conversation discusses various physics textbooks, specifically Fundamentals of Physics Extended 8th edition by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight. The general consensus is that Halliday's textbook is a solid and comprehensive introduction to physics, with good review pages and practice questions. Some users also recommend older editions for more challenging problems. Knight's textbook is also generally well-received, but some find it too wordy and prefer Halliday's approach. Other textbooks mentioned include Electricity, Magnetism, and Light by Saslow and Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Mosca and Tipler.
Shackleford
I'm currently in the first of my introductory physics course - PHYS 2425: Mechanics and Heat. This is the book we're using. Is it a good intro. textbook? Thanks.

Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition
David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471758019.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its the text i used last term for mechanics and am using this term for wave mechanics and oscillations.

I didn't really study from it, but it seems like a good textbook. The chapter concept review pages are good to look over every week and there's plenty of good questions to work on.

DylanB said:
Its the text i used last term for mechanics and am using this term for wave mechanics and oscillations.

I didn't really study from it, but it seems like a good textbook. The chapter concept review pages are good to look over every week and there's plenty of good questions to work on.

Yeah, it'll be my Electricity and Magnetism textbook, too. I'm glad it's a solid textbook, so I can lay a firm conceptual understanding of physics for the road ahead.

we used the 7th edition for mechanics up to waves and 8th edition from point charges to optics

I thought these textbooks were good

Definitely better than University Physics by Young & Freedman. It's also half the size! Pretty much to the damn point.

Anyone know if Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight is any good?

Halliday seems to be used by many people. It's mostly plug and chug type work, but it makes a good introduction to a lot of topics in physics.

I used the 3rd edition back in '83-84 for my first three semesters of physics.

I have it on pdf and it says its 8th edition but I'm sure its not. Does anyone know what edition it is if it has a clock on it on the 1st page of chapter one?

Helical said:
Anyone know if Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight is any good?

I am currently using this textbook. I would say it is alright as it tends to have very detailed problems and examples and gives a good blend of end of chapter problems. I would recommend though getting the Volumed set if this is for a class, as it is easier to carry around.

My former physics lecturer once advised me to get the older Halliday and Resnick's physics textbook. He said the older editions (I think he mentioned the 2nd edn in particular) had more challenging problems than the newer ones.

I just finished using "Fundamentals of Physics, 8th Edition" last year for Physics I w/Calculus - Newtonian Mechanics, and Physics II w/Calculus - Electricity & Magnetism.

It covered a lot of material, way more than I could fully absorb at the pace in which it was taught. In Physics I we covered chapters 1-13, and briefly touched on selected topics in 14-20. In Physics II we covered chapters 21-32. The instructor assigned problems he came up with rather than those in the book. Most everyone was taking Calculus I & II with these courses, respectively. Any math we couldn't do at the time was explained conceptually, and we used Mathematica to supplement the Calculus we knew.

I purchased the "extended" (Part 5) portion of the text separately - it was not included in the standard version of the text. Now that I'm on summer break, I've been slowly re-reading the first two parts of the text (chapters 1-20) in order to better absorb the material (now that I have Calculus I & II completed and better understand the proofs). I plan to re-read the E&M material (Part 3, chapters 21-32) once I've completed Multivariate Calculus this upcoming fall, and hope to read Parts 4 & 5 down the road.

Overall I enjoyed the text in class, and have come to enjoy it even more now that I can read at my leisure. The most valuable part is it's connections with real-life concepts rather than just abstractions. I looked at some of my instructors other texts on Mechanics and E&M, and this text is much more focused on helping you connect the topics it flys through to real world problems. More Engineering geared I guess.

Nick M said:
I just finished using "Fundamentals of Physics, 8th Edition" last year for Physics I w/Calculus - Newtonian Mechanics, and Physics II w/Calculus - Electricity & Magnetism.

Hi, so your a physics major? and Physics I and Physics II are in the same year?

Bright Wang said:
Hi, so your a physics major? and Physics I and Physics II are in the same year?

I am not in the physics major but I can give you some insight since I know some friends. They tell me that they usually do take Physics I and II in first year. They split them though over a period of two semesters or just give one full course equivalent sometimes.

Helical said:

I used this textbook for AP Physics Mechanics and E&M in high school and I thought it was pretty well-written.

I am going to be using Electricity, Magnetism, and Light by Saslow as my textbook for physics 2 this fall. Any comments on this textbook?

Helical said:

It has some good problems, but I find that Knight can be way too wordy at times. I think he over explains some things, and in the end, makes those topics harder for students to understand. Not the worst book out there, but I would pick Halliday over Knight any day of the week.

I would have to say that Halliday/Resnick/Walker is the best introductory physics book I've ever seen. I have Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Mosca/Tipler, and although it's a good book (and certainly more thorough and rigorous than HRW), it's not as good at explaining things as HRW is. I've read a couple chapters in some books and glanced at others, and none of them really measure up. I keep this on the same bookshelf as The Feynman Lectures on Physics and all of Griffiths' textbooks.

What about Physics for Scientists & Engineers Giancoli Fourth Edition?

Monocles said:
I am going to be using Electricity, Magnetism, and Light by Saslow as my textbook for physics 2 this fall. Any comments on this textbook?
Make sure that you get the corrections at http://faculty.physics.tamu.edu/saslow/. Look for the line "Here are a list of text typos, a list of figure typos, and a corrected set of Answers to the odd-numbered problems." I have taught from this textbook, so I know something about it. If you have questions, I'll see if I can answer them.

What are the key topics covered in "Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition"?

The key topics covered in this edition include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. These topics cover the fundamental concepts and principles of physics and their applications in different areas of science and technology.

What makes "Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition" different from previous editions?

This edition includes updated content and examples to reflect the latest developments in the field of physics. It also includes new chapters on modern physics, making it more comprehensive and relevant to current scientific research. Additionally, it offers online resources and interactive learning tools to enhance the learning experience.

How does "Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition" help students understand complex concepts?

This edition uses a problem-solving approach to help students develop a deeper understanding of the concepts. It provides step-by-step solutions to practice problems, along with real-world examples and applications. It also includes conceptual questions and exercises to encourage critical thinking and application of knowledge.

Is "Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition" suitable for self-study?

Yes, this edition is suitable for self-study as it includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems with solutions. It also offers online resources such as interactive simulations, videos, and quizzes to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts.

How can "Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition" benefit students pursuing a career in science or engineering?

This edition provides a strong foundation in the principles and laws of physics, which are essential for understanding and solving problems in various fields of science and engineering. It also includes real-world applications and examples, making the concepts more relevant and applicable in the industry.