What are the possible forms and classifications of groups of order 12?

In summary: G has a sylow 3-subgroup: order 3 and sylow 2-subgroup: order 4. (ii) G has a sylow 3-subgroup: order 2 and sylow 2-subgroup: order 4. (iii) G has a sylow 3-subgroup: order 1 and sylow 2-subgroup: order 3. (iv) G has a sylow 3-subgroup: order 1 and sylow 2-subgroup: order 2. (v) G has a sylow 3-subgroup: order 1 and sylow 2-subgroup: order 1. (vi) G has a sy
mathusers
Hey there guys.

Let G be a group of order 12. Show by a Sylow counting argument that if G does not have a normal subgroup of order 3 then it must have a normal subgroup of order 4.

Deduce that G has one of the following forms:
(i) [itex] C_3 \rtimes C_4[/itex]
(ii) [itex] C_3 \rtimes (C_2 \times C_2)[/itex]
(iii) [itex] C_4 \rtimes C_3[/itex] or
(iv) [itex] (C_2 \times C_2) \rtimes C_3[/itex]

Hence, classify all groups of order 12 up to isomorphism.

Any suggestions on how to go about doing this one please?
I will attempt myself once I have a good idea of what to do . Thnx :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok here is what i have for the first part.

Please verify whether this is correct or not.

matusers said:
Let G be a group of order 12. Show by a Sylow counting argument that if G does not have a normal subgroup of order 3 then it must have a normal subgroup of order 4.

suppose G has sylow 3-subgroup: order 3 and sylow 2-subgroup: order 4.

Let x be number of sylow 3-subgroups then x|3 and x=1(mod3). so x = 1 or 4.
Let y be number of sylow 2-subgroups then y|2 and y=1(mod2). so y= 1 or 2.

We have to show either x=1 or y=1 as that would imply it has a sylow subgroup which is fixed by conjugation and is therefore a normal subgroup.

Let's contradict:
------------------
let x=4, y=2. If x has 4 distinct subgroups of order 3 then the intersection of any 2 must be a subgroup and hence a proper divisor of 3. i.e. it's 1.
Together, the 4 subgroups have 9 distinct elements.

On the other hand, the sylow 2-subgroup has a trivial intersection with any of the sylow 3-subgroups and hence has 3 additional distinct elements.
So altogether so far, we have 12 elements.

However, we still have a remaining order 4 subgroup that adds atleast 1 more element. So in total, we have atleast 13 distinct elements. This is a contradiction because the group has only 12 elements. This means either x=1 or y=1. So there is a normal subgroup of order 4.

any ideas on how to solve the rest of the question. i.e. as below?.
mathusers said:
Deduce that G has one of the following forms:
(i) [itex] C_3 \rtimes C_4[/itex]
(ii) [itex] C_3 \rtimes (C_2 \times C_2)[/itex]
(iii) [itex] C_4 \rtimes C_3[/itex] or
(iv) [itex] (C_2 \times C_2) \rtimes C_3[/itex]

Hence, classify all groups of order 12 up to isomorphism.

[tex]2 \equiv 0 (\rm{mod} 2)[/tex]
(The choices for [itex]y[/itex] are 1 and 3.)

The rest of the proof for the first part is OK.

You can do the second part as cases again.
(What are the possibilities for [itex]G/H[/itex] for each of the normal subgroups.)

1. What is Sylow's Counting Argument?

Sylow's Counting Argument is a mathematical proof technique used to count the number of subgroups of a given group.

2. How does Sylow's Counting Argument work?

Sylow's Counting Argument uses the Sylow theorems, which state that for a finite group, there exists a subgroup of a certain order that is a divisor of the order of the group. By applying these theorems, the number of subgroups can be determined.

3. What is the significance of Sylow's Counting Argument?

Sylow's Counting Argument is an important tool in group theory, as it allows for the determination of the number of subgroups of a given group. This information can then be used to study the structure and properties of the group.

4. What are some common applications of Sylow's Counting Argument?

Sylow's Counting Argument is frequently used in number theory, algebra, and other branches of mathematics to prove various theorems and solve problems related to finite groups.

5. Are there any limitations to Sylow's Counting Argument?

Yes, Sylow's Counting Argument can only be applied to finite groups. It also requires knowledge of the order of the group and its subgroups, which may not always be known. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for counting subgroups in certain cases.