PF PHOTO CONTEST - From Dusk To Dawn (8/16-8/22)

In summary: I found a different url than Redbelly had, it seems to have fixed the problem.{image removed}In summary, the contest will be on pictures taken EITHER at dusk or at dawn. Your picture must clearly show that part of the day. It is not sufficient to simply show a clock, other timing devices, a person waking up, etc. to indicate that the picture was taken at dusk or dawn. Members are allowed to use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest. Members are allowed to post a maximum of ONE picture per week. Pictures must be in JPEG or PNG format and must be at least 650 x 490 or 490 x
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
From Dusk To Dawn

This week's contest will be on pictures taken EITHER at dusk or at dawn. Your picture must clearly show that part of the day. It is not sufficient to simply show a clock, other timing devices, a person waking up, etc. to indicate that the picture was taken at dusk or dawn.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check this out.

A Photo that does not feature one of my kids!

"Half-moon at dusk"

IMG_5637.jpg

Oh, that's beautiful Chi!

rsz_image0-1.jpg

I don't BELIEVE I've used this one before. Anyways, I took it when i was probably about 8-10 on a 35mm SLR, so excuse the fuzzyness.

It's outside of Monticello, Utah.

I can't see it binzing.

edit: There it is, NICE!

Turbo's below is nice too.

Yet another contest where I won't be able to decide. :frown:

Last edited:
By the twilight's last gleaming...
dusk.jpg

robertm said:
Looking back towards Pelee Island over lake Erie.
Hi Robert,

Attachments aren't allowed, you will need to upload your picture and size it according to Zz's instructions. Image Shack and Photobucket are two popular free sites for this.

Thanks Evo,

Looking back towards Pelee Island over Lake Erie

{image removed}

Last edited by a moderator:
CedarTrees_TurkeyMountain_PF.jpg

At the end of an afternoon-evening hike, the low sun and clouds gives the sky an eerie blue glow.

(Turkey Mountain near Boonton, NJ, USA)

robertm said:
Thanks Evo,

http://www.humyo.com/F/4720981-179296811
[/URL]
I can't see it Robert. :frown:

robertm said:

http://www.humyo.com/F/4720981-179296811
[/URL]

Here is robertm's photo:

{image removed}

Redbelly98 said:
Here is robertm's photo:

{image removed}
Thanks Redbelly, I added the link, but now it's got some distracting logo on it.

That might disqualify his picture for half of it to contain advertising.

{image removed}

Darnit. Thanks guys, Ill have to figure out what going wrong...

I've seen a couple photo storage sites like that--they work off of flash/some other program. The sites like that are often 'ad' paid for to try to get people to use some online 'photo purchasing' option for the photo--this one may not be like that, but...

---and it may be that the photo/album is on the 'private' setting, if there is one (have to be 'logged on' to get full access)

(one option--consider it just an 'unwanted' watermark)

Last edited:
I found a different url than Redbelly had, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Evo said:
I found a different url than Redbelly had, it seems to have fixed the problem.

do you mean the same one I posted in post 11? or?

rewebster said:
do you mean the same one I posted in post 11? or?
Not yours or his.

robertm said:
Thanks Evo,

I think you will need to find another photo server (use Photobucket or Imageshack, or even Flickr). The "watermark" in this picture is considered to be a spam and violates PF Guidelines.

Zz.

It's possible to get the non-logo version of robertm's photo, at least using Firefox. Don't know if it's possible with IE.

In Firefox, go to the link rewebster gave in msg #11:
http://www.humyo.com/F/4720981-179296811.jpg

Then right-click on the photo, and select "Copy Image Location". That puts the image URL (non-logo version) into your copy-paste buffer, so you can paste it into a message using the [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags.

I don't know if IE has a function similar to Firefox's "Copy Image Location".

Ok If this does not work, I will host the image on a new site. Thanks for the help guys.

{image removed}

I still see a logo.

Zz.

Ok here we go,

DSC02179-1.jpg

Yay! Success! Nice picture, too, especially now the logo is not competing for attention.

Looks good to me. :smile:

edit:
Looking at the post time of turbo's and my recent entries here, I feel like the guy who lost to Michael Phelps by 0.01 seconds! :-)

Last edited:
Robertm, great pic. That is Earth right?:smile:

Wow! Those are amazing colors! Gorgeous!

Nice colors edward!

edward said:
That is Earth right?:smile:

Ha ha! Yes indeed! You should have been there, it was fantastic!

To give the title again:
Looking back towards Pelee Island over lake Erie on an early-spring evening

Robert, are those colors natural, or did you use a filter?

That's a beautiful shot. I remember seeing a some very pretty sunsets over Erie too.

Gokul43201 said:
Robert, are those colors natural, or did you use a filter?

That's a beautiful shot. I remember seeing a some very pretty sunsets over Erie too.

I took the shot with my DSC H9 Sony Cybershot, aperture: F8, shutter speed: 1/3200, focal length: 70.6mm, and ISO: 80. No filter, but I think my high altitude most likely had a factor in the colours (I was in a small prop plane).

I have a few other shots of the same sunset if anyone would like to see them, in one I even caught a huge barge crossing the lake!

sunset in the city..some of you know which city :wink:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6127/editsunsetresevk7.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3594/dsc00079jc1.jpg

This picture is from my cellphone while waiting for the Paul McCartney show to begin!

Note: The screen you see is not where the stage is. It's actually even further back. (Crowd of 300,000.)

Good morning to the neighborhood

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/673/pfphoto1zg7.jpg