Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for learning linear algebra through self-study. One person suggests using Hoffman and Kunze's textbook, but others suggest free online books such as Sharipov and Beezer. Another person recommends using Schaum's "Outline of Linear Algebra" by Seymour Lipschutz. The conversation also includes a link to the website of mathwonk, who has notes on advanced linear algebra.
cordyceps
Hey guys,

I'm trying to self-study LA this year. For anyone who has used Hoffman and Kunze's LA text, would you recommend it as an introduction to LA? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends. If you're a mathematics major it's worth reading, if not, stick to the recommended book or course notes. I haven't read it completely, I've read bits of it, and it's at a slightly higher level than my 1st LA course was. Don't expect it to walk you through proofs though.

I'm just trying to learn by myself- first time dealing with linear algebra.

here is one more free one from me:
it assumes you know about row reduction of matrices, and covers all the higher level stuff.

the new notes for my summer course 4050 in advanced linear algebra are up on my webpage. they cover jordan and generalized jordan form, duality, spectral theorems, determinants, finite abelian groups, and constant coefficient linear ode's. they are an expansion to 68 pages of my 14 page linear algebra primer. they are much more explanatory. still they cover in 68 pages more than most books do in several hundred pages. i hope they are readable. there is a table of contents. the introduction got omitted from the notes but appears on the webpage. enjoy!

Thanks guys. I think your notes, mathwonk, are too advanced for me right now, but I'll be sure to check them out when I get there. Thanks again.

I learned linear algebra on my own from Schaum's series "Outline of Linear Algebra" by Seymour Lipschutz. That was about 20 years ago, so I don't know if the latest edition is just as good. It's very introductory, lots of worked examples, after reading even half of it you will deceive yourself that you can do any problem in linear algebra. It's enough linear algebra, say, for a typical undergraduate course in quantum mechanics.

My geocoities.com/r-sharipov site is now off. Use the following sites instead:
http://ruslan-sharipov.ucoz.com"
http://freetextbooks.narod.ru"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA"?

Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA is a popular textbook used in many introductory Linear Algebra courses. It covers the fundamental concepts of Linear Algebra, including vector spaces, matrices, determinants, and eigenvalues.

2. Is "Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the textbook is designed for students with little or no prior knowledge of Linear Algebra. It provides clear explanations and examples to help beginners understand the concepts.

3. Does "Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA" include exercises and solutions?

Yes, the textbook includes a variety of exercises at the end of each chapter to help students practice and reinforce their understanding. It also provides solutions to selected exercises at the end of the book.

4. Are there any online resources available for "Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA"?

Yes, there are various online resources available for the textbook, including lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials. These resources can be found on the publisher's website or through a simple internet search.

5. Is "Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA" a commonly used textbook?

Yes, "Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA" is a widely used textbook in many universities and colleges. It is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a popular choice for introductory Linear Algebra courses.