PF PHOTO CONTEST - Singing In The Rain (9/6-9/12)

In summary, the contest requires that you take a picture of a rainy scene, and you may resize the photo if you wish. You are allowed to crop the picture, and you may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. You may post only one picture per member per contest. The contest ends at the end of the week, and at the end of the contest period, I will open a poll to choose the best picture.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Singing In The Rain

This week, your pictures must show a rainy scene. It must be clear enough that one can tell that it is raining.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
It just finished pouring down nonstop for two days. I could have taken pictures.

Evo said:
It just finished pouring down nonstop for two days. I could have taken pictures.

When I saw the title of the thread, and then saw that a female forum member had answered to it, I was expecting something like a Wet-TShirt-Pic. Quite a letdown. :grumpy:

It's not stopped raining for about a week here! This is perfect timing (cue heatwave)

It was raining all day long on Thursday.

I know I don't have pictures of rain. I have photos just before storms started, where you could see everything is overcast, but once the rain starts, I head indoors and certainly don't take the camera out. Then again, looking at the skies today, I might still have a chance to get something this weekend. :rolleyes:

The remains of Hanna are supposed to whack us with torrential rains tonight and into early Sunday. Now to find something interesting to shoot from the shelter of my truck... My Canons don't go out in the rain.

Can I use a photo of the flashflood we had?

Mother nature watering my mesquite trees. I put out bricks along the street to deflect the water in where it can flood the tree wells. Yep it was still raining I was sitting in my car. I was also definitely singing in the rain, this pic was take the third week of June and it hadn't rained since the middle of February.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9030/1000308ox8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See? Not all of my photos are of my kids. I have taken photos of my kids WITH my dog, too!

Sad day in the rain:

DSCN0039-1.jpg
Is this size right? What Photobucket was calling "640 pixels" was obviously way too small. Now they are calling this ^ "800 pixels" wide, which it obviously isn't. Why did they change things? All of a sudden you have to resize everything to one of a few preset sizes. I tell you, if these free sevices don't start providing some customer satisfaction, I don't know what I'll do. Literally.

Edit: I resized it to the tiny, yet "nominal" 650 pixels. It looks too small now. What gives?

Last edited:
There should be something in the rules that says you can't abuse your kids just to get a picture for this contest. Good thing the contest wasn't "singing in the golf size hailstorm"

Chi, that's why I don't use photobucket's resizer, I use picresize.com.

Aww...it's not going to rain here until at least November (if that...I just moved to LA in July, so I don't know how much of a rainy season it even has in the winter).

However, on some days it does look overcast, even though there are no clouds. ;)

tribdog said:
There should be something in the rules that says you can't abuse your kids just to get a picture for this contest. Good thing the contest wasn't "singing in the golf size hailstorm"

:rofl:

tribdog said:

I got one for that contest too!

And I figured out the size problem. I was looking at it on the laptop which has higher resolution than the desktop, hence 650 pixels takes up less space! That's why it looked tiny. I'm so clever!

Berry Rainy
2837051925_e851debef8_o.jpg

Anybody still willing to enter the contest? Or does she win by walkover?

Borek said:

The splashing rain looks like sparklers!

Freakin' Chickahominy!
Commence race for second place again!

Ben Niehoff said:
Aww...it's not going to rain here until at least November (if that...I just moved to LA in July, so I don't know how much of a rainy season it even has in the winter).

However, on some days it does look overcast, even though there are no clouds. ;)

I'm assuming you mean L.A. city and not Louisiana since it was just raining there.
Southern CA gets some rain but usually not alot. Most of the time it rains for a few hours then stops. We've had a bit of a drought lately.

I keep wanting to enter one of these contests but I never have any photos. I had a great one I could have taken for the last but it was too late by the time I remembered to go take the pic. And right now its still hot as hell here and probably won't rain for quite a while.

Borek said:

Ah, let's not start that sort of talk Borek. I will give a tip for anyone willing to try a shot like this. The rain must be back lit or it won't show up and you need a shutter speed of 1/60 or slower. I have several shots of wet fruit with no rain until I got the angle right.

Thanks ZapperZ for getting me out of a photography rut with this weeks contest theme!

rsz_Flashflood012.jpg

Here's what I have...It's from the flood we had.

Just a reminder that your picture must clearly show the rain. In a few of the pictures submitted, it isn't quite clear that the pictures were taken while it was raining.

Zz.

do you think its ALWAYS raining somewhere?

larkspur said:
Ah, let's not start that sort of talk Borek. I will give a tip for anyone willing to try a shot like this. The rain must be back lit or it won't show up and you need a shutter speed of 1/60 or slower. I have several shots of wet fruit with no rain until I got the angle right.

Technicalities are obvious, seeing right thing at the right moment is not. To use Matrix quote (second time this week): there is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path :biggrin:

I have an idea, and it was even raining today... around 4:30 a.m. Thunder woke me up and I closed the roof window, but it was too dark. It is dry now and the forecast doesn't indicate rain in the next two days :frown:

Last edited:
Dang! I don't have any pictures where it's clearly raining outside.

Good thing is, weather doesn't watch forecasts. Rain simply didn't know it is not going to fall.

raining.jpg

If it is about singing, it must be a dripping blues.

you've got a kid outside on the roof with a hose don't you.

Shhh, I don't want the picture to be disqualified!

Honestly, this window shouldn't look that bad after just 5 years. I have put a new varnish this spring, so it is well protected, but it looks ugly, especially in this combination of natural and artificial light :frown:

Thanks Zz for guaranteeing that Hannah didn't send a drop of rain out my way. We got a bit of overcast skies, but no rain...and we really do need it. After July being constantly rainy, August and now September has been nearly completely dry. :rolleyes: It hasn't even had that normal late summer humidity in the air.

Hey, all I did was to tell her to avoid Central Florida. The rest she did it all by herself! :)

Zz.

And most certainly we have excellent weather here, not a trace of rain.

ZapperZ said:
Hey, all I did was to tell her to avoid Central Florida. The rest she did it all by herself! :)

Zz.

:rofl: The weather forecast here doesn't show rain arriving until Saturday...of course, after the contest is over. :rolleyes:

Don't you worry, my forecast was dry as well... And it rained for several hours.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: The weather forecast here doesn't show rain arriving until Saturday...of course, after the contest is over. :rolleyes:

Sprinkle some water over a banana and snap a picture.