Bounded solutions of a system of copled liniar Schrodinger equations

In summary, the conversation discussed a system of four coupled linear Schrodinger equations with coefficients given numerically and a condition for their existence. The speaker is interested in finding the bound states and their eigenvalues and is seeking ideas and references for solving this problem, possibly using variational or perturbation methods. They also mentioned that this system has applications in physics and suggested searching for related keywords to find relevant resources.
soarce
bounded solutions of a system of coupled liniar Schrodinger equations

Hi.

I study the following system of four coupled liniar Schrodinger equations:

[itex]
i\delta \left(\begin{array}{c}f&h&g&q \end{array}\right) =
\left(\begin{array}{cccc}
-L_p&-a_1&-a_2&-a_2\\
a_1&L_p&a_2&a_2\\
-a_3&-a_3&-L_c&-a_4\\
a_3&a_3&a_4&L_c
\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}f&h&g&q \end{array}\right)
[/itex]

where [itex]L_{p,c}=\frac{d^2}{dr^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}-\frac{m^2}{r^2}-\beta_{p,c}[/itex]

[itex]\beta_{p,c}>0[/itex], [itex]m[/itex] is integer.

The coeficients [itex]a_j(r)[/itex] are real functions given numerically, they have no singularity on [itex][0,\infty)][/itex], and they fulfill

[itex]\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty} a_j(r)=0[/itex]

I am interested in finding the bound states [itex](f,h,g,q)[/itex] and their eigenvalues, or at least finding some condition for their existence. I will appreciate any idea or any reference (book or article) on how one might solve this problem. I must say that I am physicist.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. The system of coupled linear Schrodinger equations you are studying is very interesting and has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and condensed matter systems.

To find the bound states and their eigenvalues, you can use various mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory, variational methods, or numerical methods. One approach you can try is to use the variational method, where you approximate the solution of the equations by a trial function and minimize the energy functional to find the best approximation. This method has been successfully applied to similar systems of coupled equations in the past.

Another approach is to use perturbation theory, where you expand the solution in a power series and solve for the coefficients iteratively. This method can be more challenging for systems with multiple coupled equations, but it has been used in the past for similar problems in quantum mechanics.

As for references, I recommend looking into textbooks on quantum mechanics or mathematical methods in physics, as well as research articles on similar systems. Some possible keywords to search for include "coupled Schrodinger equations," "bound states," and "eigenvalues."

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is a bounded solution?

A bounded solution is a solution to a system of coupled linear Schrodinger equations that remains finite and well-behaved within a given region of space. This means that the solution does not become infinite or oscillate wildly as the system evolves.

2. What types of systems can have bounded solutions?

Any system described by coupled linear Schrodinger equations can potentially have bounded solutions. This includes many physical systems, such as quantum mechanical systems and certain types of wave propagation problems.

3. How are bounded solutions different from other types of solutions?

Bounded solutions are distinguished from other types of solutions by their finite and well-behaved nature. Non-bounded solutions may become infinite or exhibit chaotic behavior, while bounded solutions remain within a certain range and do not exhibit extreme behavior.

4. What are the implications of having bounded solutions in a system?

Bounded solutions are desirable in physical systems because they represent physically realistic solutions. They also allow for more accurate and stable numerical simulations, making them useful for studying and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

5. How are bounded solutions found in a system of coupled linear Schrodinger equations?

Generally, bounded solutions are found through numerical methods or analytical techniques, depending on the complexity of the system. These methods involve solving the equations and checking for finite and well-behaved behavior within a given region of space.