Why are the electrons heavier in silicon?

• Thread starter mindstream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silicon
In summary, the effective masses of electrons and holes in silicon are highly ellipsoidal and not constant with respect to direction in the crystal. The effective masses of the holes is much more anisotropic than the effective mass of the electrons.
mindstream
Hey there.

I have a question concerning the effective masses in silicon. From what I've learned, the effective masses of electrons and holes can be determined from the curvature of the dispersion curve at the extrema. Since the effective mass is inversely proportional to the second derivative of energy, the less curved extrema represent the heavier electrons or holes. The effective mass tables give values of 0,92 (m*/m0) and 0,19 (m*/m0) for the electrons and 0,52 (m*/m0) and 0,16 (m*/m0) for the holes in silicon. Basically, the electron is almost twice as heavy as the heaviest hole. Now the problem I'm facing is that the dispersion curves aren't that diverse from my point of view.
So is there a flaw in my way of thinking and why are the electrons heavier in silicon.

Thanks in regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
The effective mass of silicon electrons is an ellipsoid, you are quoting the longitudinal and transverse masses. They are highly ellipsoidal, so the masses will be quite different.

As for the others, you are quoting the valence bands (heavy hole and light hole), not too much anisotropy there given the approximation. In more exact formulations the band edge effective masses for the holes is much more anisotropic.

There is no reason that the hole masses have to be heavier than the electrons, and I cannot think of any semiconductor where the electron is heavier than the either of the holes. A really good reason escapes me at the present, so I'll have to look at some of my references to better explain it.

My mistake about the transverse/longitudinal masses. I guess I was referring to the density of states effective mass (or whatever the mass that can be determined from the dispersion curves is called).

But according to Wikipedia:

Material Electron effective mass Hole effective mass

Si 1.08 me 0.56 me
Ge 0.55 me 0.37 me

And I still don't see that big of a difference in silicon. It's more distinct in germanium though.

So, I'm guessing there's something wrong with my comprehension of this matter.

It's all in the band structure and how it is calculated. Now one thing that needs to be said, what you quoted above is the effective mass, not the density of states effective mass which is different. The density of states effective mass takes into account the band structure in a more general manner and is not constant with respect to direction in the crystal, I worked it out in my dissertation for anisotropic materials and the originator was my advisor, the link is, J. Appl. Phys. 54, 3612 (1983) .

What is the concept of effective mass in silicon?

The concept of effective mass in silicon refers to the measurement of the mass of an electron or hole in a semiconductor material, specifically silicon, under the influence of an external electric or magnetic field. It is a value used to describe the behavior of charge carriers in a solid material.

Why is effective mass important in silicon?

Effective mass is important in silicon because it affects the electrical and optical properties of the material. It determines the velocity of charge carriers and how they respond to external forces, which ultimately affects the performance of electronic devices made from silicon.

How is effective mass measured in silicon?

Effective mass in silicon is typically measured through experiments such as cyclotron resonance, which involves applying a magnetic field to a sample and measuring the frequency at which electrons or holes move in a circular motion. Other methods include Hall effect measurements and quantum oscillations.

What factors affect the effective mass of charge carriers in silicon?

The effective mass of charge carriers in silicon can be influenced by factors such as temperature, impurities, and strain. At higher temperatures, the effective mass can increase due to increased scattering of charge carriers. Impurities and strain in the crystal structure can also affect the effective mass by altering the crystal lattice and its electronic properties.

How does effective mass impact the performance of silicon-based devices?

The effective mass of charge carriers in silicon can affect the performance of devices in several ways. For example, a lower effective mass can result in faster charge carrier movement and better conductivity, leading to higher device speeds. On the other hand, a higher effective mass can result in lower mobility and poorer device performance.