Particle Falling g=1m/s^2 how much time does it take to fall?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle falling freely with a given acceleration and distance. The equations of motion for constant acceleration are mentioned and used to solve for the time it takes for the particle to fall. The correct answer is found to be approximately 0.45 seconds. The use of Latex in the forum is also suggested as a helpful tool for writing equations.
Jordash

Homework Statement

A particle falls freely through a distance of 1.00 m starting from rest. Assume resume that g = 10
m/s^2.
How much time does it take to fall? (4E-1)

Homework Equations

I think a=vf-vi/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried 10m/s^2=1/10m/s-0/t

And tried to solve for t

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jordash, from the looks of things you are not too familiar with the equations of motion for constant acceleration (often called the SUVAT equations). Here they are in one form:

[tex]v_f = v_i + at[/tex]
[tex]s = \frac{(v_f + v_i)}{2}t[/tex]
[tex]s = v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]s = v_ft - \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2as[/tex]

where s is displacment, and for the purposes of you question you can consider that the distance traveled by the particle. So now that's all you need to solve this problem, have a real think about what you know about the particle, don't make any assumptions and only use values that you can gather from the question, I will say that you thought that the final velocity of the particle was 0.1ms-1, now that isn't correct as it is not as simple as deviding the distance by the acceleration. Pehaps using these equations you could also work out the correct final velocity ;-)

Ok, let me know if I'm heading in the right direction with this, I used the equation above:

s=v_it+1/2at^2

And I got to here:

1m=0+1/2*10m/s^2*t^2

1m=5m/s^2*t^2
1m/5m/s^2=t^2

So now I need to find what t = by solving for t^2=1/5 if I'm doing it right? I hope I did it right.

Which comes out to about: .45 seconds, is that right?

Sorry I don't know how to use Latex :(

Thank you very much for the excellent list and your help.

Hey Jordash, perfect, congrat on the answer. And that's no problem about the latex, although if you do want to post more around these forums you might like to learn a bit for simple equations, it really isn't hard to do, infact the equations you wrote are almost in latex :D

Dont feel obligated to do so, but if you would like to learn a bit of latex you could try this http://www.sitmo.com/latex/". You can code some latex or select the symbols which shows you the code, and it shows you what it looks like in real time ;-)

Oh and also this forum has a built in Latex help, if you click this symbol:

[tex]\sum[/tex]

when you are in the reply/edit post screen, if brings up a list of all the latex "things" you can do :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thank you very much for your help :D

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, represented by the variable g, is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. This means that an object in free fall will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared towards the ground.

What is the formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to fall?

The formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to fall is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

Does the mass of an object affect its falling time?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its falling time. The time it takes for an object to fall is solely dependent on the height and acceleration due to gravity.

Is air resistance a factor in calculating falling time?

Yes, air resistance can affect the falling time of an object. However, in most cases, it is negligible and does not significantly impact the calculation of falling time.

What is terminal velocity and how does it relate to falling time?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity an object can reach while falling due to the balance between air resistance and the force of gravity. Once an object reaches terminal velocity, its falling time will remain constant until it reaches the ground.