Explaining Bohmian Mechanics: Wavefunction, Pilot Wave & Particles

In summary, Bohmian mechanics is a quantum interpretation that posits the existence of a pilot wave in addition to the wavefunction, and particles which move according to a classical Hamiltonian with a quantum potential determined by the pilot wave. This interpretation eliminates the "weirdness" and paradoxes of quantum mechanics and allows for a more intuitive understanding of phenomena such as double slit experiments.
You can treat your melting ball experiment in an inertial frame. In that frame the ball accelerates and there are no Unruh particles. The effect is then related to the Casimir effect. It is not the same as the "dynamic Casimir effect", but essentially it is just a matter of the acceleating object imposing certain boundary conditions on the fields.

Physics news on Phys.org
What? If we agree on the macroscopic realism, then if ball melted in one frame, it must melt in all others. If ball is accelerating then it can not be in inertial frame

Well, technically, in GR you can use any frames, but in any frame co-moving with a ball there will be rindler horizons.

BTW, how particle can be accelerated? What we see in "accelerators" is a sum-over-histories of charged particles, exchanging virtual photons with magnets, increasing the momentum after each interactions. But between interactions the momentum is conserved.

What I mean is that you an describe the accelerating ball in an intertial frame and do the calculations in tat frame. Then there is no Unruh radiation, but the ball will still melt.

See here for an example worked out from the two points of views:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0104030

Dmitry67 said:
'Ball melted' is macroscopic event. Why do we talk about the measurement here while the effects of the Unruh radiation are macroscopic?
Lets talk only about the macroscopically observable version.

So, what happens to to ball and to the ball in the box? I provided you my version of what is going to happen. What do you think?
First, I don't understand the word "macroscopic" except in terms of decoherence.
Second, I think that accelerated ball will melt and that nothing will happen with the box. This is because the forces act on the ball and not on the box.

Count Iblis said:
See here for an example worked out from the two points of views:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0104030
I partially disagree with this paper, i.e., I do not think that the Unruh effect is really necessary to describe this process in the accelerated frame. I have actually submitted a comment on this paper, but PRL has rejected it.