Billiard Balls-Elastic Collision

• Thread starter CaptainTrips
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving an elastic collision between two billiard balls, one traveling at 7.0 m/s and the other initially at rest. The problem asks for the angle between the velocity vectors of the two balls after the collision, as well as the speed of each ball after the collision. The conversation delves into solving the problem using equations for kinetic energy and momentum, as well as recognizing the triangle formed by the velocity vectors and the Pythagorean theorem. The conclusion is that in an elastic collision between two objects of equal mass at an oblique angle, the angle between the directions after the collision is always 90 degrees, making it easier to solve the problem.
CaptainTrips
Billiard Balls--Elastic Collision

I'm going through my old homework problems to prepare for the AP exam, and I got this right back in December, but now I have no idea how to solve it

Homework Statement

A cue ball traveling at 7.0 m/s makes a glancing, elastic collision with a target ball of equal mass that is initially at rest. The cue ball is deflected so that it makes an angle of 30° with its original direction of travel. Find:
a) the angle between the velocity vectors of the two balls after the collision
b) the speed of each ball after the collision

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv2
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

The collision is elastic, so both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, so

1/2mv02 = 1/2mv12 + 1/2 mv22
v02 = v12 + v22

and

mv0 = mv1 + mv2
v0 = v1 + v2

The x component of the cue ball's final velocity is v1cos30
The x component of the target ball's final velocity is v2cosΘ

this gives me two equations, and three unknowns:

49 = (v1cos30)2 + (v2cosΘ)2

7 = v1cos30 + v2cosΘ

Am I missing something that will tell me the angle of the velocity of the second ball? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

For KE, you use the total magnitude of the velocity and don't break it up into x components. Also, the third equation you might be looking for is the y-component of momentum. Three equations and three unknowns is solvable.

Okay, so then my equations should be:

49 = v12 + v22
7 = v1cos30 + v2cosΘ

and, since i feel like the y components of momentum ought to cancel out for some reason,

0 = v1sin30 - v2sinΘ

The algebra is getting pretty thorny...

The y-components of the momentum are correct, since there is no initial y-momentum. The equations do look correct, although it is pretty late and I might be forgetting something, but let's hope not. Now you need to wade through some messy algebra, and definitely check your final answers when you are done.

CaptainTrips said:
I
The collision is elastic, so both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, so

1/2mv02 = 1/2mv12 + 1/2 mv22
v02 = v12 + v22
Ok.

and

mv0 = mv1 + mv2
v0 = v1 + v2

This is correct only if these are vectors.

[tex]\vec v_0 = \vec v_1 + \vec v_2[/tex]

Draw the vector triangle made by these velocity vectors.

Since

[tex]v_0^2 = v_1^2 + v_2^2[/tex]

what kind of triangle is it?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Ok.

This is correct only if these are vectors.

[tex]\vec v_0 = \vec v_1 + \vec v_2[/tex]

Draw the vector triangle made by these velocity vectors.

Since

[tex]v_0^2 = v_1^2 + v_2^2[/tex]

what kind of triangle is it?

AM

i think the answer you wanted me to get for the triangle question is that it's a right triangle, probably because I'm supposed to recognize the Pythagorean theorem? Didn't see that, maybe next time.

Anyway, I slogged through the algebra and got the correct answer. I'll remember to look for that in the future though.

Thanks!

CaptainTrips said:
i think the answer you wanted me to get for the triangle question is that it's a right triangle, probably because I'm supposed to recognize the Pythagorean theorem? Didn't see that, maybe next time.

Anyway, I slogged through the algebra and got the correct answer. I'll remember to look for that in the future though.

Thanks!
In an elastic collision between two objects of equal mass at an oblique angle, the angle between the directions after the collision is always 90 degrees. That makes it very easy to solve this problem.

You can observe this all the time in curling and billiards (except that in billiards the cue ball spin can dramatically change how the cue ball moves after collision).

AM

1. What is an elastic collision between billiard balls?

An elastic collision between billiard balls is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that after the collision, the sum of the kinetic energies of the two balls remains the same as it was before the collision.

2. How are the velocities of the billiard balls affected after an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision between billiard balls, the velocities of the two balls are exchanged. This means that the ball with the greater initial velocity will have a lower velocity after the collision, and the ball with the lower initial velocity will have a greater velocity after the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

The main difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision is that in an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the deformation of the colliding objects. In other words, in an inelastic collision, the kinetic energy is not conserved.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision between billiard balls?

The outcome of an elastic collision between billiard balls is affected by several factors, including the masses of the balls, the velocities of the balls, and the angle at which they collide. These factors determine the amount of kinetic energy transferred between the two balls and ultimately determine the final velocities of the balls after the collision.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collisions between billiard balls?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In the case of billiard balls, a higher coefficient of restitution means that the collision is more elastic, meaning that more of the kinetic energy is conserved. The coefficient of restitution is directly related to the velocities of the balls before and after the collision and can be used to calculate the outcome of an elastic collision between billiard balls.