Paintball impact with stonger Gun

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential effects of using a stronger weapon in paintball, with the question being whether a bigger gun would result in a stronger hit. Some argued that the speed and energy of the paintball would have a direct impact on the amount of pain felt, while others suggested that the breaking of the shell upon impact could also play a role. The conversation ended with a suggestion to settle the debate through experimentation, with the understanding that a faster paintball would likely result in a more painful hit.
geoalfa
We went paint balling with 17 friends. At dinner we had an discussion if a stronger weapon would result in stronger hit.

The question is?

Is their a maximum of energy a paint-ball can give to your body, independent of speed or energy.

In other words...Will a bigger gun hurts more than a smaller gun with the same type of balls, because the balls will always break on impact.

This a very hot issue:) Some people will lose/win a dinner:)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have ever played paintball at a field you will have likely had to chronograph your gun, the maximum (standard) speed is 300 feet per second because too much faster and it can become fairly unsafe (and leave some pretty gnarly bruises). So yes, if you shoot a paintball faster it will have more energy when it strikes them. Does it hurt more? It's hard to say, if the shell does not break on impact it can hurt allot, even if it was not going too quickly. However, if it breaks instantly at a very high speed the energy would be distributed over a larger area and may seem to 'hurt' less.

You are both somewhat right I guess.

Even though the shell breaks, it (or rather, its pieces) as well as the contents continue to move forward. Yes, a more powerful gun will hurt more. The energy has to go somewhere; energy which goes into breaking the shell is not lost, it eventually goes into you.

Thanks for your replies...

Is their a way to prove this, with e.g. a calculation or something else because the two reaction so far seems to contradict each other.

Regards,

Geo.

As much as I like math, equations aren't going to prove anything to everyone's satisfaction. This is one to be settled by (CAREFUL!) experimentation. I wouldn't go above 300 fps, as indicated above, not only for safety reasons but also in many areas it's the maximum allowed by law. You should be able to note a considerable difference between 250 fps and 300 fps, though.

Well, negitron is right... But there is a super obvious example, the momentum equation.

It is simply (p = m*v) where 'p' is the momentum in kg*ms, 'm' is the mass in kilograms and 'v' is the velocity in meters a second.

SO... if we assume the average weight of a paintball is roughly 0.003201 kilograms;

(for 300 feet per second)
0.003201 * 91.44 = 0.29269944 kg*ms

(for 250 feet per second)
0.003201 * 76.2 = 0.2439162 kg*ms

So, it should hurt ~20% more... I guess.The only question is what happens when the paintball breaks on someone. Not much, it still has to deposit all of its energy into the person/object it struck. Only the contact surface area will be larger than if it had not broken so, to a person, it may feel like it 'hurt' less. But if we assume the paintball always breaks (it usually does unless its a graze) all of this last bit is void anyhow.

To make this even MORE obvious, imagine an paintball traveling at half of the speed of light, break or no break, it's going to be one hell of a deadly hit. So, yeah, it goes faster, it hurts more.

EDIT: Also, I don't see how negitron contradicted me with his post.

I like negitron's idea. Go shoot each other with paintball guns of ever increasing muzzle velocity. First one to quit gets called a wussy. Don't worry, it's in the name of science ;)

Thanks you all,

Sorry James Leighe, my mistake..thanks for the math’s. If this doesn't help us to get out of this discussion we will certainly use plan B(Break all Bones with paintballs till somebody say stop...) in the name of science of course:)))))

Regards,

Albert.

1. How does using a stronger gun affect the impact of paintballs?

Using a stronger gun typically results in a more powerful impact on the paintball. This is because a stronger gun is able to shoot the paintball at a higher velocity, resulting in a harder impact when it hits a target.

2. Will using a stronger gun cause more pain or bruising when hit by a paintball?

Yes, using a stronger gun can potentially cause more pain or bruising when hit by a paintball. This is because the higher velocity of the paintball can result in a harder impact on the body. It is important to always wear proper protective gear when participating in paintball, regardless of the strength of the gun being used.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using a stronger gun in paintball?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using a stronger gun in paintball. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations when using any type of paintball gun. Additionally, using a stronger gun can increase the risk of injury, so it is important to always wear proper protective gear and use caution when playing.

4. Can using a stronger gun improve my performance in paintball?

In some cases, using a stronger gun can improve performance in paintball. This is because a stronger gun can shoot paintballs at a higher velocity, making it more accurate and increasing the chances of hitting a target. However, it is important to also consider factors such as skill, strategy, and teamwork when it comes to performance in paintball.

5. Are there any limitations on using a stronger gun in paintball?

Yes, there are limitations on using a stronger gun in paintball. Many paintball fields have strict regulations on the maximum velocity allowed for paintball guns, and using a gun that exceeds this limit can result in penalties or even being banned from the field. It is important to always check with the field or event organizers before using a stronger gun in paintball.