Spyware and Pop up's in Physics Forum Archives

• Thread starter sol2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of experiencing difficulties with the physics forum archives due to potential spyware and pop-up ads. The use of Firefox is recommended as a safer alternative. The conversation also delves into the development of the internet and the philosophical question of ownership in relation to computerization.
sol2
I am curious as to whether anyone is experiencing this difficulty as well.

I have been creating intricate networking of postings other then this forum for reference back to it, but if this is happening other then myself, it could become a deterant to using references to physics forum for future considerations.

I want to maintain these links to the archives but will have to consider otherwise, if this continues. Any thoughts in this regard would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I have got some pretty nasty spyware from the archives a couple of times.

Why are you in the archive anyway, mostly just for search engines :)

What is the spyware though?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why are you in the archive anyway, mostly just for search engines :)

What is the spyware though?

Not just for search engines. If you do searches for respective information and you have not this on current boards, it wil automatically direct you to sources request in links. You have no way to "differentiate" until to click on it.

Spyware can take control of your computer through the record of your key strikes. I have to remove them once week, and everytime I have visited the archive material.

There must be safe guards around your archive or it will hurt the board. Trust me :smile: Fortunately AOL has this feature that I can use, since I am on dial up and from a country location.

On average two a week for the last two months. I must say adware is one of these sometimes. As well, security features must also be considered here.

Last edited:
sol2 said:
I am downloading at this time. Do you know of any compatibility issues with XP?

I've used it for over a year now and have had no troubles

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've used it for over a year now and have had no troubles

Thank you.

Is there a way to protect the archive?

dduardo said:
Not really, just stick with firefox and you should be fine.

Even the US Department of Homeland Security doesn't recommend Internet Explorer:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=248543#post248543

On another note It was really interesting to watch the development of the internet along two paths.

This was interesting because it ask about the fundamental rights of copyright/copyleft.

Do you recall the Cathedral and the Bizzare?

The cathedral is the monothethic approach to building software, while the bizarre is the open source market. I remember this from watching the Revolution O.S..

For those interested in reading the book Eric Raymond has it posted on this website.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

sol2 said:
Cathedral and the Bizzare?

http://www.macopinion.com/columns/macskeptic/00/07/07/

Funny word play. Jeff Lewis uses "Bizarre" to refer to the "bazaar" approach, and it seems sol has found more useful the new spelling,
Bizzare... hmm it somehow sounds as bizz, bussines or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
arivero said:

Funny word play. Jeff Lewis uses "Bizarre" to refer to the "bazaar" approach, and it seems sol has found more useful the new spelling,
That is a GREAT link because it provides the SAME usefulness as the one sol offered ! --lol

arivero said:

:rofl: Thanks for pointing out error.

It was a interesting exploration in how Microsoft and Netscape diverged into two different pathways.

One has to read Gamow first though. The history of the internet development and then we see this duality emerge? It too has a philosophical question about ownership when it comes to immediate expression of the new quantum reality in computerization?

How would one ever manage it?

cellec said:
That is a GREAT link because it provides the SAME usefulness as the one sol offered ! --lol

You had to be there right? :smile:

Imagine someone telling you that when you buy your computer that you can only use Microsoft as its operating system. Do you like being told what to do in a cornered market?

1. What is spyware and how does it work?

Spyware is a type of malicious software that is designed to secretly gather information from a computer or device without the user's knowledge or consent. It often collects personal information and browsing habits, and can also slow down the performance of a device. Spyware can enter a system through infected websites, email attachments, or by downloading infected software.

2. Can spyware and pop-ups be harmful to my computer?

Yes, spyware and pop-ups can be harmful to your computer. Spyware can steal personal information and compromise the security of your device. Pop-ups can also lead to the installation of more spyware or other types of malware. They can also be used for phishing scams to trick users into revealing sensitive information.

3. How can I protect my computer from spyware and pop-ups?

To protect your computer from spyware and pop-ups, it is important to have reliable antivirus software installed and regularly updated. Avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading unknown software. It is also recommended to regularly clear your browsing history and cookies to prevent spyware from tracking your online activities.

4. Are there any legal implications for using spyware?

The use of spyware is generally considered illegal, as it invades the privacy of individuals and can be used for malicious purposes. It is important to always obtain consent before installing any type of monitoring software on a device, and to ensure that it is used ethically and legally.

5. Can I remove spyware and pop-ups from my computer?

Yes, it is possible to remove spyware and pop-ups from your computer. You can use reputable antivirus software to scan and remove any detected threats. It is also recommended to regularly clean your browser's cache and cookies to prevent spyware from returning. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help to completely remove the spyware.