Verifying Manifold from RP2 to R4 Embedding

• Thread starter sin123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a map F from S2 in R3 into R4, which is given by F(x,y,z) = (x^2 - y^2, xy, xz, yz). The main goal is to show that this map is an embedding of the real projective plane, but first it must be verified that the image of this map is a manifold. The two approaches for verifying this are discussed, but the second approach does not work due to the degeneracy of the Jacobian matrix. The conversation then focuses on the first approach and discusses how to find and verify neighborhoods that work for this map. The conversation also mentions trying to work in polar coordinates but facing difficulty. Finally, a suggestion
sin123
P.S. This was supposed to go into the homework forum. I had windows open for both forums and I ended up using the wrong one.

Let F be a map from S2 in R3 into R4, given by

[tex] F(x,y,z) = (x^2 - y^2, xy, xz, yz) [ = (a,b,c,d)] [/tex]

Eventually I am supposed to show that this is an embedding of the real projective plane, but first I am asked to verify that the image of this map is a manifold at all. And that proved trickier than it looked like.

I know two ways of verifying that something is indeed a manifold.

1) Find local diffeomorphisms, taking a neighborhood of the manifold into R4 such that points on the manifold land in a copy of R2 inside R4

2) Show that the manifold is the level set of some function, where the derivative of that function has full rank at every point inside the level set.

-----

2) Didn't seem to work because I always ended up squaring too many terms to get to a constant. The Jacobian matrix ended up degenerate in too many places to do those by hand, and I also ended up including points in the level set that are not part of the manifold.

Now I am trying to go with approach (1). I can write down rules for the required functions, but I am not sure how to find neighborhoods that work.

For example, if I start with a point p=F(x,y,z) where z2 is not 0 or 1/2, I get

[tex]a = \frac{2c^2 - 2 d^2}{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4 (c^2 + d^2)}},
b = \frac{2cd}{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4 (c^2 + d^2)}}[/tex]

where I use a plus in the denominator if z2 < .5 and a minus if z2 > .5. Once I have a and b in terms of c and d, I could pick a map as follows:

[tex]g(a,b,c,d) = (a - \frac{2c^2 - 2 d^2}{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4 (c^2 + d^2)}}, b - \frac{2cd}{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4 (c^2 + d^2)}}, c,d)[/tex]

This map returns (0,0,c,d) iff (a,b,c,d) was on the manifold in a small enough neighborhood of p. My problem is that I need to pin down an open set in R4 that does not accidentally contain a point on the manifold that is "on a different part" of the manifold than p.

Any suggestions? How do I find and verify my neighborhoods?

P.S. I also tried working in polar coordinates but I had a very hard time tracking cases and solving for variables in a couple of instances.

Physics news on Phys.org
Direct computation seems tedious and difficult. Why not show that there are local inverses.

For instance, if z, x,and y are all non-zero and x and y have the same sign,one can find two inverse open regions on the sphere. The second coordinate tells you that they both have the same sign and the last two allow you to solve for their squares. Similarly, you get two inverse regions if x and y have opposite sign. these 4 cover most of the image. Since F is smooth and has these local inverses (you need to check that the local inverses are smooth) the image is a manifold in these regions. Now go for the cases where z is zero and one of x and y are zero.

What is "Verifying Manifold from RP2 to R4 Embedding"?

"Verifying Manifold from RP2 to R4 Embedding" is a mathematical concept that involves mapping a 2-dimensional projective space (RP2) to a 4-dimensional Euclidean space (R4) in a way that preserves the underlying geometric structure.

Why is it important to verify a manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding?

Verifying a manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding is important because it allows us to understand and study the geometry of a 4-dimensional space by using a simpler 2-dimensional space. This can provide insights and solutions to complex problems in mathematics and other fields such as physics and computer science.

What are some applications of verifying manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding?

The concept of verifying manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding has various applications, such as in computer graphics, where it is used to create 3D models from 2D images. It also has applications in physics, specifically in the study of spacetime and the theory of relativity.

What are some techniques used in verifying manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding?

There are several techniques used in verifying manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding, including algebraic and differential geometry, topology, and linear algebra. These techniques help in understanding the structure and properties of the manifold and how it can be mapped to the higher-dimensional space.

Are there any challenges in verifying manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding?

Yes, there can be challenges in verifying manifold from RP2 to R4 embedding, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and calculations. Additionally, finding an exact mapping can be difficult, and in some cases, it may not be possible to find a perfect embedding without distortion or overlaps.