Gauss's TheoremNet Force due to Uniform Pressure on a Closed Surface = 0

In summary, the Net Force due to a uniform pressure acting on a closed surface is always zero, regardless of the shape of the surface. This can be proven using Gauss's Theorem, which relates a volume integral to a surface integral. Even though pressure is a scalar field, the divergence theorem can be applied by considering the pressure as a vector field with a direction perpendicular to the surface. This can be expressed as \int_{Vol}(\nabla\cdot(p\mathbf{-n}))\,dV = \int_{surface}p(\mathbf{-n})\,dA \,\,\,\,\,\,(3).
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

In my fluid mechanics text, it states that the Net Force due to a uniform pressure acting on a
closed surface is zero or:

[tex]\mathbf{F} = \int_{surface}p(\mathbf{-n})\,dA = 0 \,\,\,\,\,\,\,(1)[/tex]

where n is the unit normal vector and is defined as positive pointing outward from the surface.

The text then states that "...this result is independent of the shape of the surface. This can be proved by using Gauss's Theorem from Vector Analysis..."

I would like to prove this, but it has been over a year since I took multivariate calculus. When I google "Gauss's Theorem" I keep getting the divergence theorem, but fail to see how this is helpful?

The divergence theorem states that:

[tex]\int_{Volume}(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F})\,dV = \int_{surface}\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}\, dS \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(2)[/tex]

where F is a differentiable vector field.

So Gauss's Theorem relates a volume integral to a surface integral. In (1) I am clearly dealing with a surface integral.

Can I get a nudge here? Also I am dealing with a pressure field (constant at that). This is a scalar field; why does Gauss's Theorem still apply?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think that I was mistaken when I said

Also I am dealing with a pressure field (constant at that). This is a scalar field...

Clearly pressure has a direction, namely inwards and normal to the control surface.

So if pressure is uniform, I would write Gauss's Theorem as

[tex]\int_{Vol}(\nabla\cdot\mathbf{p})\,dV = \int_{surface}p(\mathbf{-n})\,dA [/tex]

or

[tex]\int_{Vol}(\nabla\cdot(p\mathbf{-n}))\,dV = \int_{surface}p(\mathbf{-n})\,dA \,\,\,\,\,\,(3)[/tex]

This look better?

EDIT: I feel like I am almost there. But I don't know if the form of (3) helps me..

Any thoughts on this one?

1. What is Gauss's Theorem?

Gauss's Theorem, also known as the Divergence Theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within that surface. It was developed by mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss.

2. How is Gauss's Theorem used in science?

Gauss's Theorem is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics, to analyze and understand the behavior of vector fields. It can be used to calculate the net flow of a vector field through a closed surface, which is particularly useful in studying the movement of fluids or electric fields.

3. What does "uniform pressure" mean in Gauss's Theorem?

In the context of Gauss's Theorem, "uniform pressure" refers to a constant and evenly distributed pressure throughout a closed surface. This simplifies the calculations involved in applying the theorem, as the pressure does not vary at different points on the surface.

4. How does Gauss's Theorem relate to conservation of mass?

Gauss's Theorem can be used to prove the principle of conservation of mass, which states that the total mass within a closed system remains constant over time. By applying the theorem, it can be shown that the net flow of a vector field (such as a fluid) through a closed surface is equal to the divergence of the vector field within the surface, providing a mathematical basis for the conservation of mass.

5. What is the significance of "Net Force due to Uniform Pressure on a Closed Surface = 0" in Gauss's Theorem?

This statement, also known as the "Zero Net Force Theorem," is a specific application of Gauss's Theorem in the field of fluid dynamics. It states that when a fluid is subject to uniform pressure on a closed surface, the net force on that surface is equal to zero. This is useful in analyzing the behavior of fluids, such as in calculating the forces acting on a submerged object in a fluid.