How capacitor blocks dc current?

In summary, capacitors block direct current while allowing alternating current to pass. This is done by an insulating layer between the two parts of the circuit. When a dc battery, bulb, and capacitor are connected in a circuit, dc current is flowing because there is no change of voltage with respect to time. However, when capacitors are used in AC circuits, they can be used to calculate the current through the capacitor. The higher the capacitance, the more charge is displaced and it is a linear relationship.
Averagesupernova said:
Ummmmm, be careful here. The ripple portion of rectified DC is not DC. It is the AC component.

Ahhhh yes...thank you.

But the rippled portion isn't actually alternating...it's magnitude is just changing over time??

Does anyone have a graph of the current thru cap superimposed over rectified voltage across a capacitor. I've tried to graph it...It seems like the current in the cap will not be able to reverse direction because of the diodes of the rectifer...confused once again!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
psparky said:
Ahhhh yes...thank you.

But the rippled portion isn't actually alternating...it's magnitude is just changing over time??

Does anyone have a graph of the current thru cap superimposed over rectified voltage across a capacitor. I've tried to graph it...It seems like the current in the cap will not be able to reverse direction because of the diodes of the rectifer...confused once again!

I guess the term DC may depend on the context and how the person has DC defined in their head.

To me, DC is the component of any signal that has a frequency of 0.

The rippled portion can be decomposed into its Fourier components, which are AC signals of varying magnitude/frequency/phase.

DragonPetter said:
I guess the term DC may depend on the context and how the person has DC defined in their head.

To me, DC is the component of any signal that has a frequency of 0.

The rippled portion can be decomposed into its Fourier components, which are AC signals of varying magnitude/frequency/phase.

So in your mind and hopefully others...half and full wave rectifers do NOT produce DC voltage? Interesting...because alternators in your car go thru full wave rectifers to charge your battery. So technically it is DC...just the voltage is bouncing up and down in one direction over time.

What is the true definition of Direct current? Does it mean that it flows only in one direction...or does it mean it flows only in one direction and is a flat line with zero frequency?

And more importantly, how do you get that cool signature after your replies on here like Sophie and some of the others have?

psparky said:
So in your mind and hopefully others...half and full wave rectifers do NOT produce DC voltage? Interesting...because alternators in your car go thru full wave rectifers to charge your battery. So technically it is DC...just the voltage is bouncing up and down in one direction over time.

They produce a voltage with a definite DC bias (average voltage), but AC components are created too because of the diodes turning on and off. That's what the capacitors are there for, to filter out the higher frequencies and only leave the DC bias (in other words, average).

psparky said:
What is the true definition of Direct current? Does it mean that it flows only in one direction...or does it mean it flows only in one direction and is a flat line with zero frequency?

It sounds like you are confused about AC signals on a DC bias. Just because a signal is always positive does not mean it can't have AC components, or that all of its components only have current direction that is positive. The net voltage and current may always be positive, but some frequencies that are biased on the DC bias will have negative voltage. This is rather easy to show mathematically if you add a sine wave to a constant that is greater than the sine amplitude, you see that the sine wave has periods of negative voltage/current, but when it is biased, the two superimpose and the voltage is always positive, even though the AC signal is still there.

psparky said:
And more importantly, how do you get that cool signature after your replies on here like Sophie and some of the others have?
No idea, I think you edit your profile. You might have to be a PF contributor.

Last edited:
A 'Unidirectional' signal would always be positive (or negative) DC signal would have a constant value (flat line). The mean value of a unidirectional signal (or any time varying signal) would be the DC component. If you pass a time varying signal through a series capacitor then, after a while, the resulting signal will have a mean value of zero. That's what we call AC coupling. It's the same effect that you'd get if you passed the signal through a 1:1 transformer - the DC component is 'blocked'.

sophiecentaur said:
A 'Unidirectional' signal would always be positive (or negative) DC signal would have a constant value (flat line). The mean value of a unidirectional signal (or any time varying signal) would be the DC component. If you pass a time varying signal through a series capacitor then, after a while, the resulting signal will have a mean value of zero. That's what we call AC coupling. It's the same effect that you'd get if you passed the signal through a 1:1 transformer - the DC component is 'blocked'.

Almost there...explain this more please.

yeah, I can see from the formula that when you have no frequency you have an infinite capacative reactance.

So an ideal capacitor blocks DC you say, what about the charge time? an ideal cap will block ALL current you are saying?

I don't know I am kind of thinking, if there is a difference in voltage, there will be current flowing to it. Even in the case of an ideal capacitor?

Can you set me right here

Last edited:
psparky said:
Almost there...explain this more please.

If you measure the current over a long period of time and then find the mean value, that is the 'DC' value. The capacitor has zero net difference in charge from start to end of the operation. It has discharged by the same amount as it has charged over that period of time as the AC components rippled through it.

Borek said:
ac-dc.png

DC is stopped, AC passes through.

Let's face it...there is no better explanation than this...simple and to the point :-D

FOIWATER said:
So an ideal capacitor blocks DC you say, what about the charge time? an ideal cap will block ALL current you are saying?

I don't know I am kind of thinking, if there is a difference in voltage, there will be current flowing to it. Even in the case of an ideal capacitor?

Can you set me right here

You are right that a voltage difference will cause current to flow and that there will be a charge time in a non-ideal capacitor with ESR, or in a capacitor with an impedance before it. In an ideal capacitor, the current will be proportional to dV/dt and so charging a capacitor directly from a step function should give an instantaneous surge in current to a new voltage on the capacitor in ideal circuit theory.

If it is charging, that means the voltage has changed from its initial condition to a new voltage level at some time that is usually considered at t= 0. DC voltage does not change, but the voltage at the capacitor must if it has an initial voltage different from the applied DC voltage, and so that applied signal is actually not just DC; the charging condition would involve other frequencies.

See the Fourier transform of the step function (boxcar, not heaviside) below to see the spectrum:
http://www.aanda.org/index.php?opti...l=/articles/aa/full/2001/30/aa10486/img32.gif

Last edited:
This thread could be ended if people only accepted what the term DC really means.
"DC, but changing a bit" isn't DC.

sophiecentaur said:
This thread could be ended if people only accepted what the term DC really means.
"DC, but changing a bit" isn't DC.

It depends on the definition.

Wikipedia defines DC as a unidirectional flow of electrical charge, not a constant flow.

250px-Current_rectification_diagram.svg.png

"types of direct current"

An alternative, usually used in electronics, is that DC is an offset from zero of the average value of a waveform.
So, a 20 volt peak to peak sinewave, which goes from minus 5 volts to plus 15 volts, has a "DC component" of plus 5 volts.
A series capacitor will remove this offset "DC" voltage and (depending on its size), will pass all or most of the sinewave.

It is a bit like the heated arguments you can start if you even hint that Ohm's Law is very useful in examining the behaviour of diodes, capacitors and inductors. It all depends on the definitions.

This is yet another of "those PF threads" about what words to use, I'm afraid.

Come on chaps, if a raw, rectified AC waveform can be called "DC" then what is the "DC component" of that waveform?
The blanket use of the term DC for any unidirectional waveform is sloppy and misleading. In fact it is meaningless. Imagine that the raw output from a rectifier circuit (termed "DC") had just a few millivolts of negative excursion for a brief time during each cycle, would that suddenly make it "AC"?

If people have to misuse the term 'DC' then they must specify that it is 'Raw'. Scientific language surely attempts to be specific and to avoid confusion. Use the appropriate term at the appropriate time unless you have already specified your alternative use of the term.

It is an archaic term anyway. What does "direct current voltage" really mean anyway?

This is just a hangover from the 1920s when rotating machines produced either AC or DC and there was not much in between.

Now we can produce just about any kind of pulse that might be unidirectional or not, the old concept of "DC" is pretty meaningless unless we are still talking about mains power supplies.

hi samieee, i try to explain what i know.
in my guess i find two answers.
1.(i) in basically capacitor have a structure of two separated plates are placed in some minimum distance. so its a basically open circuit.
(ii) we well know dc supply does n't pass through the open circuit. ( ac may connect two separated point. due to magnetic induction)
2.(i) current flow was performed by movement of electron in both conductor and semiconductor.if dc was supply was given to the open circuit electrons are settled in anyone corner(unidirectional) of the open loop. so there is no possible way to electron movement.
(ii) if ac supply was given to the conductor(/ semiconductor) electrons are not settled in any corner, electron moves only front and back manner. so induced voltage was continually flow in conductor...!

thanQ

samieee,

Capacitors are widely used in electronic circuits to block the flow of direct current while allowing alternating current to pass,how it does the job?

Why are you distinguishing between direct current and alternating current? A good capacitor blocks any and all charge flow from passing through the insulating dielectric. Charge can accumulate on one plate and deplete on the opposite plate, but that is only transitory. One direction of the alternating current can exist during this transitory period, but the charge flow never passes through the capacitor. When the AC changes direction, the same thing happens.

well that good but suppose you connect a dc battery,a bulb and a capacitor in a circuit..this time dc current is flowing through the circuit isn't it?(when capacitor become charged if we disconnect the battery then capacitor itself will lighten the bulb

The current is existing in the circuit, but it is not passing through the capacitor. The charge is accumulating and depleting on the capacitor plates, and the capacitor is becoming energized. When the battery is removed, the energized capacitor has a voltage, which can be used to light the bulb until the charge between the place becomes equalized, thereby de-energizing the capacitor.

Ratch

Capacitors of course allow DC current to pass through. Only if you impose zero voltage change condition, then the stored charge has to be removed by current of opposite polarity. In reality, you could charge a cap with 1 Amper for an hour and then discharge it with 1 Amper for an hour. Theoretically, the current profile has zero DC component.

SunnyBoyNY,

Capacitors of course allow DC current to pass through.

I am going to enjoy seeing you prove that!

Only if you impose zero voltage change condition, then the stored charge has to be removed by current of opposite polarity.

How can there be a charge imbalance between the two plates if current is allowed to pass through the dielectric insulator? How can anyone impose a "zero voltage change" when there is a charge imbalance between the two plates?

A capacitor is never "charged". The excess of charge on one plate is balanced by a depletion of charge on the opposite plate for a net charge change of zero. This imbalance of charge causes a voltage to appear across the plates, and causes an electrostatic field to form. This electrostatic field contains energy, thereby causing the capacitor to be energized. So a capacitor energized to 100 volts has the same net charge as a capacitor with zero volts across it.

In reality, you could charge a cap with 1 Amper for an hour and then discharge it with 1 Amper for an hour.

What is an "Amper", and why is it capitalized? Have you figured out how many coulombs one "Amper" for one hour represents and what voltage you would need to imbalance a capacitor by that many coulombs? Hint: voltage = coulombs/farads.

Theoretically, the current profile has zero DC component.

What do you mean by that statement?

Ratch

Ok, here we go:

DC Power supply in current mode provides DC current regardless of output voltage. Connect a cap across the power supply. Will it charge? Can you pass DC current through the device? Of course you can.

What don't you understand about 1 Amper current? It's a DC current with magnitude of 1 Amper.

Btw. you don't have to lecture me about electronics. I work with capacitors every single day (power electronics engineer) and just this morning I charged a cap bank with 100 A for about ten minutes. That is well in excess of 1 A of 3600 s. Ouch ooo... Yes, I was talking about ultracapacitors. Still caps.

Zero DC component: net zero current over the whole charge/discharge period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform)

Sure, electrons in current with DC frequency cannot move through the cap directly. Instead they are stored on one electrode while the other electrode supplies those electrons. However, from the circuit perspective the cap can conduct DC current. Voltage charge/discharge is the "side effect" for some.

Last edited:
Ratch said:
A capacitor is never "charged".
Ratch

Yep, and there is no voltage across no capacitor since capacitors cannot be charged. Just do not touch the two terminals at the same time.

You are talking semantics here. I have never heard "energized capacitor", it's "charged capacitor".

SunnyBoyNY,

DC Power supply in current mode provides DC current regardless of output voltage

Only up to its upper voltage limit. When that limit is reached, it no longer acts as a current source.

Connect a cap across the power supply. Will it charge?

No, the capacitor will energize. It will contain electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It will have the same net charge as it did when the voltage was zero.

Can you pass DC current through the device? Of course you can.

Of course you can't. If you could you would have a leaky capacitor which should be discarded. The dielectric insulator is just that, an insulator. You are beguiled into thinking that current exists through a capacitor, because a charge flows onto one plate and flows away from the opposite plate. But never does any charge pass through the capacitor.

What don't you understand about 1 Amper current? It's a DC current with magnitude of 1 Amper.

I think you mean amperes with no capitalization. Yes, amperes or amps are one coulomb of moving charge per second. AC or DC, it makes no difference.

Btw. you don't have to lecture me about electronics. I work with capacitors every single day (power electronics engineer) and just this morning I charged a cap bank with 100 A for about ten minutes. That is well in excess of 1 A of 3600 s. Ouch ooo... Yes, I was talking about ultracapacitors. Still caps

Yes, 60,000 coulombs is far more than 3,600 coulombs. You energized those capacitors. They still had the same net charge afterwards as they did at the beginning, specifically zero coulombs.

Zero DC component: net zero current over the whole charge/discharge period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform)

Do you mean average current? What has the Fourier transform got to do with it? It probably does not matter anyway.

Sure, electrons in current with DC frequency cannot move through the cap directly. Instead they are stored on one electrode while the other electrode supplies those electrons. However, from the circuit perspective the cap can conduct DC current. Voltage charge/discharge is the "side effect" for some.

They don't pass through the capacitor with AC, either. If you knew that a capacitor was an energy storage element, then why did you say "Capacitors of course allow DC current to pass through."? A capacitor being able to store a charge imbalance is not the same as acting like a resistor. If it did conduct current, then it would be a wire. A voltage is always present when the capacitor charge is imbalanced.

Yep, and there is no voltage across no capacitor since capacitors cannot be charged. Just do not touch the two terminals at the same time.

They cannot have a net charge other than zero, but they can be energized by applying a voltage across them.

You are talking semantics here. I have never heard "energized capacitor", it's "charged capacitor".

I am talking about real happenings. Capacitors are never charged with coulombs, they are charged with energy, in which case you might as well say energized.

Ratch

Ratch,

1) You should take it easy, please. When I say that DC power supply behaves as a current source, you retort that only up to a certain limit. I know that (not to mention that I have built a number of 10kW+ power supplies from the scratch).

2) Cap is energized, charged, that's the same thing. The argument is just repeated over and over. Do that at your work -- correct people like that. You will get laughed at hard (do not mean it badly).

3) Of course, no real DC or AC current flows through the cap. That's the physics behind the insulator/separator. But from the circuit perspective you can pass DC current through a cap while charging it; electrons are stored on one side and leave on the other. Thus, from the circuit perspective, you have current flow. While I understand your point, AC and DC currents can be passed through a capacitor from engineering perspective. In other words, cap is a mere black box. Current flows in, current flows out. Again, it's just semantics.

4) Amper or amper, the main point has gotten across. Anyway, I have learned something new.

5) Charged caps have non-zero charge -- Q = V * C. 1 F, 1 V, 1 C. We are talking ideal capacitors here. Real-capacitors can be modeled as a ladder network of caps, series/parallel resistors, and a series inductor. I am considering all parasitic components to be zero.

6) ...

7) ...

8) ...

Ok, Mr. Ratch, I do not wish to fight no more. Each of us is right. I will play with capacitors and charge them with DC current and claim that they are charged and have fun otherwise while you can be correcting other people and play smart.

Last edited:
Why don't you guys just look at the formula for the reactance of a capacitor?

Xc = 1/jωC

If ω is zero, then X is infinite, whatever value of C you use. That formula is easy to derive and the derivation can be found all over the Net.
What is there to argue about if you acknowledge that 'DC' means ω=0?

Last edited:
sophiecentaur,

Xc = 1/jωC

I think I can also speak for SunnyBoyNY when I aver that we both are cognizant of that relationship.

If ω is zero, then X is infinite, whatever value of C you use. That formula is easy to derive and the derivation can be found all over the Net.

We argued about several things, but that was not one of them.

Ratch

Xc = -j/(wC)

Xc = reactance offered by Capacitor & w = 2*pi*f
since f=0 , for dc . Xc = infinite

Ratch said:
We argued about several things, but that was not one of them.

Ratch

"We", presumably refers to all contributors to the thread. Have you read the thread right through?

The wonderful thing about Maths in Physics is that it gets to the nub of things. Once you formulate a good model (and the behaviour of simple electronic components is very well suited to a very simple model), then more arm waving descriptions about 'what is really going on' etc. etc. do more harm than good. The established definitions of AC, DC, Capacity, Charge etc. cannot be argued with, validly. So what more is there to discuss, except one's own pet way of looking at things. This may or may not be a valid view. Can it be relied upon to help someone else?

sophiecentaur said:

Xc = 1/jωC

I have a doubt regarding this equation; when a capacitor starts charging, it allows the current to pass . current keeps on decreasing till the capacitor is not charged. now this time (time within which capacitor charges is called transient period) ; time after transient period is called steady state period; since capacitor is charged , no current flows through it.

so, may be we can apply Xc formula only when the steady state starts. Tell me whether I am right or wrong.

swayam007 said:
so, may be we can apply Xc formula only when the steady state starts. Tell me whether I am right or wrong.

You are right except for "when steady state starts". Steady state doesn't "start". It is gradually approached (exponentially). The situation of ω=0 is only truly valid after an infinite time (the 'period' of DC). However, in Engineering and even Physics, there is always a time, after which we can decide that we have DC - say 10s when the time constant is a few ms - and ω is near enough to zero.
When we use a term like DC, we can either accept its normal meaning or get bogged down with etymology and even philosophy.
If you have problems with the concept of reactance at extremely low frequencies then just go back a step and look at the Exponential description of what happens - but then you can't really use the term DC. "Unidirectional" is OK, though.
Many people have expressed problems on these forums about use of terms and how simple rules of classification are not sufficient. One has to get over this, I think, in order to get a deeper understanding. I blame Elementary Science Education by Non-Scientists (and TV) for a lot of this because we are led to believe that Science is all cut and dried and just down to definitions.

swayam007,

Xc = reactance offered by Capacitor & w = 2*pi*f
since f=0 , for dc . Xc = infinite

Yes, the reactance is infinite, but that is not the same as an open circuit.

I have a doubt regarding this equation; when a capacitor starts charging, it allows the current to pass .

No it doesn't. Charge never passes through the dielectric insulator. It accumulates on one side of the dielectric and depletes on the other side. That was thoroughly explained in previous posts on this thread. When charges accumulate, a voltage appears and the capacitor becomes energized.

current keeps on decreasing till the capacitor is not charged. now this time (time within which capacitor charges is called transient period) ;

A capacitor is never "charged". The same amount of charge on one side of the dielectric is balanced by an equal amount of charge removed from the other side of the dielectric. So a capacitor energized to 100 volts has the same net charge as is did at zero volts, specifically zero charge. One side of the dielectric has a abundance of charge, and the other plate has an equal depletion of charge. In this condition, the capacitor will have a charge imbalance, and a voltage will appear across it representing its stored energy. The voltage across the capacitor approaches its energizing voltage asymptotically, so you can define the end of the transient period wherever you want.

You are wrong. You don't care about the reactance of the capacitor when you are applying a DC voltage to it.

Ratch

Last edited:
Ratch said:
Yes, the reactance is infinite, but that is not the same as an open circuit.

. . . . . .

You are wrong. You don't care about the reactance of the capacitor when you are applying a DC voltage to it.

Ratch

So what would the reactance of an open circuit be?

If you don't care about the reactance of a capacitor at DC, when do you care - at a frequency of 1Hz,0.1Hz, 1μHz? Could you spot the difference between DC and 1μHz if you only had a couple of seconds to decide?

If you were designing a High Pass Filter, would you not be interested in the response at DC?

sophiecentaur,

So what would the reactance of an open circuit be?

Infinite ohms.

If you don't care about the reactance of a capacitor at DC, when do you care - at a frequency of 1Hz,0.1Hz, 1μHz?

Whenever it becomes necessary to determine the reactance at some nonzero frequency.

Could you spot the difference between DC and 1μHz if you only had a couple of seconds to decide?

Probably not. Why is that of significance?

If you were designing a High Pass Filter, would you not be interested in the response at DC?

Probably not.

Ratch

Could we reach some sort of compromise?

1) No DC or AC current physically flows through a capacitor. The current seen at the terminals of such part is simply a charge being removed or added to the plates. The net charge on the plates is constant.

2) The complex impedance equation has been established to quantify frequency-dependent current magnitude and phase on the device terminals with respect to other circuit elements.

3) Perhaps we could all agree that a capacitor can certainly be energized, when the voltage across the dielectric insulator is non-zero. Whether the term is charged or energized is left to the discretion of debater.

4) As of the original question, capacitors block DC current in steady state. Steady-state is characterized as a time interval where all energy-storage elements carry the same energy in the beginning as in the end. In other words, once the transient state is finished, average capacitor voltage is constant. Since capacitor energy is dependent on its voltage, the total charge stored on the plates is constant at the two time intervals. Thus, DC component of current flowing through the capacitor ought to be zero.

5) In reality, the steady-state is determined by the lowest-frequency eigenvalue in the system. Say the capacitor is charged and discharged in one second intervals; the period is two seconds. Capacitor voltage stays the same, which suggests zero DC component of the current. Non-steady state situation such as initial charge simply have infinite period.

sophiecentaur said:

I have to second Ratch, DC response of a HPF is of no consequence as long as the filter requirements are met.

Typical filter requirements are passband edge frequency, stopband edge frequency, maximum passband gain, minimum passband gain, maximum stopband gain, and phase requirements. The DC response is incorporated in the requirements.

SunnyboyNY,

Could we reach some sort of compromise?

Perhaps, on some things.

1) No DC or AC current physically flows through a capacitor. The current seen at the terminals of such part is simply a charge being removed or added to the plates. The net charge on the plates is constant.

I agree with the above. I will even say that current exists in the branch where the cap is located, even if the current does not pass through the cap.

2) The complex impedance equation has been established to quantify frequency-dependent current magnitude and phase on the device terminals with respect to other circuit elements.

I would say that the complex impedance term has been established to describe the orthoganality between the voltage and current responses of energy storage elements (caps and coils) and energy dissipative elements (resistors).

3) Perhaps we could all agree that a capacitor can certainly be energized, when the voltage across the dielectric insulator is non-zero. Whether the term is charged or energized is left to the discretion of debater.

After all, energized means "charged with energy", right?

4) As of the original question, capacitors block DC current in steady state. Steady-state is characterized as a time interval where all energy-storage elements carry the same energy in the beginning as in the end. In other words, once the transient state is finished, average capacitor voltage is constant. Since capacitor energy is dependent on its voltage, the total charge stored on the plates is constant at the two time intervals. Thus, DC component of current flowing through the capacitor ought to be zero.

If you are only referring to DC, then energy levels need not be considered to define steady state. I would say that steady state occurs when time is relatively long and no change occurs in the cap voltage. I would change your statement to say the the current in the capacitor branch becomes zero. The current through the cap was always zero

5) In reality, the steady-state is determined by the lowest-frequency eigenvalue in the system. Say the capacitor is charged and discharged in one second intervals; the period is two seconds. Capacitor voltage stays the same, which suggests zero DC component of the current. Non-steady state situation such as initial charge simply have infinite period.

I am going to stick with a long period of time as defining steady state. We can define the cap's DC component by its average voltage value. By capacitor voltage staying the same, I hope you mean the voltage at the beginning and end of the period as being zero. Since the voltage is a positive pulse for a 2 second period, there will be a positive DC component. I don't understand what you mean by initial voltage having a infinite period.

Ratch

Umm. I'm not sure what current flowing "physically" means. Let's ignore the electrons bit because that just clouds the issue. A current flows in one end and out of the other end of a resistor or a capacitor. Kirchoff's laws work perfectly well in most circuits. How are the two cases different? Is it really worth labouring the point that 'charging a capacitor' is not the same thing as 'charging' a comb by rubbing it? Capacitors and batteries are what we discuss in circuit theory - not isolated / insulated objects.

I think we agree that 'yer actual DC' does not exist, because that would involve infinite time for it to be established. So, if DC is a pragmatic term for 'constant value for long enough', then the reactance (let's just call it Impedance, in fact) to DC is just as meaningful as at any frequency of AC. At our newly defined version of DC frequency (<0.0001Hz, say), the impedance is (to all intents and purposes) infinite.

But I still don't see why you guys don't want to use Maths (or at least refer to it) to describe what goes on. The exponential charge / discharge of a CR network describes exactly what goes on and that can be re-stated in terms of frequencies and Impedance. The results of experiment agree so well with that simple theory and it isn't difficult to approach the 'ideal case' in practice. That's why we can design filters and other circuits to work in such a predictable way.

Discussing "what's really happening" is not really getting one any closer to an understanding unless you really want to get into QM and how materials behave.

<h2>1. What is a capacitor?</h2><p>A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.</p><h2>2. How does a capacitor block DC current?</h2><p>A capacitor blocks DC current by acting as an open circuit, meaning it does not allow the flow of DC current through it. This is because the dielectric material prevents the flow of electrons between the two plates, effectively blocking the current.</p><h2>3. Can a capacitor block AC current as well?</h2><p>Yes, a capacitor can also block AC current. However, the behavior of a capacitor in an AC circuit is more complex as it alternately charges and discharges, allowing some current to pass through.</p><h2>4. What factors affect a capacitor's ability to block DC current?</h2><p>The main factors that affect a capacitor's ability to block DC current are the capacitance, dielectric constant, and breakdown voltage. A higher capacitance and dielectric constant result in a stronger blocking effect, while a higher breakdown voltage allows the capacitor to withstand higher voltages without breaking down.</p><h2>5. Are there any practical applications for using a capacitor to block DC current?</h2><p>Yes, capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to block DC current and allow only AC signals to pass through. This is useful in applications such as audio amplifiers, where DC current can cause distortion in the sound. Capacitors are also used in power supply circuits to filter out any unwanted DC current.</p>

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor block DC current?

A capacitor blocks DC current by acting as an open circuit, meaning it does not allow the flow of DC current through it. This is because the dielectric material prevents the flow of electrons between the two plates, effectively blocking the current.

3. Can a capacitor block AC current as well?

Yes, a capacitor can also block AC current. However, the behavior of a capacitor in an AC circuit is more complex as it alternately charges and discharges, allowing some current to pass through.

4. What factors affect a capacitor's ability to block DC current?

The main factors that affect a capacitor's ability to block DC current are the capacitance, dielectric constant, and breakdown voltage. A higher capacitance and dielectric constant result in a stronger blocking effect, while a higher breakdown voltage allows the capacitor to withstand higher voltages without breaking down.

5. Are there any practical applications for using a capacitor to block DC current?

Yes, capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to block DC current and allow only AC signals to pass through. This is useful in applications such as audio amplifiers, where DC current can cause distortion in the sound. Capacitors are also used in power supply circuits to filter out any unwanted DC current.