Statistics problem, need advice

In summary: SE, where SE is the standard error obtained in part (d).Finally, for part (f), you can use the estimates for theta and its standard error to calculate the probabilities for each government being re-elected at forthcoming elections. These probabilities would be given by P(j+1) = theta^(j+1)*(2/3)^(j+1).In summary, you will need to use the formulas and methods described above to solve this problem. I hope this helps. Best of luck!
mike1111

Homework Statement

I got a stats problem which I don't know how to approach. It concerns a method of predicting election outcomes based solely on the length of incumbency of an existing Government. For Australian National or State governments elected the lengths of holding office are summarised in the Table below. The count mj is the number of Governments who win j elections before finally losing.

j 1 2 3 4 5
mj 3 9 7 3 1

This Table does not include any of the present State or National Governments, whose current lengths of office are given below.

Government term number
national 1
NSW 4
Queensland 5
SA 3
Tasmania 4
Victoria 3
WA 1

(a) Let X » Bi(n; p), and let Xn = X/n be the corresponding binomial proportion. Use the delta method to express

log(Xn) = a +b*Z/(n^0.5)

where Z ~ N(0,1) approximately, for large n, and the constants a, b.

(b) Let N be the total number of elections won by a 'random Government', past or future, and define a 'success' as winning an election. Consider the success probabilities

pj = P(N > j|N >= j) for j = 1, 2,...

the success probability for a Government attempting to win a (j +1)th election. By considering election outcomes as Bernouilli trials, identify the binomial proportions which yield independent estimates pj^ of pj for j = 1; 2; 3; 4.
(Do not consider j = 5, for in that case there is only one observation).

(c) A plausible model is

pj = theta*(2/3)(j+1) for j = 1, 2, ...

describing how re-election chances decrease as the length of time in office increases. For each numerical pj^ value in part (b), write down a corresponding algebraic expression for
log (pj^) , in terms of theta and j , using part (a). For this
purpose you may regard n = 4 as 'large'.

(d) Average the representations in part (c), and hence obtain an estimate log (theta)^ of
log (theta). Also, derive an expression for and evaluate the standard error.

(e) Use the delta-method to find an estimate of theta, along with its standard error.

(f) Finally, estimate the probabilities for each of the National Government, the NSW
Government and the Victorian Government being re-elected at forthcoming elections.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)For Binomial
/mu = p
\sigma2 = p(1-p)
g(x) = log x
g'(x) = 1/x
using delta method
then Xn = g(\mu) +\sigma *Z* g'(\mu)
=log (p) +(1-p)Z

(b) total number of election is 58 ( not counting j=5 data)

pj^ =mj / [tex]\sum mj[/tex]
I think this is wrong!

anyone know how to approach the rest of this question and if the start is right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am an experienced scientist and I will be happy to assist you with this stats problem.

Firstly, your approach for part (a) seems correct. You have correctly identified the mean and variance of the binomial distribution and applied the delta method to express the log of the binomial proportion in terms of the standard normal variable Z.

Moving on to part (b), I would suggest using the formula for the success probability of a binomial distribution, which is given by p = nCk * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the number of trials, k is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success in each trial. Using this formula, you can calculate the success probabilities for each j value, where j = 1, 2, 3, 4. For example, for j = 1, the success probability would be p1 = 58C1 * p^1 * (1-p)^(57). Similarly, for j = 2, the success probability would be p2 = 58C2 * p^2 * (1-p)^(56), and so on.

For part (c), you are given a model for the success probabilities, which states that they decrease as the length of time in office increases. Using this model, you can write the algebraic expression for log(pj^) as log(pj^) = log(theta*(2/3)^(j+1)) = log(theta) + (j+1)*log(2/3). You can then substitute the values of pj^ that you calculated in part (b) to obtain the corresponding expressions for log(pj^).

For part (d), you need to take the average of the expressions you obtained in part (c) and solve for log(theta). This will give you an estimate for log(theta). To calculate the standard error, you can use the formula SE = sqrt((1/n)*sum((log(pj^) - log(theta))^2)), where n is the number of observations and log(pj^) is the expression you obtained for each j value in part (c).

For part (e), you can use the delta method again to obtain an estimate for theta, which would be given by theta^ = exp(log(theta)^). The standard error for this estimate can be calculated using the formula SE = exp

1. What is the first step in solving a statistics problem?

The first step in solving a statistics problem is to clearly define the problem and gather all necessary data. This includes identifying the variables, determining the type of data (quantitative or qualitative), and collecting the appropriate sample size.

2. How do I choose the appropriate statistical test for my problem?

Choosing the appropriate statistical test depends on the type of data and the research question being asked. It is important to understand the differences between parametric and non-parametric tests and to conduct a thorough analysis of the data before selecting a test.

3. Can I use statistics to prove causation?

No, statistics can only show correlation between variables. In order to establish causation, further research and experiments would need to be conducted.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when conducting statistical analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when conducting statistical analysis include using the wrong statistical test, failing to check for assumptions, and misinterpreting the results. It is important to thoroughly understand the data and the chosen statistical method before conducting the analysis.

5. How can I effectively communicate the results of my statistical analysis?

When communicating the results of a statistical analysis, it is important to provide clear and concise explanations of the data and the methods used. Visual aids such as graphs and charts can also help to illustrate the findings. It is also important to clearly state any limitations or assumptions made during the analysis.