Breaking Sound Barrier: Investigating Condensated Flow

In summary: I think the Prandtl-Glauert singularity is when the pressure becomes so high that it starts to distort the flow. Which is why the shocks are so big.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is my second post after that of "Shuttle Main Engines" in which I use again the question: what is happening here?

First of all, open the .jpg file below.

It shows a F-4 Phantom breaking the sound of barrier. I'm interested on what happens in the condensated flow. First of all, why is it condensated?. I know the flow shown is a transonic flow. So that, the shock wave is almost being formed in the zone in which Ma=1. In fact, it seems to be two shock waves being formed.

Behind the shock, the Pressure and Temperature raise a lot. But I have not found reasons for why this rising could provoke a condensation of the air in water vapor. On the other hand, do you think the borders of the condensed flow are the shocks waves themselves?. Are there any reason for thinking so?

Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• phantom.jpg
    phantom.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure about this statement:

Clausius2 said:
...Behind the shock, the Pressure and Temperature raise a lot. But I have not found reasons for why this rising could provoke a condensation of the air in water vapor...

Wouldn't pressure and temp rise sharply just ahead of the shockwave, where energy is being put into the air more rapidly than it can be dispersed (by soundwaves)? If so, then temp and pressure drop sharply behind the shockwave, causing moisture in the air to condense.

LURCH said:
Not sure about this statement:

Wouldn't pressure and temp rise sharply just ahead of the shockwave, where energy is being put into the air more rapidly than it can be dispersed (by soundwaves)? If so, then temp and pressure drop sharply behind the shockwave, causing moisture in the air to condense.

I don't think so, Lurch. See http://tigger.uic.edu/~kenbrez/html/shock_wave.html ;

<quote:The gases behind a shock wave are at a much higher temperature, pressure and density than the gases in front of the shock wave>

This is a direct consequence of the 2nd principle of Thermodynamics. Saying P and T has to be higher behind is the same thing that saying entropy has to be increased through the shock.

Surely the pressure is disproportionatly higher than the temperature.
Also, the aircraft is close to the ground and there could be lots of
dust in the air which would help condensation of
water vapour.

GENIERE said:
IMO the condensate occurs because the pressure is below the partial pressure of water vapor in the surrounding air.

Check this site for neat pictures.
http://chamorrobible.org/gpw/gpw-20040817.htm

And this site for info.

http://www.galleryoffluidmechanics.com/conden/pg_sing.htm

Thanks. I'm quoting it from your last link:

"Near Mach 1, the Prandtl-Glauert singularity has amplified all pressure perturbations. As a result, the regions of expansion ( low pressure ) above the wings and cockpit correspond to much lower pressures than we would expect in an incompressible flow. As in other condensation problems, the lowered bulk pressure results in a lowering of the temperature causing condensation of the ambient water vapor. "

May someone elaborate a bit more this?. I've never heard about that. Has anybody some idea about what is it meaning?

1. What is the sound barrier and why is it important to study?

The sound barrier, also known as the sonic barrier, is the point at which an object moves faster than the speed of sound. It is important to study because it can have significant effects on aircraft and other objects that move at high speeds, such as causing sonic booms and increased drag.

2. How does condensated flow play a role in breaking the sound barrier?

Condensated flow, also known as shock wave or compression wave, is a type of flow that occurs when an object moves faster than the speed of sound. This flow creates a shock wave that can cause the sound barrier to be broken.

3. What are some methods used to investigate condensated flow and breaking the sound barrier?

Scientists use various methods to investigate condensated flow and breaking the sound barrier, such as wind tunnel testing, computational fluid dynamics simulations, and flight tests. They also use high-speed cameras and sensors to capture and analyze the behavior of shock waves.

4. What are some potential applications of understanding and studying the sound barrier?

Understanding and studying the sound barrier can have various applications, such as improving aircraft design and performance, developing supersonic and hypersonic vehicles, and enhancing the efficiency and safety of high-speed transportation technologies.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in studying and breaking the sound barrier?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations in studying and breaking the sound barrier. These include technical and engineering difficulties, high costs, and potential negative impacts on the environment and human health, such as noise pollution and sonic booms.