Understanding Heat: Is it Just Kinetic Energy or Also Electromagnetic Radiation?

• Thread starter Gerinski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, heat can be understood as both kinetic energy of vibrating molecules and a form of electromagnetic radiation, particularly in the infrared spectrum. It is a transfer of energy between two systems with different temperatures and can occur through various mechanisms such as conduction, convection, and radiation. While IR radiation is typically involved in the transfer of heat, it is possible for heat to be exchanged without the emission of photons.
Gerinski
I am familiar with the usual concept that heat is kinetic energy (the vibration of matter particles) but I also read that heat is one of the faces of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light, radiowaves or x rays.

Is it correct?
Is it actually both? (e.g. EM radiation just a side effect of the kinetical movement ? and probably able to cause kinetical movement again on the matter absorbing it?) if really EM radiation, in which length of the spectrum?

Science news on Phys.org
Infrared is the EM radiation associated with "heat". This is includes wavelengths from around 10-2m to 10-6m.

I will speculate that molecular collisions with energy of this wavelength induces translational vibrations as much as it does electronic level changes.

Integral said:
Infrared is the EM radiation associated with "heat".

Thanks Integral.
Do I get some strange feeling by the fact that you wrote "heat" between quotes ? :-)
As you can guess from my original question, it was about understanding clearly what heat is.
The fact that you write "heat" between quotes makes me feel that even for you there's something not so clearly defined about what is meant by "heat" ?

Heat is the energy that flows between two systems (as a result of temperature differences).

As Integral explained, when molecules vibrate [which they always do] they emit infrared radiation [IR]. If you rapidly drag your finger across a smooth board, the molecules of your finger collide with molecules of the board imparting kinetic energy to the molecules of both surfaces. This causes them to vibrate more rapidly and emit higher frequency IR [and your finger feels hot]. If you took a picture using IR film, the hot spot on your finger would look bright and you would see a bright streak on the surface where your finger crossed it [although not as bright as your finger].

Chronos said:
As Integral explained, when molecules vibrate [which they always do] they emit infrared radiation [IR]. If you rapidly drag your finger across a smooth board, the molecules of your finger collide with molecules of the board imparting kinetic energy to the molecules of both surfaces. This causes them to vibrate more rapidly and emit higher frequency IR [and your finger feels hot]. If you took a picture using IR film, the hot spot on your finger would look bright and you would see a bright streak on the surface where your finger crossed it [although not as bright as your finger].

Are you saying that ALL molecules at ALL temperatures emit IR, or is this just a generalisation? I've often wondered...

"heat" is in quotation, perhaps because what we typically call heat is when our own temperature nerves are stimulated up to our brain.

Heat transfer theory will say that heat flows three ways : conduction, convection and radiation. If it is strictly radiation, there is now doubt that we speak of IR radiation. (other radiations can indirectly cause heat by causing IR.)

Inside matter (a metal or plastic), "heat" is a combination of IR radiation, vibrating molecules, and/or flowing electrons. Generally speaking, you might define heat as a flow of energy within the IR-range of oscillations (whether it is particle kinetic energy or radiation). IR radiation is always in the picture, but energetic particle cannot be ignored.

I quoted heat because it is easily misused and wanted to make clear that I was using the term loosely and not in the formal sense. Thus I was referring to that sensation we have in the palms of our hands when we hold them in front of the fire. Notice that in the formally correct definition given by Sirus there is no mention of wavelength, so heat is more general then infrared radiation. Infrared is the band of radiation which produces a sense of warmth to our nervous system. The heat would be the energy which is transferred from the source to our hands.

Heat will flow when any 2 systems in thermal contact are at different temperatures. It is not necessarily infrared in nature.

Adrian Baker said:
Are you saying that ALL molecules at ALL temperatures emit IR, or is this just a generalisation? I've often wondered...
Yes. I may, however, be mistaken and need a refresher course. I would, however, pose this question Can heat [energy] be exchanged between molecules without photons being emitted? If this is true, the black body spectrum of a mass must not be reliable indicator of its temperature.

Integral said:
Heat will flow when any 2 systems in thermal contact are at different temperatures. It is not necessarily infrared in nature.

It is possible to talk about heat (and even create an entire heat conduction theory) without referring to IR radiation, but at the atomic level, I have not been able to think of a case where no IR would be involved in the last 5 minutes.

Gonzolo said:
It is possible to talk about heat (and even create an entire heat conduction theory) without referring to IR radiation, but at the atomic level, I have not been able to think of a case where no IR would be involved in the last 5 minutes.
Even in a system of only heat conduction?

How about a very low temperature system where the total system energy is comparable to the energy of infrared,... is this even possible?

Having completed refresher training, Integral is correct. Heat conduction is achieved without any photon exchanges, it is a kinetic transfer of energy through molecular collisions. IR is still emitted, but, that is not the heat transfer mechanism for conduction.

If a system is so cold as to not radiate IR at all... well the cosmic background is I believe microwaves, and this is associated to 2-3 K. Yah, I guess, but that's pretty cold. Perhaps people use radio and microwave to "heat up" superfluids in small increments. Do they call it "heat" though?

I'll agree with Chronos, and thank him for confirming that IR is at least emitted. (if temperature is sufficiently high I suppose, i.e. above a few Kelvins)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is heat and how is it related to kinetic energy and electromagnetic radiation?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It can be in the form of kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, or electromagnetic radiation, which is the energy of electromagnetic waves.

2. Why is it important to understand the concept of heat?

Understanding heat is crucial in many scientific fields, including thermodynamics, meteorology, and materials science. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems, and how it affects the behavior of matter.

3. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. Can heat exist without any form of matter?

Yes, heat can exist without any form of matter. In fact, heat can be transferred through empty space by electromagnetic radiation, such as sunlight or heat from a fire. This is known as radiation heat transfer.

5. How is the temperature of an object related to the amount of heat it contains?

The temperature of an object is directly proportional to the amount of heat it contains. This means that as the amount of heat increases, the temperature of the object also increases. However, the specific heat capacity of the object, which is the amount of heat needed to raise its temperature by a certain amount, can affect this relationship.