Problem with energy conservation

In summary, the question is asking for the power that the engine must provide to maintain a constant speed of 2.5m/s for 80 skiers with a total mass of 6000kg climbing a skiway of 600m at an angle of 15º. Using the equation P=m*g*v*(sin(θ)+μk*cos(θ)), the power is calculated to be 46.61KW. Some suggest using potential energy concepts to solve the problem, but the answer of 350KW given may be incorrect.
diegojco
Suppose you have a teleski to climb a skiway of d=600m and θ=15º respect horizontal and μk=0.06 is kinetic friction coefficient in the cable. 80 skiers of 75kg (m=6000kg in total) each one wants to climb at the top at v=2.5m/s constant, What's the power that engine must provide in order to maintain this speed with that charge of skiers? Answer: 350KW

I have used: Wexternal forces=ΔEmechanic+ΔEthermic+ΔEchemical=0, where ΔEmechanic=(m*(vf)2/2)+m*g*(hf)-(m*(vo)2/2)-m*g*(ho)=m*g*(hf), since vf=vo y ho=0, and ΔEthermic=fk*d=μk*m*g*d*cos(θ), and ΔEchemical is engine's energy to get the power, then:

P=-dEchemical/dt

and -dEchemical/dt=dEmechanic/dt+dEthermic/dt, hence:

P=m*g*v*(sin(θ)+μk*cos(θ))

P=46.61KW

This is not the answer, why?, please guide me and tell me what's the mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting something around 41kW as well. Keep in mind that the frictional force is directed against the motion of the gondola (teleski) up the cable, meaning the value of theta when multiplying by cos(theta) for friction is 0. The answer may be wrong; I don't know how they got an answer nine times larger than mine...

I'm getting 46 kW too. The answer of 350 kW must be wrong.

diego, as far as method goes, I'm not sure what you did (probably ok since your answer looks right), but I usually approach this kind of problem using potential energy concepts. I set the time as one second, then find the vertical distance traveled given the speed provided, plug that into find the change in gravitational potential energy, and can therefore find power (you get J/s, which is Watts). Factor in non-conservative forces and angles when required. Just my method.

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in various activities such as transportation, household, and industrial processes. It involves making conscious choices to use energy more efficiently and reducing waste.

Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps in reducing our carbon footprint and mitigating the effects of climate change. Secondly, it helps in preserving natural resources such as fossil fuels, which are limited and non-renewable. Lastly, it can lead to cost savings for individuals, businesses, and governments.

What are some ways to conserve energy?

There are many ways to conserve energy, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, reducing water consumption, using public transportation or carpooling, and insulating homes and buildings to reduce heating and cooling needs.

What are some challenges with energy conservation?

One of the main challenges with energy conservation is changing human behavior and habits. It can be difficult to get people to adopt energy-saving practices, especially if they require significant lifestyle changes. Additionally, there may be upfront costs associated with implementing energy-saving measures, which can be a barrier for some individuals or businesses.

How can individuals make a difference in energy conservation?

Individuals can make a significant impact on energy conservation by making small changes in their daily habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and reducing water consumption. They can also advocate for energy conservation policies and support renewable energy sources.