Tension Magnitude Calculation for 4.02 m/s Speed & 0.291 kg Mass

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a ball attached to a string moving in a circular path. The goal is to find the magnitude of tension in the string when the ball is at the top of its path. The formula for centripetal acceleration and Newton's 2nd law are discussed, and it is determined that the downward forces acting on the ball are gravity and the centripetal acceleration. The person asking for help is an English major struggling with the physics concept and is seeking clarification on how to calculate the tension in the string.
RumDragon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, I just need help with a problem that is giving me trouble. I have scoured my physics book and can't find the solution or even a starting point.
First we have a drawing of a circle with mg and ft1 with two arrows pointing down at the top of the circle and at the bottom of the circle it has mg and ft2 with the ft2 arrow pointing up and the mg arrow pointing down. The question is: If its speed is 4.02 m/s and its mass is 0.291 kg, calculate the magnitude of the tension in the string when the ball is at the top of its path. If anyone could help me by just telling me how to figure out the magnitude of tension I'd be forever greatful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
The sum of forces must provide the centripetal acceleration of the ball..
Don't double post, BTW.

Sorry about the repeat. Hmm, I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around your answer (I'm a rather science-stupid English major) so is there a general formula or something for determining magnitude of tension or what? Thanks.

Answer the following:
1) What is the expression for centripetal acceleration?
2) Formulate Newton's 2.law of motion at the moment when the ball is on top.
Which forces act on it, and what are their directions?

Ok I know that centripetal acceleration can be written as a=v^2/r (i believe) and Newton's 2nd law states that torque= moment of intertia * angular acceleration. That being said it also states the radius is 95.0 cm. So the centripetal acceleration would be around .17 So the forces acting on the ball attached to the string at the top would be gravity and Ft1, both downward. So would the force be the centripetal acceleration times the mass?

This is due tonight and I can't finish it.

Whatever has torques to do with Newton's 2.law?
(Torques appear in the moment-of momentum equations, which can be deduced from Newton's 2.law)
You are right about the expression for the centripetal accelerations.
Now write down which forces act upon the ball when it is at the top; the centripetal acceleration are then downwards, WHAT ARE THE DOWNWARDS FORCES ACTING ON THE BALL THEN?

The downward forces would be gravity and the centripetal acceleration would they not?

What is tension magnitude?

Tension magnitude is the amount of force that is being applied to an object through a tension force. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is typically represented by the symbol "T".

How is tension magnitude calculated?

Tension magnitude can be calculated using the formula T = ma, where "m" is the mass of the object in kilograms (kg) and "a" is the acceleration of the object in meters per second squared (m/s^2). In this case, the given values of 4.02 m/s for speed and 0.291 kg for mass can be plugged into the formula to find the tension magnitude.

Why is tension magnitude important to calculate?

Tension magnitude is important to calculate because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it allows us to determine the strength and stability of structures and systems.

What are the units of tension magnitude?

The units of tension magnitude are Newtons (N), which is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) for measuring force.

Are there any other factors that can affect the tension magnitude calculation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the tension magnitude calculation, such as friction, air resistance, and the angle at which the tension force is applied. These factors may need to be taken into consideration for a more accurate calculation.