Bush's 'trifecta' - 9/11, war, recession

• News
  • Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary, Bush believes that he was chosen by God to be president, and that this combination of events--the recession, the war, and 9/11--is an endorsement of what he does. He is initially challenged by 9/11, but comes to see it as an opportunity to be a great president. If he loses the election, he may adopt a conspiracy theory or a view of the vote that blames others.
Tsu
Gold Member
An interesting editorial

Two speech transcripts there show Budget Director Mitch Daniels reporting that shortly after 9/11, while discussing the recession, the war, and 9/11, Bush turned to him and said, "Lucky me! I hit the trifecta."

A trifecta, of course, is racetrack jargon for the big payoff you get for picking three winners.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/103104L.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would not be too upset if he brought it up once, or even twice, knowing that he is not the brainiest or most sensitive of men, but repeating it so many times to different people in different circumstances just makes me speechless. Could he be thinking in his warped mind that this combination of events is God's indirect endorsement of what he does, could he? Anyway I am too shocked to conjure up anything more mean and nasty to say.

Here's my reading of that, worth what you paid for it. Bush not only believes he was chosen by God to be president, that belief is central to his personality. It is as if when he converted he made a deal, God would lead him from success to success in return for his faith. If he perceives evidence that God is not favoring him, he reacts to it as disasterous for his ego.

9/11 initially challenged that belief; why would God hit his favored one with such a disaster? It notoriously paralized Bush for several minutes as he went through cognitive dissonance in that schoolroom. But he was able to reconstuct 9/11 as an opportunity, given to him by God, to be not merely president, but a great president. And he acted on this belief with his strong assertive talk to the public. Hence the trifecta.

Now the results of his actions are in and his mental construction is beginning to fray again. If he loses the election, look for him to adopt a conspiracy theory, or stab-in-the-back view of the vote.

I think Bush was being flip, while emphasizing the fact that those three things were largely just his bad luck for happening when he was President.

Last edited:

1. What is the "trifecta" that is often associated with former President George W. Bush?

The "trifecta" refers to the three major events that occurred during Bush's presidency: the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the subsequent war on terror, and the economic recession of 2008.

2. Did Bush's policies directly lead to the events of 9/11?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that Bush's policies or actions directly led to the 9/11 attacks. The attacks were carried out by the terrorist group Al-Qaeda, and there were multiple factors that contributed to their ability to carry out the attacks.

3. How did the war on terror impact the United States?

The war on terror, which included the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, had a significant impact on the United States. It resulted in the loss of thousands of American lives, trillions of dollars spent, and strained relationships with other countries.

4. Was the 2008 recession solely caused by Bush's policies?

No, the 2008 recession was the result of a combination of factors, including the housing market crash, risky lending practices by banks, and a global economic downturn. While some of Bush's policies may have contributed to the recession, it is not accurate to solely blame him.

5. What is the legacy of Bush's "trifecta" on the United States?

The legacy of Bush's "trifecta" is complex and debated. Some argue that his actions helped keep the country safe from further terrorist attacks, while others criticize his handling of the wars and the economic impact of the recession. Ultimately, the effects of these events continue to shape the political and social landscape of the United States.