Pipe Schedules: Pressure, Thickness, & Units

In summary: Even if you are just copying what is in the code, it is better to err on the side of caution.In summary, the ASME B31.x codes have equations for material stress allowables, operating temperature, and other factors which must be taken into account when designing a pipe system. There is no correlation between pipe schedule and anything such as pressure or wall thickness.
mylovelyamber
Hi,

I am hoping that someone could enlighten me about pipe schedules.

I've searched online but there have been conflicting definitions for schedules, where some people refer to it as pressure and some referring to it as thickness.

I need a pipe to be able to withstand 70bar of pressure, which schedule should I use?

and what units are the schedules?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry to say, there is no correlation between pipe schedule and anything such as pressure or wall thickness. Looking at the history, it appears the pipe schedule wall thicknesses were simply selected on historical values and nothing more.
In March 1927, the American Standards Association authorized a committee to standardize the dimensions of wrought steel and wrought iron pipe and tubing. At that time only a small selection of wall thicknesses were in use: standard weight (STD), extra-strong (XS), and double extra-strong (XXS), based on the iron pipe size (IPS) system of the day. However these three sizes did not fit all applications. The committee surveyed the industry and created a system of schedule numbers that designated wall thicknesses based on smaller steps between sizes,[3] although IPS and NPS numbers remain equivalent.

The original intent was that each schedule would relate to a given pressure rating, however the numbers deviated so far from wall thicknesses in common use that this original intent could not be accomplished.
If you want to select a pipe for an application it requires using the applicable piping code. In the US, it will be one of the ASME B31.x piping codes. (ex: ASME B31.3 for Process Piping)

The codes have specific equations to use, generally more than 1. They also contain a section on materials which provides "stress allowables" for each type of material used. That stress allowable is a function not just of the chemistry and strength of the pipe but also on the operating temperature. In addition, things such as corrosion and externally applied stresses need to be taken into consideration.

Even if this is for a college project, if this is actually to be built you really should ensure your design meets the applicable piping codes for your country.

What is a pipe schedule?

A pipe schedule is a standardized system used to specify the wall thickness of different types of pipes. It is used to ensure that pipes have the appropriate strength and pressure rating for their intended use.

How does pipe schedule affect pressure and thickness?

The pipe schedule directly affects the pressure rating and thickness of a pipe. A higher pipe schedule indicates a thicker and stronger pipe, which can handle higher levels of pressure without bursting or leaking. Lower pipe schedules are used for pipes that do not need to withstand as much pressure.

What is the difference between pipe schedules and pipe sizes?

Pipe schedules and pipe sizes are two different ways of measuring pipes. Pipe schedules refer to the wall thickness of a pipe, while pipe sizes refer to the inner diameter of a pipe. Pipe sizes are typically given in inches or millimeters, while pipe schedules are designated by a number.

What are the common units for pipe schedules?

The most commonly used units for pipe schedules are inches and millimeters. Pipe schedules are typically given as numbers, such as Schedule 40 or Schedule 80, which correspond to specific wall thicknesses measured in inches or millimeters. However, some industries may use other units, such as gauge or pounds per square inch (psi).

How do I determine the appropriate pipe schedule for my application?

The appropriate pipe schedule for your application will depend on the required pressure rating and the type of material being transported through the pipe. It is important to consult with industry standards and guidelines, as well as consider the specific needs of your project, before selecting a pipe schedule.