B.S. in Physics, Needing Career Change

In summary: I think a lot of what you'll need is hands-on experience in a field, so I would recommend finding an internship and then working your way up.There are many different fields that are related to science, so you'll need to do your research to find the one that is the best fit for you.
chiefsci
I have a B.S. in Physics (from FSU, if it matters), and I've been teaching high school science for two and a half years. While it is rewarding to help students learn, this was not the career field I had in mind.

I would like to change careers to one that is more hands-on in a physics or science-related field, and that presents more of an intellectual challenge than teaching high school science.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on career fields (or job openings) that I could pursue? I would be happy living anywhere in the US or Canada, so location is not a problem.

My biggest challenge is that with a B.S., I seem to be underqualified for most of the science jobs that I see advertised.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you programming skills? A science related software job could be a good option. There may also be positions in industry for educational consultants. I have a friend with a degree in molecular biology who works for an it company. You could also look into actuarial science.

Would you consider a master's in engineering?

My programming skills could be better (65 solved so far on Project Euler), but I've got the basics down. I was working my way through a second B.S. in Computer Science when the price of tuition became higher than I could rationalize spending, since I already had a B.S. in Physics at the time. Programming is a field I have definitely considered, and I've begun reviewing Java for the certification exam that used to be called SCJA from Oracle. I've also looked into networking, and I've got the book to study for the CCENT exam from Cisco Systems.

I have considered the engineering field, too. My college GPA is a little too low to get into grad school (~2.85, if I recall correctly), but that can certainly be fixed in time, too.

I can definitely understand your desire for a more hands-on and intellectually challenging career in the field of physics or science. Teaching high school science is a noble profession, but it is understandable that it may not have been the career path you envisioned for yourself.

One suggestion I have is to consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics or a related field. This will not only provide you with more advanced knowledge and skills, but it will also make you more competitive for higher level positions in the science industry. Additionally, many graduate programs offer opportunities for hands-on research and internships, which can help you gain practical experience and make valuable connections in the field.

Another option is to look into entry-level positions in research and development at companies or government agencies. These positions often require a bachelor's degree and can provide you with the hands-on and intellectually stimulating work you are seeking. It may also be worth considering positions in science-related industries, such as technology or engineering, where your physics background can be applied.

Networking is also key in finding job opportunities in the science field. Attend conferences, join professional organizations, and reach out to alumni from your university to see if they know of any job openings or can offer advice on breaking into the industry.

Overall, while it may seem daunting at first, with persistence and determination, I have no doubt that you will be able to find a fulfilling career in the field of physics or science. Best of luck to you in your job search!

1. What career options are available with a B.S. in Physics?

A B.S. in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths for physics graduates include research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and technical writing. Physics majors also have the skills and knowledge to work in fields such as finance, healthcare, and technology.

2. Is it possible to switch to a different career with a B.S. in Physics?

Yes, a B.S. in Physics provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that can be applied to various industries. Many employers value the skills and knowledge that physics graduates possess, making it possible to switch to a different career path with additional training or education.

3. How can I utilize my B.S. in Physics in a non-scientific career?

A B.S. in Physics can be useful in non-scientific careers that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. For example, a physics graduate can use their knowledge of data analysis and modeling to work in fields such as finance, marketing, or consulting. Additionally, their ability to understand complex concepts and communicate effectively can make them valuable in roles such as project management or technical writing.

4. What skills do I need to develop for a successful career change with a B.S. in Physics?

In addition to technical skills in physics, a successful career change with a B.S. in Physics may require developing skills in areas such as communication, project management, and data analysis. It may also be beneficial to gain experience or additional education in the desired career field to make the transition smoother.

5. How can I market my B.S. in Physics to potential employers in a different field?

To market your B.S. in Physics to potential employers in a different field, focus on highlighting your transferable skills. Emphasize your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical abilities, as well as your proficiency in data analysis and modeling. You can also showcase any relevant experience or education in the desired field to demonstrate your interest and commitment to making a career change.