Is the EVP Movie Based on Real Phenomenon or Just a Hoax?

• Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: EVPs.In summary, the phenomenon of hearing voices in random static is similar to hearing messages when you play records backwards. However, if you listen again, this time following along with the "backwards lyrics", then it'll sound a lot more like words.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
You can go here for the factual basis of the phenomenon. Does anyone have any idea how credible any of this is? For that matter, are any of you willing to try the experiments they suggest for yourself?

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
Does anyone have any idea how credible any of this is?
These things get on the radio at Halloween. One of the proponents said the sounds (voices) seem to be recorded most often when people are leaving the room. Makes sense to me: that's when your pant legs rub together and make noise! If video was shot along-side these sound recordings, I think the sounds would correlate to a mundane cause.

They do that on the Coast to Coast show (Art Bell and George Norey). A very sceptical friend of mine and I have thought about trying ourselves but haven't gotten around to it. I ought to check out the site for what to use and so forth.

russ_watters said:
These things get on the radio at Halloween. One of the proponents said the sounds (voices) seem to be recorded most often when people are leaving the room. Makes sense to me: that's when your pant legs rub together and make noise! If video was shot along-side these sound recordings, I think the sounds would correlate to a mundane cause.

I believe that they often do video tape as well but probably don't release it since it's mainly them just talking at nothing and walking around. Usually not very exciting but they claim they have run into more physical type phenomena as well. Also they theorize that the EVPs are produced by the ghosts manipulating white noise so your idea wouldn't exactly refute their claim.

EVP is nonsense. It only 'works' when there is background noise, and the more the better. May as well go to the park, lay on a blanket and watch for images to form in the clouds.

Well...many EVPers do this with no microphone connected. The noise [also] comes in as EM, so I have always assumed that stray radio signals account for much of what we hear.

From the ones that I have heard there are those that sound like they could easily be just like finding the shape of an elephant in a cloud. Several of them though sound to me as though they couldn't just be chance pattern and would have to have been faked if not real. Hence my friend and I wanting to try it. Ivan's theory of radio signals is interesting. I wonder how likely that is.

White Noise-AAEVP

http://www.aaevp.com

Looks like a classic scary movie, thought I might as well post it up for debunking that way people who get too confused with it might find a good skeptical explanation or scientific explanation here.

Note: jammieg's post was merged with this thread.

Being a capitalist, I make it a point to not see movies I'm sure I'll dislike, but I may need to rent this one. I've got The Core coming via Netflix...

Hearing voices in random static is similar to hearing messages when you play records backwards...try visiting this page and listening to different songs backwards without reading the lyrics that show what they supposedly say, and mostly they just sound like garbled nonsense (except for 'Empty Spaces' by Pink Floyd, which really does have a message recorded backwards). But if you listen again, this time following along with the "backwards lyrics", then it'll sound a lot more like words. Power of suggestion, I guess...

I can recommend www.phonecallsfromthedead[/URL] site for info.

What ticks me off about this movie is that is primarily intended to scare, not inform. I can give you experiential, not factual. I think the EVP theme should be about communication and love, not fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone considered why SETI has not picked up any of these so-called EVPs? I mean c'mon, they are doing wide spectrum recording and analysis of 'white noise', Background Cosmic Radiation, in search of anything that looks likes signal or pattern that is not of a known terrestrial or stellar sources. Kinda kills the whole premise of the movie for me considering they have yet to report anything resembling these EVPs.

Look, do this: Record a whole bunch of white noise from wherever, perform a simple Fast Fourier Transform on the data and see if there is any 'spike' in the data that would suggest a pattern or signal. You may have something if you get a spike! For those of you who participate with SETI, this is what they are using your CPU for, FFTs of BCR.

I don't think SETI would notice. It would be treated like any local signal or noise and ignored. Radio Astronomers spend most of their time getting rid of noise problems. They also do simple tests to determine if a source is local or coming from a point in deep space.

Perhaps you are right Ivan. Then again I am not that familiar with their filtering procedures.

Either way the method would be just as valid in application. If there really was some kind of EVP then a FFT of the data would conclusively demonstrate that is was 'real' and not just the imaginings of the observer(s). Of course there are several problems with this whole notion of EVP.

I just saw "White Noise". It had no science whatsoever to support it. Just letting you know...

polyb said:
Perhaps you are right Ivan. Then again I am not that familiar with their filtering procedures.

Either way the method would be just as valid in application. If there really was some kind of EVP then a FFT of the data would conclusively demonstrate that is was 'real' and not just the imaginings of the observer(s). Of course there are several problems with this whole notion of EVP.

The website I linked to has instructions on how you can attempt to make your own recording. They seem to encourage the scientific testing of the recordings.

I think that's about it I agree, just about all electronic devices pick up interference it's a matter of time before some of it is a stray crackle of words picked up on a recorder, it's kind of weird when you think about, all the time their are all these words crackling through the air all around us from all over the place and if we had the right instruments we could pick up every one of them, also people have a tendency get carried away with what they don't understand but it's more exciting to not know how it works... the camcorders probably operate off the same principle, given enough time we are bound to pick up some stray transmission, if the camcorder had some rabbit ears and the protective interference shielding removed it would probably pick even more ghostly images, eventually one ought to be able to turn the tv on and see that they are recording a ghostly Dave Letterman show, but for now they are just ghostly enough, had they been less ghostly due to better reception there would be nothing to write a scary movie about and no one would have heard of it.

jammieg said:
I think that's about it I agree, just about all electronic devices pick up interference it's a matter of time before some of it is a stray crackle of words picked up on a recorder
Like I said earlier from what I have heard of them personally there are some that seem to me to be too great of quality to be random patterns. It would seem that if they aren't real than they are likely fake.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Like I said earlier from what I have heard of them personally there are some that seem to me to be too great of quality to be random patterns. It would seem that if they aren't real than they are likely fake.

The recordings don't exactly behave like random strings of words. Sometimes they will even answer questions - that can hardly be considered random. I again encourage anyone to try this for themselves if they want to evaluate it.

I agree. The recordings that I have heard were either faked, they are inexplicable, or they are stray signals from radio, ham, or otherwise. In many cases this is not just random noise.

1. What is the release date for "That EVP Movie Coming Out"?

The release date for "That EVP Movie Coming Out" has not been announced yet. Stay tuned for updates from the production team.

2. Who is starring in "That EVP Movie Coming Out"?

The cast for "That EVP Movie Coming Out" has not been announced yet. Stay tuned for updates from the production team.

3. Is "That EVP Movie Coming Out" based on a true story?

Yes, "That EVP Movie Coming Out" is based on a true story about a group of scientists who investigate paranormal activities through the use of EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena).

4. Will "That EVP Movie Coming Out" be scary?

Yes, "That EVP Movie Coming Out" is a horror film that will feature scary and suspenseful scenes. Viewer discretion is advised.

5. Where can I watch "That EVP Movie Coming Out"?

The distribution and streaming rights for "That EVP Movie Coming Out" have not been announced yet. Stay tuned for updates from the production team.