What is the intensity of sound 2?

In summary, the problem involves finding the intensity of sound 2, given that sound 1 has an intensity of 39.0 W/m^2 and sound 2 has an intensity level that is 2.5 dB greater than sound 1. Using the equation β=(10dB) logI/Io, where Io=10^-12 W/m^2, the intensity level of sound 2 can be found by setting 2.5 dB equal to 10 log(I2/39.0) and solving for I2.
eagles12

Homework Statement

Sound 1 has an intensity of 39.0 W/m^2. Sound 2 has an intensity level that is 2.5 dB greater than the intensity level of sound 1. What is the intensity of sound 2?

Homework Equations

I=energy/area*time
β=(10dB) logI/Io
Io=10^-12 W/m^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Intenisty 1= 39=energy/area*time
β for the second sound= 339.776
Using this i plugged in
339.776=(10dB) logI/Io
33.977=logI/Io
9.49*10^33=I/Io
and found I=9.5*10^21 but it is saying this is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
eagles12 said:

Homework Statement

Sound 1 has an intensity of 39.0 W/m^2. Sound 2 has an intensity level that is 2.5 dB greater than the intensity level of sound 1. What is the intensity of sound 2?

Homework Equations

I=energy/area*time
β=(10dB) logI/Io
Io=10^-12 W/m^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Intenisty 1= 39=energy/area*time
β for the second sound= 339.776
Using this i plugged in
339.776=(10dB) logI/Io
33.977=logI/Io
9.49*10^33=I/Io
and found I=9.5*10^21 but it is saying this is incorrect
I'm not following your logic on that. :uhh:

I think you might be making this problem harder than it is. When the problem statement says, "Sound 2 has an intensity level that is 2.5 dB greater than the intensity level of sound 1" that means,

[tex] 2.5 \ \mathrm{dB} = 10 \ \log \frac{I_2}{I_1} [/tex]
where I1 is given as 39.0 W/m2. Solve for I2. :wink:

What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the power of sound waves. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and represents the amount of energy per unit area that is transmitted through sound waves.

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a sound level meter, which measures the intensity of sound waves in decibels. This device uses a microphone to detect the sound waves and a display to show the measured intensity.

What factors affect the sound intensity of two sounds?

The sound intensity of two sounds can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the sound sources and the listener, the type of sound wave (e.g. longitudinal or transverse), and the properties of the medium through which the sound travels (e.g. air, water, or solid material).

How does sound intensity relate to loudness?

Sound intensity is one of the factors that can contribute to the perceived loudness of a sound. However, it is not the only factor, as the human ear is also sensitive to other characteristics of sound waves such as frequency and duration.

Can sound intensity be harmful?

Yes, sound intensity can be harmful if it exceeds certain levels. Prolonged exposure to high levels of sound intensity can cause hearing loss and other negative health effects. It is important to protect your hearing by avoiding prolonged exposure to loud sounds and using ear protection when necessary.