Prevalence of Creationism in USA Unchanged

• News
  • Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary: This, frankly, is sickening.The poll did not ask whether the respondents considered all pairs of the options mutually exclusive.the chicken had to come before the egg...Actually, that one is easy. The egg came first. Dinosaurs laid eggs, and chickens evolved from them.
KiwiKid
News like this makes me a little sad:

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process.

Complete report on Gallup.

Physics news on Phys.org
KiwiKid said:

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. The prevalence of this creationist view of the origin of humans is essentially unchanged from 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question. About a third of Americans believe that humans evolved, but with God's guidance; 15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process.

It's not all that surprising to me. The average Joe off the street doesn't have that much science education. If they are lucky maybe chemistry and biology 101 in high school. This leads people to form an uninspired and muddled view on the topic.

I believe aliens guided human evolution...

It's even more sad to see that..
15% say humans evolved, but that God had no part in the process.
... went down from 16% last time.

I believe evolution guided our creation of god.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's not all that surprising to me. The average Joe off the street doesn't have that much science education. If they are lucky maybe chemistry and biology 101 in high school. This leads people to form an uninspired and muddled view on the topic.
Further down in the report, they show that a plurality (46%) of college graduates are still Creationists. I think this suggests that it may not be so easy to dissolve the constructs that were carefully set up over the entirety of one's childhood. It's not for no reason that churches actively seek out and engage with very young children who are hardly equipped to question or debate the beliefs fed to them.

Gokul43201 said:
Further down in the report, they show that a plurality (46%) of college graduates are still Creationists.

Heck, to meet my science requirement in college I took Geology, that's it. There are hordes of very educated people out there with little science education.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Heck, to meet my science requirement in college I took Geology, that's it. There are hordes of very educated people out there with little science education.

I met a college graduate who was apparently a history teacher and said she hated to read when asked what her favourite book was. With teachers like that... :-/

TheStatutoryApe said:
I met a college graduate who was apparently a history teacher and said she hated to read when asked what her favourite book was. With teachers like that... :-/

Who needs to read when you have the History Channel?

KiwiKid said:

Doesn't bother me at all. Faith is something you have or you don't, and not just in religion. The world is round, flat, center of the universe or not, big bang is how it started or maybe not, atoms only have protons neutrons and electrons, the universe will continue to expand or it's own gravity will compell it to contract and repeat the process, the chicken had to come before the egg...

The difference is that all of those things have, y'know, evidence, much like evolution. Scientists don't need faith. They have math and experimentation.

This, frankly, is sickening.

The poll did not ask whether the respondents considered all pairs of the options mutually exclusive.

ThinkToday said:
the chicken had to come before the egg...

Actually, that one is easy. The egg came first. Dinosaurs laid eggs, and chickens evolved from them.

leroyjenkens said:
I believe evolution guided our creation of god.

I agree with leroyjenkens. Evolution of the human family naturally produced gods to satisfy the unknowns that our ancestors faced. Today when you sum the two largest religions (Christianity and Islam) you get around one third the human population of our planet. So what accounts for that huge number of believers? Our ancestors' "primitive minds" needed to create spirits to answer questions about where we came from, our natural environment, and where we are going.

Modern science, as we know it here on PF, is in its infancy. When compared to the unbroken chain of thousands of generations who continue to hand down spiritual myths to succeeding generations modern scientists are on the vanguard.

So 48% believe humans evolved, slightly more than those who don't. I don't know if that's statistically significant. I would like to see a poll among the 48% to find out how many believe in evolution as a matter of faith as opposed to those who actually know any of the science behind it.

the chicken had to come before the egg...
I think the egg probably came first. I don't know, but at the point in evolution where the chicken would be considered a chicken, they were probably hatching from eggs for a while.

1. What is the definition of creationism?

Creationism is the belief that the universe and living organisms were created by a divine being or deity, typically based on religious or mythological teachings.

2. How prevalent is creationism in the United States?

According to a 2019 Gallup poll, 40% of Americans believe in creationism, which has remained relatively unchanged since 1982. This means that a significant portion of the population still holds this belief.

3. Why has the prevalence of creationism in the US not changed over time?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One is that creationism is often tied to religious beliefs, which can be deeply ingrained and resistant to change. Additionally, the teaching of evolution in schools has been a contentious issue, with some states even passing laws that allow for the teaching of creationism alongside evolution.

4. Is there a difference in the prevalence of creationism among different demographics in the US?

Yes, there are some demographic differences in the prevalence of creationism. For example, older individuals and those living in the South tend to be more likely to believe in creationism. Additionally, those with lower levels of education and income are also more likely to hold this belief.

5. How does the prevalence of creationism in the US compare to other countries?

The prevalence of creationism in the US is relatively high compared to other developed countries. According to a 2019 Pew Research Center study, only about a third of Americans believe in evolution through natural selection, while the majority of people in countries such as Japan, Germany, and the United Kingdom accept this scientific explanation for the origins of life.