Total Elastic Potential Energy

In summary: Hope this helps!In summary, the problem involves finding the total elastic potential energy of a system consisting of two springs attached to a block of mass 5 kg. The natural length and modulus of elasticity for each spring is given. Using equations for EPE and tension, along with the fact that the system is in equilibrium, we can find the extensions of the two springs and calculate the total EPE. The correct values for the extensions are 3/11 and 8/11, resulting in a total EPE of 5.46 J.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is not my problem, it's a friends but I have no idea how to tackle it:

A block B of mass 5 kg is fastened to one end of each of two springs. The other ends of the springs are attached to fixed points A and C, 4 metres apart on a smooth horizontal surface, as shown in the diagram.

Spring AB has natural length 2 metres and modulus of elasticity 30 N, while BC has natural length 1 metre and modulus 40 N (you may assume that the springs meet at the centre of B).

Find the total elastic potential energy of the system in this position.

He knows it is something to do with:

[tex]\frac{\lambda_{AB} X_{AB}}{l_{AB}}=\frac{\lambda_{BC} X_{BC}}{l_{BC}}[/tex]

Can you help please in pointing him in the right direction (I'll give him the link to this thread)

Physics news on Phys.org
Elastic potential energy (EPE) is given by the equation:

[tex]EPE = \frac{\lambda}{2l}x^{2}[/tex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the modulus of elasticity, [itex]l[/itex] is the natural length and [itex]x[/itex] is the extension of the spring.

For this question, consider the springs AB and BC seperately. You have the modulus and natural length of both springs, so all you need to find is the extension. Seeing as the system is in equilibrium, then the tension in spring AB is the equal in magnitude to the tension in spring BC. Tension (T) is given by the equation:

[tex]T=\frac{\lambda}{l}x[/tex]

where the constants represent the same values as in EPE's equation.

Remember to take into consideration that the length of both springs is 4. You should now have a bunch of simultaneous equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, could you explain what you mean by the extension of the spring (value for x)?

Also for the second formula, how would you incorporate the fact that the total length is 4m? would you do an equation using the sum of the values for AB and BC?

Consider a spring, XY, of natural length 1m. If you pull that spring until it's length is, say, 1.5m, then its extension is 0.5m.

The total length of AB is 2+x and of BC is 1+y (where x & y are the extensions of AB & BC and 2 & 1 are their natural lengths, respectively). Since the total length of AC is 4, then: AB+BC=4.

Ok here's what i have so far...it look ok?

[tex] EPE_A_B = \frac{\lambda}{2l} x^2
= \frac{3}{4} 0.5^2
= 0.1875

[/tex]

or am i way off? i thought since the total length is 4m, and the sum of the spring lenths is 3m, and they are in equilibrium, that the extension of the spring would be the total length, minus the spring lengths, divided by the two (ie 0.5)

Hmm, nope, you're way off. :tongue2:

First we have:
2+x+1+y=4 => x+y=1

Second, consider the tension the the two springs:
(Remember since the system is in equilibrium, the tension in spring AB is equal to the tension in spring BC.)

[tex]T_{AB} = T_{BC}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\lambda_{AB}}{l_{AB}}x = \frac{\lambda_{BC}}{l_{BC}}y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{30}{2}x=\frac{40}{1}y[/tex]

And those are your two simultaneous equations. Solve them to get x and y.

You have to realize that the springs have different extensions (lengths and moduli, too), so they must be considered seperately. Once you have the values of x and y, obtain EPE for spring AB (using the value of x) and EPE for spring BC (using the value of y). For the total EPE, add these two up.

Last edited by a moderator:
well here we go...
x + y = 1
15x - 40y = 0

15x + 15y = 15
15x - 40y = 0

(2) - (1)

-65y = -15
65y = 15
y = 65/15
y = 3/13

x + y = 1
x + 3/13 = 13/13
x = 13/13 - 3/13
x = 10/13

[tex] EPE_{AB} = \frac{\lambda}{2l} x^2
= \frac{3}{4} X \frac{3}{13}^2
= \frac{3}{4} X \frac{9}{169}
= \frac{27}{676}
= 0.0399 \\
[/tex]

[tex]
EPE_{BC} = \frac{\lambda}{2l} x^2
= \frac{4}{2} X \frac{10}{13}^2
= 2 X \frac{100}{169}
= \frac{200}{169}
= 1.1834 \\

[/tex]

[tex]
EPE_{TOTAL} = 0.0399 + 1.1834
= 1.2233
[/tex]

i get the feeling I am way off...but i allways get that feeling...

Your method is correct, but your calculations are a bit off.

I got y=3/11 and x=8/11.
EPE_ab = (30/4) x^2 = 3.97
EPE_bc = (40/2) y^2 = 1.49
EPE_total = 3.97 + 1.49 = 5.46 J

What is total elastic potential energy?

Total elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an elastic object due to its deformation or displacement from its equilibrium position. It is the sum of the potential energies from all the individual components of the object, such as springs or rubber bands.

How is total elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating total elastic potential energy is: E = 1/2 * k * x^2, where E is the total elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What factors affect the total elastic potential energy of an object?

The total elastic potential energy of an object is affected by the spring constant, the displacement from the equilibrium position, and the number and arrangement of elastic components in the object.

How does total elastic potential energy relate to an object's elasticity?

Total elastic potential energy is a measure of an object's elasticity. The higher the total elastic potential energy, the more elastic the object is, meaning it can stretch or deform more before reaching its breaking point.

What is the difference between total elastic potential energy and total potential energy?

Total elastic potential energy is a type of potential energy that is specific to elastic objects, while total potential energy refers to the total amount of potential energy of an object, including gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy.