Ant on a Tightrope physics problem

• Thread starter anaksunamoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The ant is shaken off at the moment when the rope accelerates downward below all its six feet and this acceleration is at least as big as g. To get this value, the amplitude must exceed some minimum and you have to determine this minimum value of the amplitude.
anaksunamoon
I'm really confused where to start on this problem. I'm not sure what I need to solve it.

A large ant is standing on the middle of a circus tightrope that is stretched with tension "T_s". The rope has mass per unit length "mu". Wanting to shake the ant off the rope, a tightrope walker moves her foot up and down near the end of the tightrope, generating a sinusoidal transverse wave of wavelength "lambda" and amplitude "A". Assume that the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is "g".

What is the minimum wave amplitude "A_min" such that the ant will become momentarily weightless at some point as the wave passes underneath it? Assume that the mass of the ant is too small to have any effect on the wave propagation.
Express the minimum wave amplitude in terms of T_s, mu, lambda, and g.

Physics news on Phys.org
anaksunamoon said:
I'm really confused where to start on this problem. I'm not sure what I need to solve it.

A large ant is standing on the middle of a circus tightrope that is stretched with tension "T_s". The rope has mass per unit length "mu". Wanting to shake the ant off the rope, a tightrope walker moves her foot up and down near the end of the tightrope, generating a sinusoidal transverse wave of wavelength "lambda" and amplitude "A". Assume that the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is "g".

What is the minimum wave amplitude "A_min" such that the ant will become momentarily weightless at some point as the wave passes underneath it? Assume that the mass of the ant is too small to have any effect on the wave propagation.
Express the minimum wave amplitude in terms of T_s, mu, lambda, and g.

The ant becomes momentarily weightless when the piece of rope it stands on moves downward with acceleration g. There is a transverse wave propagating along the rope, its speed is

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T_s}{\mu}}[/tex].

The frequency f can be obtained from the wavelength and from the speed as

[tex] f = \frac{v}{\lambda} [/tex]

Assuming a sinusoidal wave of amplitude A, the maximum acceleration of the points of the rope is

[tex] a_{max} = \omega^2 A = 4\pi^2 f^2 A = g [/tex]

ehild

Little Problem

Okay since I'm solving for a_max, I need to use the variables g, f, A.

What I did was I inserted the values (v/lambda) for f in the equation 4*PI^2*f^2*A = g, then I inserted sqrt(T_s/mu) for "v". Then I divided that whole thing by g and I got it wrong.

This is what I came up with

(4*(PI^2)*A*(((sqrt(T_s/mu))*(1/lambda))^2))/g

Should it be negative since it's going downward? I think I'm on the right track, but I'm not sure. What does finding the maximum have to do with finding the minimum?

(btw, thanks echild)

anaksunamoon said:
Okay since I'm solving for a_max, I need to use the variables g, f, A.

What I did was I inserted the values (v/lambda) for f in the equation 4*PI^2*f^2*A = g, then I inserted sqrt(T_s/mu) for "v". Then I divided that whole thing by g and I got it wrong.

You have to find the minimum amplitude which yields an acceleration of maximum magnitude equal to g. The ant is shaken off at the moment when the rope accelerates downward below all its six feet and this acceleration is at least as big as g. I hope you understand what I mean :).

Do you remember the time dependence of the displacement, velocity and acceleration of a point which performs harmonic vibration? It is something like

[tex] y = A \cos (\omega* t) [/tex],

the velocity is [tex] v = -A \omega \sin (\omega* t) [/tex],

and the acceleration is

[tex] a = -A \omega^2 \cos (\omega* t)[/tex]

A is the amplitude of the wave traveling along the rope, and also the amplitude of vibration at the place of the ant. You have to find an appropriate A (how much you have to shake the rope) so as the acceleration some time during the vibration should be equal to g.

You see that the maximum acceleration during the vibration is

[tex] a_{max} = A* \omega^2 = 4\pi^2 f^2 [/tex].

It is enough if only the maximum of the acceleration is as big as g: the ant is shaken off at the moment when the acceleration reaches this value. To get this value, the amplitude must exceed some minimum and you have to determine this minimum value of the amplitude.

This is what I came up with

(4*(PI^2)*A*(((sqrt(T_s/mu))*(1/lambda))^2))/g

What does this stand for?

You need to give an equation in the form: "the minimum amplitude should be [tex] A_{min} = F(\lambda, \mu, T_s, g) [/tex]"

Anyway, do not forget that you have f^2, so the square root will cancel.

ehild

1. How does the tightrope affect the ant's movement?

The tightrope affects the ant's movement by providing a narrow and unstable surface for the ant to walk on. This requires the ant to use precise movements and adjustments in order to maintain balance and stay on the tightrope.

2. What forces are acting on the ant while it is on the tightrope?

The main forces acting on the ant while on the tightrope are gravity, which pulls the ant towards the center of the Earth, and tension, which is the force exerted by the tightrope to support the weight of the ant.

3. Can the ant fall off the tightrope?

Yes, the ant can fall off the tightrope if it loses its balance or if external factors such as wind or vibrations affect the stability of the tightrope. However, the ant's small size and ability to make quick adjustments in movement help it stay on the tightrope most of the time.

4. How does the ant maintain its balance on the tightrope?

The ant maintains its balance on the tightrope by constantly adjusting its position and center of mass in response to changes in gravity and tension. This is achieved through precise movements and coordination of its legs and body.

5. Is the ant's movement on the tightrope affected by its weight?

Yes, the ant's weight affects its movement on the tightrope as it determines the amount of tension needed to support its weight and the force required to maintain balance. A heavier ant may require more effort to maintain balance compared to a lighter ant.